NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

A Lamar admin told me Lamar was changing conferences. I am trying to figure out which one. Maybe MVC since they are losing schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

I read...a while back...that UNO had to drop their non scholarship fb squad due to budget cuts within their university system.

With that in mind....will the Southlands next school be a fb program? Since UNO and Corpus Christie will fill out the non fb schools at two.

Or will they be happy to stay at 11 fb schools?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
I read...a while back...that UNO had to drop their non scholarship fb squad due to budget cuts within their university system.

With that in mind....will the Southlands next school be a fb program? Since UNO and Corpus Christie will fill out the non fb schools at two.

Do to the more regionalized look of FCS conferences, the only option currently in FCS would be Missouri St but I'm not sure they would leave the Missouri Valley Conference where - if they left - would be a conference without a Missouri school. They could upgrade another Division II school, but with the recent Division II additions of Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word as well as the addition of recent Division I program and former Great West member Houston Baptist, I don't see the Southland moving forward with non-FCS schools for a while until the current league gets acclimated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:

Wasn't the whole reason they were invited was that they were starting a Football team? I doubt it would happen but could they go after Texas southern instead of going to division 2?

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Wasn't the whole reason they were invited was that they were starting a Football team? I doubt it would happen but could they go after Texas southern instead of going to division 2?

Actually, UNO (New Orleans) never had sponsored intercollegiate football on the varsity level (scholarship or non-scholarship alike). All I know was that it had a club football program. So I guess that the conversation for UNO to whether add football or not is still questionable (just like it is for UTA and UALR of the Sun Belt).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
46566 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Actually, UNO (New Orleans) never had sponsored intercollegiate football on the varsity level (scholarship or non-scholarship alike). All I know was that it had a club football program. So I guess that the conversation for UNO to whether add football or not is still questionable (just like it is for UTA and UALR of the Sun Belt).

UNO couldn't fund their fb program...even to the small degree they were doing it already. They don't have the money.
So, there shouldn't still be a question as to whether or not they will start fb....they won't.

As for UTA and UALR, which is a little different situation....I don't see either of these starting fb either. The SBC can't force them to start it...and, the schools themselves don't seem interested. So, I'm really not sure how there is any question at all. Neither will start fb any time soon.

Would I like them all to start fb....Sure, why not. Fb is great! Unfortunately, I don't have much pull with any of these institutions.

I think UNO will still be a good conference mate. They are a good match for Tx A&M CC...on the east side of the conference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
UNO couldn't fund their fb program...even to the small degree they were doing it already. They don't have the money.
So, there shouldn't still be a question as to whether or not they will start fb....they won't.

As for UTA and UALR, which is a little different situation....I don't see either of these starting fb either. The SBC can't force them to start it...and, the schools themselves don't seem interested. So, I'm really not sure how there is any question at all. Neither will start fb any time soon.

Would I like them all to start fb....Sure, why not. Fb is great! Unfortunately, I don't have much pull with any of these institutions.

I think UNO will still be a good conference mate. They are a good match for Tx A&M CC...on the east side of the conference.

Mozilla - Fine! I'll stop about that. :( But you know me and my absurd reasons about those two schools in the Sun Belt. Speaking of the Sun Belt, and after all those months away, have you thought any possible 2-4 schools from the Southland who's in line to join the SBC?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Mozilla - Fine! I'll stop about that. :( But you know me and my absurd reasons about those two schools in the Sun Belt. Speaking of the Sun Belt, and after all those months away, have you thought any possible 2-4 schools from the Southland who's in line to join the SBC?

The SBC didn't even have time to catch up to the last round of changes...and the whole thing has morphed and changed again. I think they want to evaluate the new rule changes...and then go from there. So, no Southland schools will be going to the Sun Belt for the near future. It appears.

And hey....we can always hope for UTA and UALR to see the fb sunshine. But, if it doesn't work financially...then it looks to be doubtful.

If the Southland does add a school...I like the idea of having a school near DFW, OKC, or Alabama...to expand the footprint into a new market without having to go too far.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
The SBC didn't even have time to catch up to the last round of changes...and the whole thing has morphed and changed again. I think they want to evaluate the new rule changes...and then go from there. So, no Southland schools will be going to the Sun Belt for the near future. It appears.

And hey....we can always hope for UTA and UALR to see the fb sunshine. But, if it doesn't work financially...then it looks to be doubtful.

