NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Ok, so North Texas and SMU are out of the question, as well as TCU. Anyways, back to UTA, the Rangers Ballpark of Arlington might fit, just as long as it will hold up the FBS minimum of 30,000 seats in the stadium. If it's pretty tight, even better, just some minor tweak modifications or so; giving time for UTA to expand Mavericks Stadium (if the school chooses to add football, plus having money to invest on said expansions, etc.). Might be worth a try, who knows? Besides, look at UTSA, who's also a recently new football program like South Alabama, they have the Alamodome (an off-campus stadium for Greater San Antonio) and put some 25k-30k butts on those seats of a nearly 50k-60k facility.

I understand you have the idea in mind about the Rangers Ball Park...but, the owners are not going to reconstruct the stadium, which holds plenty of people, to fit football. When there is a brand new world class fb stadium....next door. It just doesn't make any sense.
There are High School stadiums that would work fine...in the mean time...if that was the problem stopping fb from being sponsored, which it isn't.

UTA just doesn't want fb. So, trying to work out issues that aren't really problems seems self defeating. When the main problem is support from the school, itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Ok, so North Texas and SMU are out of the question, as well as TCU. Anyways, back to UTA, the Rangers Ballpark of Arlington might fit, just as long as it will hold up the FBS minimum of 30,000 seats in the stadium. If it's pretty tight, even better, just some minor tweak modifications or so; giving time for UTA to expand Mavericks Stadium (if the school chooses to add football, plus having money to invest on said expansions, etc.). Might be worth a try, who knows? Besides, look at UTSA, who's also a recently new football program like South Alabama, they have the Alamodome (an off-campus stadium for Greater San Antonio) and put some 25k-30k butts on those seats of a nearly 50k-60k facility.

I understand you have the idea in mind about the Rangers Ball Park...but, the owners are not going to reconstruct the stadium, which holds plenty of people, to fit football. When there is a brand new world class fb stadium....next door. It just doesn't make any sense.
There are High School stadiums that would work fine...in the mean time...if that was the problem stopping fb from being sponsored, which it isn't.

UTA just doesn't want fb. So, trying to work out issues that aren't really problems seems self defeating. When the main problem is support from the school, itself.

If UTA (like UALR) doesn't want fb, then why did they plan to leave an FCS conference to join an FBS conference in the process, even with or without plans to re-instate fb?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

If UTA (like UALR) doesn't want fb, then why did they plan to leave an FCS conference to join an FBS conference in the process, even with or without plans to re-instate fb?

I don't know what fb has to do with this...but, I believe they wanted to stick with Texas State and UTSA. That's why they moved to the WAC. Then when UTSA went to CUSA...they stuck with Texas State...and went to the SBC.

UTA may change their mind in the future. But, for now...I think we have to accept that they have stopped any fb planning. Unless, ...you think that UTA is planning a sneak attack in DI football? :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I don't know what fb has to do with this...but, I believe they wanted to stick with Texas State and UTSA. That's why they moved to the WAC. Then when UTSA went to CUSA...they stuck with Texas State...and went to the SBC.

UTA may change their mind in the future. But, for now...I think we have to accept that they have stopped any fb planning. Unless, ...you think that UTA is planning a sneak attack in DI football? :ugeek:

That's what I heard or saw from certain references before UTA (along with UTSA and Texas St.) left the Southland to join the WAC during mid-2012. But like I mostly say: "Only time will tell." But for now, both UTA and UALR will stick to the plan as non-football members.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

That's what I heard or saw from certain references before UTA (along with UTSA and Texas St.) left the Southland to join the WAC during mid-2012. But like I mostly say: "Only time will tell." But for now, both UTA and UALR will stick to the plan as non-football members.

UTA saw that the Southland was about to suck.

Houston Baptist, Abliene Christian, Incarnate Word, and New Orleans coming in...

UTSA, Texas St, and possibly Lamar, Sam Houston, and SFA heading out...

They wanted to be associated with the group going out. Its that simple and it has almost nothing to do with football.

Given a chance any basketball school in the Midwest would love to join a FBS conference like the Big Ten or MAC because of the prestigue.

UTA wanted to associate with the schools they consider their peers.

