Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:02 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pacific
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:14 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

im pretty sure pacific had football, so is that why they left the wcc? any chance they could rejoin cause it would make a lot of since as big west would be public california schools while wcc would be private california schools, plus zaga and portland? i know they are not religious but it still would be cool to see pacific v. gonzaga.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:29 am 
Apparently, UOP was founded as a Methodist institution...I'm not sure when this affiliation ceased...

http://collegesportsinfo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58&start=15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:31 pm 
I actually thought of that the other day....although I didn't know they used to be in the WCC.
Would be another quality member, and would balance out scheduling. One of the moves that would really make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't recall them being in the WCC. They've been in the Big West for the longest time, and I think they were the last California football school in that conference (trying to remember if Pacific was in the conference after San Jose State joined the WAC).

I saw handful of Pacific games when I lived in the Bay Area. They were not well attended, and the stadium "seating" was a train wreck in search of tracks. They were kept alive by the "Quarterback Club" (per some testimony from other fans) that were fairly well-heeled, but apparently not enough to help the AD promote in Stockton. Let's just say that Stockton isn't Boise, even if there's slightly more people in the market.

Ironically, I believe the seating (not sure how much of it) was replaced after Pacific football shut down. Amos Alonzo Stagg Stadium has been used for 49ers training camp and the odd soccer game or two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:39 am 
http://wccsports.collegesports.com/school-bio/west-school-bio.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thank you. My research time is limited of late.

Can't deny that Pacific makes some sense for reinclusion. I know I've mentioned other sports where Pacific enjoys current rivalries in the Big West.

Does WCC want to expand? Do they want to expand to 9?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

WCC isn't interested unless something has changed in the last couple of years. UCSB and Pacific both applied a couple of years ago but were turned down. WCC liked being a grouping of religious schools.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:50 pm 
Are any of the current WCC members "historically" religious institutions (ala UOP)?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:02 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

oh yeah. if im not mistaken all are religious except maybe one, and all are private schools. i looked at the sports pacifc offered, and they could make the move except for their men's and women's swimming programs. while a wcc women's swimming could be possibly configured if pacific were to jump, men's just seemed out of the question therefore making it less of a positive to move.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 am 
I think that they are religious, but that Pepperdine is the only Protestant institution...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:27 pm 
The WCC should expand to 10 private schools by adding both Pacific and Denver, both of which are two of the up and comming strong DI non-football schools.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:22 am 
If Denver were in the WCC, wouldn't their travel be horrendous ? They would be the only non-West Coast team in the West Coast Conference....

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:38 am 
If Denver joined the WCC their travel would be a lot less than it is currently in the Sun Belt having to go to Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Denver's travel problems do not compel the WCC to take them. This is far more about what the conference wants vice what Denver wants.

If Denver works on their basketball program, they can become attractive to a WAC that is probably considering non-football members. However, Denver has work to do to get there, and I'm guessing this includes a decision to help basketball at the expense of hockey, which is probably a non-starter for the Pioneers right now.