NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:49 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

If the football schools of the A-10 and Colonial conferences form their own I-AA football league - AND then the remaining Non-Football playing members of those two conferences get together and add Charlotte (C-USA), Charleston (Southern) and Georgia State (Atlantic Sun) to form a new league, it would immediately be a Top 10 conference. Here are the schools and their RPI:

[PA] St. Joe's (27)
[PA] Drexel (87)
[DC] George Washington (164)
[DC] George Mason (116)
[VA] Va Commonwealth (120)
[VA] Old Dominion (195)
[NC] Charlotte (95)
[NC] UNCW (51)
[SC] College of Charleston (67)
[GA] Georgia State (218)

ADVANTAGES:
* This new league would not have to deal with football issues
/me Each team is located in a medium to large city allowing easier travel, good media coverage and the potential for a good TV package

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:54 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

The A-10 schools (George Washington and Saint Joseph's) are not likely to be relegated to a conference of a lesser caliber (e.g. the one proposed) any time soon. Besides, it would take at least five years for this new conference to obtain an automatic bid to the NCAAs.

The C-USA school (UNC-Charlotte) may be more limited in its future options if the conference were to dissolve, in a situation faced by its former Sun Belt and Metro Conference rival, Virginia Commonwealth. Upon the dissolution of the Metro, VCU was grudgingly pushed towards the CAA, and its restrictions (demographics, geography) were similar to those that could confront UNCC in the near future.

Georgia State competes at a level far below the other schools mentioned. The presence of Lefty Driesell and an NCAA win (2001) provided a fleeting credibility. In the early 1980s, charter member GSU resigned from the Sun Belt Conference rather than remain a perennial doormat to teams such as UNCC, VCU, UAB, and USF.

Sometimes in realignment musings, people forget about the relative short-term successes of schools like Georgia State, Valparaiso, and Kent. While Valpo may have a better track record as far as conference domination is concerned it must be noted that most recent MidCon expansion has involved extending invitations to schools that have not been playing for very long on the D-I level (e.g. Oakland, IUPUI, UMKC) or have been "left behind" at one point or another (Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah). However, if Valparaiso were more "accessible" (i.e. Youngstown State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee) they would undoubtedly be the 10th member of the Horizon League right now. If Valpo were somehow admitted to the Horizon, I don't know that their impact would be similar to those of Marshall in the MAC (football) or Fresno State's first two years in the WAC (also football).

Last edited by yungwun on Sun May 18, 2003 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
The A-10 schools (George Washington and Saint Joseph's) can do much better than that, and besides, it would take at least five years for this conference to obtain an automatic NCAA bid.

The five-year wait is the key element in basketball. Only the "big boys" of college basketball will be able to to form a new power conference. This is either the remnants of the Big East basketball or football in some kind of split. Mid Majors can't afford to take the risk of not getting an invite to the dance. The RPI's listed above don't get it done. A 32nd basketball conference will be the "Phoenix" conference that rises from the ashes of the basketball/football split that could occur from BigEast/CUSA divorces in those sports. All the 'little guys' will just move up and re-align into higher rated conferences to fill any holes (slots) left in higher level power conferences. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:55 am 
Freshman
Freshman

With increase expenses due to rising tuition, travel and Title IX, it makes more sense to connect schools that have common philosophy and are close geographically.

Look at how simular these non-football playing public universities are in size:

TEXT
Adding two schools in Philly would bring in that market, even if they may not have as much in common. These schools would never have to deal with the "football" issue. They are solid high-major programs with good locations that provide natural travel partners to reduce that increasing expense.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:58 am 
Freshman
Freshman

for some reason the text didn't post, let me try again.

George Washington (22,184)
George Mason (24,897)
Va Commonwealth (25,001)
Old Dominion (19,627)
Charlotte (18,308)
UNCW (10,599)
Charleston (11,428)
Georgia State (25,745)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:57 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

"it makes more sense to connect schools that have common philosophy and are close geographically."

6 public universities, 4 private universities (1 Roman Catholic). Stretches from Philadelphia to Atlanta.

