NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:08 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
KSU is moving up only for women's soccer and one other sport. They currently do not have football but are contemplating the possibilities. Killer baseball and softball squads, and they seem to win lots of DII titles in different sports. Current enrollment is around 18k, and it's in a well off area of the north Atlanta suburbs. Near where I grew up, actually.

hey gunner read this about ksu moving up

http://www.ksuowls.com/division1.shtml

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.i-aa.com/news/article_3128.shtml

Read this article guys it sounds like to me that the Big Sky, MEAC, and Southern are looking to move up to 1-A.

Last edited by footballgod on Fri May 28, 2004 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sure, let them all in. A 500 school IA is just what we need. C'mon.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think there will be 500 but maybe close to 200 but its over schools like in the pfl will probably drop to D2.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:04 am 
Senior
Senior

IMHO the attendance rules need to be enforced for schools moving up to 1A from 1AA. You can argue for or against enforcing them for current members, but a school that cannot put 15k in the stands on a regular basis does NOT have the financial resources to compete at the 1A level. The whole idea of 1AA was to seperate the 40k+ programs from the 10K- programs.

I would even argue for a three division set up. A - under 15K, B- 15k-35k, C- over 35k. A and B would have a play-off. C could if it wanted, but would probably stay with the present bowl situation ($).

Please note that this would not only let some of the smaller 1A schools compete for a National Championship, but help the BYU type schools as well. BYU would probably be able to finally join a BCS conference to replace a smaller school tha went to 1B.
Also note that there would be fewer "body-bag" games. 1B's would not need them, since they would be competing against other 1B's, and 1C's (currently large 1As) would not want to take the SoS hit.

The number of schlorships for 1B would probably be less than that for 1C, but that is as it should be. You need 35-40k fans to pay for 85 FB and another 85 womens schlorships. With 3 divisions, you can have overlap between the max for a lower division and the min for the next higher. This would let teams that have the fan base be competative their fist year.

FBfan

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
IMHO the attendance rules need to be enforced for schools moving up to 1A from 1AA. You can argue for or against enforcing them for current members, but a school that cannot put 15k in the stands on a regular basis does NOT have the financial resources to compete at the 1A level. The whole idea of 1AA was to seperate the 40k+ programs from the 10K- programs.

I would even argue for a three division set up. A - under 15K, B- 15k-35k, C- over 35k. A and B would have a play-off. C could if it wanted, but would probably stay with the present bowl situation ($).

Please note that this would not only let some of the smaller 1A schools compete for a National Championship, but help the BYU type schools as well. BYU would probably be able to finally join a BCS conference to replace a smaller school tha went to 1B.
Also note that there would be fewer "body-bag" games. 1B's would not need them, since they would be competing against other 1B's, and 1C's (currently large 1As) would not want to take the SoS hit.

The number of schlorships for 1B would probably be less than that for 1C, but that is as it should be. You need 35-40k fans to pay for 85 FB and another 85 womens schlorships. With 3 divisions, you can have overlap between the max for a lower division and the min for the next higher. This would let teams that have the fan base be competative their fist year.

FBfan

fbfan I think the 1-AA level has found a loophole in system just like most laws. as for splitting it up I see division 1A and 1AA merge back to division 1 and the rest will be put back down to D2 or maybe even D3 imho.

Then it would take 5 to 7 years to move up to D1 from D2 or D3 a compliance rule would be enforced big time then.

IMHO i see the NCAA getting rid of 1AA and make it D1 just like basketball.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

fbfan I think the 1-AA level has found a loophole in system just like most laws. as for splitting it up I see division 1A and 1AA merge back to division 1 and the rest will be put back down to D2 or maybe even D3 imho.

Then it would take 5 to 7 years to move up to D1 from D2 or D3 a compliance rule would be enforced big time then.

IMHO i see the NCAA getting rid of 1AA and make it D1 just like basketball.

Or the 5-8 major conferences might just get rid of the NCAA.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Or the 5-8 major conferences might just get rid of the NCAA.

That would be the smartest move ever by the major conferences then they want have to worry about strip joints and other junk. IMHO I hope they do.

One question thou who would control these schools a commish or the federal government?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:31 am 

Quote:

That would be the smartest move ever by the major conferences then they want have to worry about strip joints and other junk. IMHO I hope they do.

One question thou who would control these schools a commish or the federal government?

This would be a very unwise move. No NCAA - No rules - anarchy

Then the BCS would basically become the minor leagues for the NFL. The players wouldn't have to go to school. They would demand to be paid. It doesn't make sense financially. It will never happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

Actually, my idea was a way for the BCS conferences to "leave" the NCAA without really leaving. The 1C or 1AAA (scholls with attendance over 200k per year) would be made up of schools from the BCS conferences plus a coupe of the larger non BCS schools like BYU. Much of the problems with the 85 schlorship rules and the BCS stem from half of 1A not being competative with the other half. The current BCS conferences would totally contol 1C. The non BCS 1A conferences would control 1B. All of division 1AA would move up to 1A. ;)

1C could vote to increase the number of FB schlorships without directly effecting 1B. All the divisions could impose rules that required schools to balance their FB budget. (i.e. A school might lose money in its athletic department, but NOT on its FB program.) Or, they might require the athletic deptartments to break even.

FBfan

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/articles/2004/05/30/sports/sports1.txt

Texas State to 1-A and Lamar, UT-San Antonio and Texas-Arlington bringing back football.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Any other schools moving uo soon. It seems to me lamar and others are about to get their football program back. Does this mean pacific will bring back their's?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

If I were the WAC, I would be talking to a few schools seeing how I could help them gain 1-A status. Pacific would be among them along with Sac. St., UC-Davis, and maybe Portland St. I've always kind of liked Cal Poly-SLO too, but I don't thgink they have what it takes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If I were in the WAC, I would desperately be trying to convince the MWC they needed to expand to include me or the Pac10 that they needed to go to 12 and pick off Utah out of the MWC.

Schools in California have been rapidly dropping fb. There just is not fan support. Too much of that huge population is in 2 metro areas where there are already 5 I-A schools.

Sac St. and Portland St. are just too much of commuter schools. All the commuter schools are struggling. It would be too difficult to upgrade and each faces Pac10 competition.

I only see 3 schools in the west with the potential. Obviously Montana could if they wanted. UC-Davis, in time, since they are a highly regarded school academically and not so much of a commuter school, but still close to a large population base (Sacremento and the Bay area w/o actually being in the Bay area), has the potential. The other school would be Cal Poly SLO. They clearly don't have what it takes right now, but they are about midway between SF and LA in a growing metro area of 250k. I think they could get there. In the midwest or south they fit the perfect profile for a I-A school.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next