NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:17 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
The whole Big Sky Conference will move to Division 1-A soon at least by 2005.

You know, I don't think the idea of every big sky member being Div1 eventually (soon) is all too farfetched---even with the attendence rules. I would say by 2015 most of them will be. The WAC would be smart to get into some sort of alliance with the BSKY---it would help the WAC survive, assist buble schools if they fail the Div1 jump, and eases the BSKY migration. If you look at the WAC+BIG SKY+ about 4-5 IAA Independents, you can see 2 sunbelt/WAC level conferences emerging sitting under the PAC 10 and MWC footprints. ANd they could also pull some decent TV deals. There are some NICE media markets out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

You know, I don't think the idea of every big sky member being Div1 eventually (soon) is all too farfetched---even with the attendence rules. I would say by 2015 most of them will be. The WAC would be smart to get into some sort of alliance with the BSKY---it would help the WAC survive, assist buble schools if they fail the Div1 jump, and eases the BSKY migration. If you look at the WAC+BIG SKY+ about 4-5 IAA Independents, you can see 2 sunbelt/WAC level conferences emerging sitting under the PAC 10 and MWC footprints. ANd they could also pull some decent TV deals. There are some NICE media markets out there.

For some Big Sky members, it is very far fetched. I just don't see Eastern Washington, Weber State, Idaho State as being I-A material. I even have my doubts about Sacramento State as well. Montana, Montana St, Portland St, and N. Arizona might be able to make it though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:11 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:

I really like your idea of a Big Sky-WAC alliance. It definitely would ease movements up to 1A and down to 1AA. I don't think the WAC would do it, though. They would then be perceived as a bottom-dweller conference barely above 1AA level. OK, so the WAC is perceived that way now by many, but any agreement with a 1AA conference would keep it from ever raising its status.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:25 pm 
Junior
Junior

The WAC has possbly the best potential future of any non-BCS conference 5-10 years down the road, but only if they get Boise, Hawaii, and Fresno to committ---and SJ St. survives the Div 1 sniff test. There are some great Div 1 schools waiting to happen in their back yard.

Last edited by finitemanworks on Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:25 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Finite, I couldn't agree more. Utep will also be a big hitter for the WAC in the coming years. With any luck the MWC will not be able to agree on any teams outside of TCU and La. Tech moves to C-USA. and the conference will stay together. In another couple years perception will have changed and MWC teams will want to move west.

Last edited by socalvalleydog on Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:54 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I do not think so. AFA, BYU, Utah and possibly CSU and Wyoming are almost certainly blocking Fresno. UNLV will block any expansion that does not include Nevada, New Mexico will block expansion that does not include a Texas team and SDSU will block any expansion not inlcuding Fresno or Hawaii.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:51 pm 
You are right on about the potential of the WAC - IF it were allowed some time to develop organically. But the incredible greed driving this consolidation will likely make that impossible. The loss of the eastern WAC is a step in the right direction. If BSU, FSU, UH were to stay, I could see rivalries flourishing and UTEP, USU, UNR and (maybe) UNT becoming regular contenders. The upside, to the MWC, of taking 1 or 2 top WAC teams is they cripple a league that could be their equal in a short time.

But back on subject: If the WAC is weakened by departures, there really isnt anyone in the wings. Below is a link of 1-AA attendance figures and Montana is the only one west of the Mississippi even close to meeting attendance requirements, and previous posts indicate they are tied to Montana State. I dont know if a deflated WAC can make it long enough for MSU, NDSU, SDSU, or NAU to be ready.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Good post, White Guy. I had no idea that UMass and Villanova drew so poorly. No help for the Big East there. Idaho St looks weak. That Siena program must be proud.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:58 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Great link WhiteGuy. It appears that E. Washington is ready for stadium expansion and have good potential to draw much more than they do now, but you are correct IAA west of the Mississippi, looks bleak.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Delaware to the Big East! 8-) Go, Hens!! :D :o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I agree with you there, FF.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:34 am 
Junior
Junior

Delaware definitely has the goods to move up to 1-A, with the right conference affiliation, of course.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So now we have North Florida and Kennesaw St moving up from Division 2 to Division 1-AA can anyone think of anyone else moving up? Besides Longwood University and Utah Valley St.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

KSU is moving up only for women's soccer and one other sport. They currently do not have football but are contemplating the possibilities. Killer baseball and softball squads, and they seem to win lots of DII titles in different sports. Current enrollment is around 18k, and it's in a well off area of the north Atlanta suburbs. Near where I grew up, actually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next