NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ACU is a top D-II fb program. UIW has New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson's money and are in San Antonio. UNO has proved to be inept. We can't hang in D-I, we're going D-III, wait no one in D-III wants us, we'll go D-II and start fb, wait we need to move back to D-I, wait we still need 4 sports to get to the D-I minimum. No way does UNO play scholly fb if any fb in D-I. They'll be in the Pioneer or nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I agree the sports management of UNO has been horrendous but I read that they were interested in starting football at DII or FCS (not sure could be mistaken) but FYI after LSU Tulane and LA Tech, UNO was the most favored program in LA for me growing up, and while things have definately changed that prestige is still there (which is why people in LA were pissed that they dropped to DIII).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
I agree the sports management of UNO has been horrendous but I read that they were interested in starting football at DII or FCS (not sure could be mistaken) but FYI after LSU Tulane and LA Tech, UNO was the most favored program in LA for me growing up, and while things have definately changed that prestige is still there (which is why people in LA were pissed that they dropped to DIII).

They were gonna have 24 scholly fb in D-II but they only had to have 10 sports in D-II. Now they would have to go to 63 schollys and add 4 sports, plus match it w/ womens schollys for Title IX. They were your 4th favorite team in La., what does that mean? Texas is my 21st favorite team in Texas ;) , what does that mean? They have my favorite helmet/jersey of the Texas schools. There are 21 Texas D-I schools and 12 Louisiana D-I schools.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ACU is a top D-II fb program. UIW has New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson's money and are in San Antonio. UNO has proved to be inept. We can't hang in D-I, we're going D-III, wait no one in D-III wants us, we'll go D-II and start fb, wait we need to move back to D-I, wait we still need 4 sports to get to the D-I minimum. No way does UNO play scholly fb if any fb in D-I. They'll be in the Pioneer or nothing.

Really ACU a top D2 program....... no disrespect to you but I would rather have a d1 school that meets the requirements rather than wait x amount of years to become d1 and competitive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

braves86 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Really ACU a top D2 program....... no disrespect to you but I would rather have a d1 school that meets the requirements rather than wait x amount of years to become d1 and competitive.

ACU is a top D-II and has football. UTPA doesn't and UNO either won't or have do play in the non scholly pioneer league. I'm positive ACU could compete w/ the SLC now. X amount is 5 years. UTPA and UNO X amount is never. They have 11 schools now, you can go to 12-14 and wait 5 years for ACU and UIW to count. They'll have 9/12 w/ UNO. they'll have 10/12 w/ ACU.

If for some reason UNO thinks they'll have scholly fb then I see them being forced to drop to D-III soon after for making another stupid move.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Here are two other links that UNO is becoming DI but no mention of conference affiliation:

Video:
http://www.wwltv.com/video/featured-vid ... 35115.html

Link:
http://clarionherald.info/clarion/index ... Itemid=595

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Abilene with comments from Southland Conference Commish regarding possible league expansion with candidates "like" Texas Pan American,ACU, and Incarnate Word.He says expansion decision may be delayed past May 23 President's meeting date if MWC/C-USA expansion decisions have not been made by then.SLC appears to be "watching and waiting".Link at http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/m ... ssible-acu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Abilene with comments from Southland Conference Commish regarding possible league expansion with candidates "like" Texas Pan American,ACU, and Incarnate Word.He says expansion decision may be delayed past May 23 President's meeting date if MWC/C-USA expansion decisions have not been made by then.SLC appears to be "watching and waiting".Link at http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/m ... ssible-acu

I so no UNO, UNO thinks they're going to the SLC or back to the SBC.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I can for see some of these scenarios based some readings from other message boards:

UNO and UTPA getting invites being that they are solid D1 schools with UNO adding football.
or
Nothing happens at all. No D2 school or D1 school will be added.

Thanks HBU.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

braves86 wrote:
I can for see some of these scenarios based some readings from other message boards:

UNO and UTPA getting invites being that they are solid D1 schools with UNO adding football.
or
Nothing happens at all. No D2 school or D1 school will be added.

Thanks HBU.

I don't think the SLC wants to sit at 11 w/ HBU. They'll want 12 to get into div. and help scheduling. I think they'd rather have at least 1 of ACU and UIW from D-II that bring fb. I'm not sure if UNO is still going to have fb or scholly fb now that they are D-I again. D-II is a max of 36 schollys w/ 24 being the max in some D-II conf. FCS is 63. They could go to 14 and add all 3. I'm guessing 12 will be the # though.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:22 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Based on the last two weeks of the UNO board..... It looks like they are not adding football. However it opens the possibility of the four schools that want in may be looked at more carefully. The Southland meetings are schedule to start Sunday May 20 and last through the 23rd. It will be very interesting now that UNO will not fully commit to Football. Please Southland add UTPA. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The SLC has a bit of quandry with who is available. They may need for the dust to settle a bit more before choosing among the expansion candidates.

Assume UTA is going to be approved to join the Sun-Belt.

Is NMSU now on the market ? Will they be talking to Sun-Belt, Big Sky, SLC ?

SLC may have UTPA, UNO, NMSU to choose from in D-1, and then the various D-2 upgrades discussed elsewhee on this thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of San Antonio with comments from SLC Commish who says UNO membership presentation tomorrow will be the fourth so far this year.According to article no invites are expected during this week's league meetings.Link at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local- ... ew-orleans

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for the post, Freaked !

So we have UTPA, UIW, ACU, and UNO making formal applications.

NMSU is currently caught in limbo with the WAC collapsing. They could conceivably get an FB-only affiliate invitation from Sun-Belt.
But what would be their preference for a new home conference (MWC, CUSA, Sun-Belt invitation not in the offing) ?
Big Sky ?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Thanks for the post, Freaked !

So we have UTPA, UIW, ACU, and UNO making formal applications.

NMSU is currently caught in limbo with the WAC collapsing. They could conceivably get an FB-only affiliate invitation from Sun-Belt.
But what would be their preference for a new home conference (MWC, CUSA, Sun-Belt invitation not in the offing) ?
Big Sky ?

I hope they go to 14. I'd like to see UIW and ACU in D-I. That would put them at 11 for fb though. If UNO commited to fb then they'd evenually have a 12/14 setup by adding all but UTPA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next