If the Southland does add a school...I like the idea of having a school near DFW, OKC, or Alabama...to expand the footprint into a new market without having to go too far.

That's very unfortunate on the part of the SBC, which explains why it will be stable. Maybe let the 2014-15 season pass by so that the elite staff members of the conference can re-analyze before making any decision.

You know me, I still won't give up about UALR & UTA, regardless of what others said. However, in order for that to happen, both schools need the following. One of them is in financial terms (i.e. budgets, investment for facility rennovation/seat expansion), like you mentioned; others is approval by the staff members of those two schools; but most of all, have fan support within those schools' respective areas. Otherwise, it would be totally pointless.

When it comes for the Southland to add a school or two, how about Arkansas or Lousiana? Which is part of the West South Central U.S. geographic regional footprint. Haven't thought the D-II schools from those areas yet in scratch, but I'll eventually will "do my homework" on that in terms of sharing some possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'd like to see UTA and UALR start football too but unless they are presented with an ultimatum of starting a team or getting kicked out I think they will continue as they are. Both schools have nearby stadiums they could utilize--UTA would need to renovate and expand but its doable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I'd like to see UTA and UALR start football too but unless they are presented with an ultimatum of starting a team or getting kicked out I think they will continue as they are. Both schools have nearby stadiums they could utilize--UTA would need to renovate and expand but its doable.

Muskie - Logic, but realistic point you've made. Both UTA and UALR might be ok as non-football full members. But what happens if the FBS conferences (P-5 or Go5 alike) suddenly make a change of rules to allow ONLY full all-sports members with football, without involving football-only associate members or non-football all-sports members (except Notre Dame and BYU)? After all, the FBS and the FCS are two different realms within D-I football. So it might be possible for an ultimatum or such. But keep in mind that in Arlington there's the Rangers Ballpark as an alternate off-campus stadium for UTA. And although it might not happen, but I do hope that there might be an ultimatum by those schools, even if an upcoming turn of conference realignment gets involved or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Muskie - Logic, but realistic point you've made. Both UTA and UALR might be ok as non-football full members. But what happens if the FBS conferences (P-5 or Go5 alike) suddenly make a change of rules to allow ONLY full all-sports members with football, without involving football-only associate members or non-football all-sports members (except Notre Dame and BYU)? After all, the FBS and the FCS are two different realms within D-I football. So it might be possible for an ultimatum or such. But keep in mind that in Arlington there's the Rangers Ballpark as an alternate off-campus stadium for UTA. And although it might not happen, but I do hope that there might be an ultimatum by those schools, even if an upcoming turn of conference realignment gets involved or not.

Why would they use the Ranger's ball park when its literally next door to Cowboy's stadium?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Why would they use the Ranger's ball park when its literally next door to Cowboy's stadium?

Because maybe some other FBS non-P5 school from the Dallas area might use Cowboys Stadium, such as a TCU or a SMU or a North Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Because maybe some other FBS non-P5 school from the Dallas area might use Cowboys Stadium, such as a TCU or a SMU or a North Texas.

North Texas just built a brand new stadium.
SMU isn't anywhere near Arlington for home games. Cotton Bowl is much closer and has plenty of seating for a SMU game.
TCU.....maybe? Doubt they would give up too many on campus games for JerryWorld....but, money talks.

I don't know if The Ball Park in Arlington would fit football. It's a pretty tight field.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

North Texas just built a brand new stadium.
SMU isn't anywhere near Arlington for home games. Cotton Bowl is much closer and has plenty of seating for a SMU game.
TCU.....maybe? Doubt they would give up too many on campus games for JerryWorld....but, money talks.

I don't know if The Ball Park in Arlington would fit football. It's a pretty tight field.

Ok, so North Texas and SMU are out of the question, as well as TCU. Anyways, back to UTA, the Rangers Ballpark of Arlington might fit, just as long as it will hold up the FBS minimum of 30,000 seats in the stadium. If it's pretty tight, even better, just some minor tweak modifications or so; giving time for UTA to expand Mavericks Stadium (if the school chooses to add football, plus having money to invest on said expansions, etc.). Might be worth a try, who knows? Besides, look at UTSA, who's also a recently new football program like South Alabama, they have the Alamodome (an off-campus stadium for Greater San Antonio) and put some 25k-30k butts on those seats of a nearly 50k-60k facility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next