Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

and join Northeastern in the CAA next year

http://www.gsusignal.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/10/05/4162bc387e09f

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:45 pm 
When are CAA games regularly on ESPN/ESPN2?

What's the difference between a #11 RPI and a #20 RPI when both are one-bid conferences?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:05 am 

Quote:
When are CAA games regularly on ESPN/ESPN2?

What's the difference between a #11 RPI and a #20 RPI when both are one-bid conferences?

I question if it makes a difference in the amount of bids now but its going to be easier to pick up a second one. ESPN game plan has quite a few CAA games, I believe.

When the Big East splits and raids the A-10 for basketball schools, the CAA could find itself in a strong position as the best East Coast Mid-Major.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:52 am 
ESPN/ESPN2 and ESPN Game Plan are different entities, and undoubtedly the former is more accessible...

Granted, it would be conceivably easier for a CAA program to receive an at-large bid than it would be for a program from the Atlantic Sun...that being said, I can't recall a current/former/future CAA program receiving an at-large bid since the first years of the 64-team format, when David Robinson was at Navy and the Sun Belt (ODU, VCU, UAB, etc.) was a bona fide multi-bid conference...I'm not going to cite the fact that the TAAC sent two teams to the 1994 NCAA Tournament in light of the circumstances regarding the conditions of College of Charleston's entry into the TAAC (and the NCAA) from the NAIA...

As for the future implosion of the BIG EAST-16 and possible impacts on the A-10...

-it seems unlikely that Saint Joseph's (or Temple, for that matter), will become aligned with the BIG EAST "basketball" schools unless Villanova aligns itself with the "football" schools
-while the A-10 would undoubtedly take a hit from the future implosion of the BIG EAST-16, with variations on the possible losses of Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph's, Temple, and Xavier, I don't see a scenario under which the A-10 (George Washington, UNCC, Richmond; probably Boston University) would be overtaken by the CAA...however, I could see the "core" of the CAA imported (probably excludes Georgia State) being imported into the A-10
-"conference creep" has happened before with the WAC (Big West), the CAA (America East), the Mountain West (WAC), the Big 8 (Southwest), the Horizon (Mid-Continent), the Sun Belt (American South), the Metro (Sun Belt), the Southland (Gulf Star), the American South (Southland), the BIG EAST (A-10), and the Metro (Missouri Valley), to name a few
-I honestly don't see either (BIG EAST) conference going to divisional play...upon a presumed split, the ratio should be 8/8, 9/7 (Notre Dame/Villanova with the football schools), or 10/6 (both Notre Dame and Villanova with the football schools)...the A-14 could theoretically handle 4-6 losses and reload with variations on Boston University, Holy Cross, Siena, Old Dominion, Delaware, and maybe Virginia Commonwealth (Richmond didn't block their entry into the CAA anyway)...not exactly a murderer's row, but that being said, CAA schools would probably jump at the chance for A-10 exposure, even if the conference were seriously depleted...at least that seems more plausible than A-10 schools leaving for the CAA or an intact CAA surpassing a depleted A-10 reloaded with non-CAA schools...