But if they do decide to start fb (I think they said they would look at the issue again next year) they would either do their own stadium or lease Cowboys for home games. TCU doesn't play home games in Cowboys stadium, they've played twice in the kickoff game but that was beofre they finish remodeling their own stadium. UTA would only have to schedule around the Cowboy Classic kickoff game and the Baylor/Tech game which shouldn't be too hard to do if they wanted to use it.

Post subject: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The lack of a move by the Sun Belt this time around may be indication that UTA Football is still on the table. At this point UTA would not be bowl-eligible before 2018, but I believe the timing works for UTA to replace Idaho. If one of the usual suspects says they're ready before then, the SBC still has an opening.

UTA also worked for the Sun Belt to replace North Texas, keep UALR from being the only non-football member (replacing Denver and New Orleans), and the travel situation works out well.

Also there is no minimum stadium requirement, so anything above 15,000 (the supposed attendance minimum for FBS) will work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 am 
Senior
Senior

Getting back to the Southland....

What schools are on the short list for addition to the Southland for fb and non-fb?

Fb: Tarleton State, ...

non-FB: UT RGV, ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Getting back to the Southland....

What schools are on the short list for addition to the Southland for fb and non-fb?

Fb: Tarleton State, ...

non-FB: UT RGV, ...

Hmm. How about these?

FB: Tarleton St., West Texas A&M
Non-FB: UTPA (soon to be UT-RGV), Texas Woman's (should be renamed and add men's sports)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:32 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Texas Woman's (should be renamed and add men's sports)

Awwww....I got a great laugh at that one.
Thanks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Texas Woman's (should be renamed and add men's sports)

Awwww....I got a great laugh at that one.
Thanks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I try to be funny, but I meant no disrespect to that university either. Anyways, it would be worth a try for that school in particular to rebrand itself. Most recently, that school haves some success on certain sports (women's basketball in 2011 and softball in 2013). Plus, they're also recently co-ed, despite not having men's sports yet (which they eventually should). And once men's sports would be added, the school must rename itself to either the following:

Texas State University-Denton, or
University of Denton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't see the Southland adding anyone unless if they wind up at 12/13 with the lone non-football school being A&M-Corpus Christi. Even then, A&M-CC may head to the WAC to join UTRGV. That one NCAA unit being split four extra ways doesn't help the Southland. A&M-CC can still play all of the Southland schools out of conference, which can actually work better in some contexts (like midweek baseball and softball games). Basketball would only have 3 long weekend trips each year (Bakersfield/Seattle, Grand Canyon/Utah Valley, UMKC/Chicago State). If the Islanders have to start men's soccer, the WAC is very Texas-centric in that sport (UTPA, HBU, UIW).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
I don't see the Southland adding anyone unless if they wind up at 12/13 with the lone non-football school being A&M-Corpus Christi. Even then, A&M-CC may head to the WAC to join UTRGV. That one NCAA unit being split four extra ways doesn't help the Southland. A&M-CC can still play all of the Southland schools out of conference, which can actually work better in some contexts (like midweek baseball and softball games). Basketball would only have 3 long weekend trips each year (Bakersfield/Seattle, Grand Canyon/Utah Valley, UMKC/Chicago State). If the Islanders have to start men's soccer, the WAC is very Texas-centric in that sport (UTPA, HBU, UIW).

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, the lone non-football school? Isn't New Orleans a non-football school, despite once having club football?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:15 am 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:

Tx A&M CC will not go to the WAC.
Other than UTRGV.....every other school in the Southland Conference is closer to Tx A&M CC than New Mexico State. Why would they trade that for the extended travel of the WAC. It wouldn't make financial sense.
Even Central Arkansas is closer than NMSU to Corpus Christie.

So, Tx A&M CC is going to trade 12 games with travel of less than 700 miles.....for one game that is less than 700 miles and 7 games of more than 700 miles(two schools are near 2500 miles away)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, the lone non-football school? Isn't New Orleans a non-football school, despite once having club football?

UNO plans to start football. The longer the Privateers don't have it, the better for A&M-CC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

UNO plans to start football. The longer the Privateers don't have it, the better for A&M-CC.

What do you mean? Like, UNO doesn't have a projected set date to start football yet? In other words, they still remain a non-football all-sports member of the Southland like TAMU-CC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next