"Adding two schools in Philly would bring in that market, even if they may not have as much in common."

There are still 4 other "big-time" BB programs in Philadelphia not included in this conference (LaSalle, Penn, Temple, Villanova). Drexel is not a member of the "Big Five," but is a private university.

Last edited by yungwun on Sun May 18, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:59 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

After viewing the original premise (or what appears to have been the original premise, since A-10 and CAA schools already have their own football league) I did some thinking. I do not think that A-10 Football is a good fit as an all-sports conference, especially as it is likely that such conference would be waiting 5 years for an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, although the A-10 schools (UMass, Rhode Island, Richmond, Temple) could negate that factor some years (however, this conference would have lower RPI than current A-10). Temple has replaced Villanova, and the following alignments presupposed that A-10 Football as an all-sports conference is the starting point for conference realignment and that other issues (i.e. ACC/BEast) do not affect the situation. Conferences directly affected (America East, A-10, CAA) are show with new alignments, and so are current member schools, as applicable.

[Yankee Conference]
North: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Rhode Island, Temple
South: Delaware, Hofstra, James Madison, Richmond, Towson, William & Mary

A-10: Butler, Dayton, Detroit, Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, LaSalle, Saint Bonaventure, Saint Joseph's, Xavier

America East (also football member*)
East: Central Connecticut State*, Hartford, Monmouth*, Sacred Heart*, Stony Brook*, Wagner*
West: Albany*, Binghamton, UMBC, Robert Morris*, Saint Francis(PA)*, Vermont
[A-East retains automatic NCAA bid by virtue of bringing in 6 NEC schools (UMBC excluded), I-AA nonscholarship football is now sponsored]

CAA (also football member*)
North: Drexel, George Mason, Liberty*, Old Dominion, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Military*
South: Charleston Southern*, Coastal Carolina*, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Wilmington, Radford, Winthrop
[CAA retains automatic NCAA bid by virtue of bringing in 6 Big South schools (VMI excluded), CAA Football replaces Big South Football]

Patriot League: American, Army, Boston U., Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh, Navy

This scenario more or less destroys the NEC and the Big South, as they are left with 5 members and 2 members, respectively.

As stated earlier, this situation is hypothetical, and A-10 Football will not transform into an all-sports conference anytime soon. However, the specter has been raised that perhaps I-AA football will become more of a determinant in all-sports conference alignment than it already is. Issues surrounding the A-10/CAA situation support this, and its ramifications could further impact the Missouri Valley (Gateway) Conferences. It's an interesting idea, but as it remains, I-AA football is not a revenue-enhancing sport at most schools and anomalies ("A-10" football, the Gateway Conference) will probably remain, short of NCAA legislation.

The biggest issue right now in "mid-major" conference realignment is the rule requiring at least 6 members of a conference having been together for 5 years before an automatic NCAA bid can be extended. Am I interpreting the rule correctly? I would hate to think that I am not, and I don't how long it has been in place. Certain conference expansions/mergers seem to support its logic (American South-Sun Belt 1991, Mid-Continent Conference-Horizon League 1994), but others do not ( formation of the Patriot League, 1991). Does anyone have any more information on this rule or know of conferences who have lost automatic bids and later regained them as a result of this rule (e.g. Mid-Con, TAAC/A-Sun)?

Last edited by yungwun on Sun May 18, 2003 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

How about realigning the whole Northeast including the CAA, Big East, Atlantic 10 and NEC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:57 am 
The entire country needs to be realigned for conferences.

The OVC, Southlant, Big South, A-Sun, SoCon, CAA, MVC, Patriot, A-10, American East, CUSA, Big East, etc etc etc

It all needs to get a good reorg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:57 pm 
Maybe if the NCAA "stayed" the 6/5 requirements for a limited period of years...and all conference TV deals expired at the same time...the logistics make such thoughts a pipe dream...of the conferences you mentioned, Atlantic Sun seems to be coming into its own (small private Southern schools) with the exception of ETSU (and mentioned future members Kennesaw State and North Florida)...