Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big changes at APP STATE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
For the Southland?

It would be rather dumb for Applachian State to move to the Southland. The Southland is a Louisiana-Texas conference. Troy University was the only team not from Louisiana or Texas that was able to stay in the Southland for awhile and develop some rivalries. Jax State joined the Southland also, but left because they had no real rivalries in the conference and they were not very competitive in the Southland either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:31 am 
Winning takes care of everything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:50 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Look for either big changes in the Sunbelt or a new 1A conference in the future says Tarmac the Magnificent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:19 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Appalachian does not need to leave the SoCon or move to I-A. Both would be bad moves. We'd lose too much money doing that.

But I've read that the Colonial (or it's fans) would like to add ASU, especially if they become a football league

and ASU is a NC public with 14,000 students

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

http://www.citizen-times.com/cache/article/news/73605.shtml

The university is also seriously considering whether to build a new football stadium on 60 acres recently purchased about two miles from the main campus. ASU is on the verge of investing $32 million in its existing stadium and field house, parts of which date from the 1960s.

Appalachian, which competes in I-AA football, has won the Southern Conference Commissioner's Cup for Excellence 19 of the past 20 years. Peathingy said when he hires a new athletic director, the university will set its athletic course.

"It is not in my plans at this point to see Appalachian move to IA (the highest level of competition), but I wouldn't ever want to do anything to prevent that in the future if that's what unfolds," Peathingy said.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:11 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Football Facility to Remain at Current Location, Undergo Extensive Renovations

by ASU Public Affairs
February 7, 2005

BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University Chancellor Kenneth E. Peathingy also announced Monday that, after careful consideration, Appalachian’s football facilities will remain in their current location and undergo extensive renovation.

Peathingy said ongoing plans for campus construction and renovation have reassured him that long-term elements are in place to improve the fan experience, while keeping the football program in the heart of campus.

“Green space, tailgating and parking are all important factors to an enhanced game day experience,” Peathingy said. “I believe we are now on track to address those issues in the future and still maintain easy access for our students, which is critical to creating the kind of atmosphere that has long been an Appalachian Mountaineer tradition.”

The plan calls for taking down Owens Field House and replacing it with a state-of-the-art facility with improved office, meeting and service facilities. Improved seating capacity — from 16,000 to 21,500 seats — and a transformation of both the East and West grandstands are also in the plan. Alumni and friends will enjoy a new Yosef Club Room, guest skyboxes and a new chancellor’s box. New locker rooms, a new weight and conditioning center and an expanded sports medicine facility will also be constructed for student-athletes. The entire project totals $32 million.

“We are extremely excited about the plans for a new field house and renovated football facility,” ASU interim director of athletics Dr. Linda K. Robinson said. “We feel that our student-athletes and fans will benefit from our new state-of-the art home and that it will help the momentum of Appalachian athletics to continue to grow into the future.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:32 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

LSU is also scheduled for APP State this coming sesson on 11-5-05. Is this a sign of bigger changes ahead or just two nice paychecks?

Appalachian Signs One-Year Football Deal With Kansas

by Appalachian Sports Information
March 16, 2005

BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University athletics agreed on Wednesday to fill one of the open dates on its 2005 football schedule with a matchup versus the University of Kansas. The Mountaineers and the Jayhawks are set to square off on Sept. 10, 2005 at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kan.

Already with an open date scheduled for Sept. 10, Appalachian was left with a second idle week when Northwestern State opted out of the return game of a home-and-home series, slated for Oct. 1 in Boone. The addition of Kansas to the slate is part of a rebuilding of ASU’s schedule due to NSU’s decision. A finalized 2005 schedule is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

“The loss of the Northwestern State game was unfortunate, especially this late in the year,” ASU interim athletics director Dr. Linda K. Robinson said. “Our efforts to replace that game with another I-AA opponent were far-reaching. The addition of Kansas once again reflects our commitment to field a strong schedule featuring only D-I opponents. This coincides with the recent I-AA Football Committee recommendations for playoff consideration.”

Kansas marks Appalachian’s first-ever opponent from the Big XII, one of the nation’s most prestigious football conferences. The Jayhawks finished with a 4-7 record in 2004, one season after advancing to the 2003 Tangerine Bowl, their first postseason appearance in eight years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Dream. Build. Fulfill.

The Athletics Enhancement Campaign
With the approval and strong recommendation of the Appalachian State University’s Board of Trustees, the Athletics Department has embarked on a $30-$32 million capital expansion to enhance its athletics’ facilities. The plan, staged in phases calls for the replacing of the turf in Kidd Brewer Stadium and resurfacing the track; demolishing Owens Field House and constructing in its place a new state of the arts Athletic building; converting Varsity Gym into a more athletics friendly training and practice facility; building a stand-alone indoor practice facility that will benefit all 20 intercollegiate sports programs; enhancing Kidd Brewer Stadium for alumni, fans and students and adding approximately 4,500 new seats to the East side of the Stadium.

The campaign, is a result of the nearly nine month study conducted an especially appointed Task Force which was initially formed to study the long range course of football, but quickly determined that the committee needed to review the entire course of athletics and its long term needs.

Chancellor Kenneth Peathingy is a strong supporter of the project. “The enhancement of our Athletic Facilities will make all members of the Appalachian Family proud. Our athletics programs are an integral part of the comprehensive university experience.” Dr. Peathingy concludes by saying, “I encourage all members of the Appalachian Family to give generously – funds donated to this campaign will be well invested in moving our great University to the next level. My pride in where we are today is only overshadowed by my excitement over our future.”

Tomorrow Is Now
The moment of opportunity has arrived. Right now is the chance for you to participate in one of the most exciting and dramatic ventures ever undertaken by Appalachian State University Athletics. The benefits of the Athletics Enhancement Campaign are enormous, and are vital components of the overall, rapidly changing physical plant and progress that is readily seen on campus.

The Benefits
• The plan will allow Appalachian to recruit and attract top athletes who wish to combine their athletic endeavors with personal achievement in education.
• It will help create successful careers for student-athletes and the general student population in various athletic and educational fields.
• The campaign will expand the Mountaineer fan base, which will be reflected in event attendance and financial support.
• The new facilities will Appalachian to keep pace with its competition nationwide.
• It will endorse and promote the overall reputation of Appalachian as a first-rate university that offers a comprehensive program of excellence in education, athletics and community involvement.

A Plan For Its Time
The Athletics Enhancement Campaign includes many state-of-the-art improvements and renovations that will considerably transform the Appalachian Athletics complex, with the major goals being the enhancement of the fan experience and improvement of athletic performance.”
* Kidd Brewer Stadium
• Replacement of playing surface with FieldTurf (completed)
• Resurfacing the track (completed)
• Expansion from 16,000 to nearly 21,000 seats
• New lighting and sound systems
• Renovation of spectator facilities including restrooms, concessions, hospitality areas, merchandise and storage areas
• Transformation of the East grandstands including a new broadcasters’ box, guest skyboxes, club seating and suites, a new Yosef hospitality room, a new Chancellor’s Box and covered upper deck seating.
• Transformation of the West grandstands including renovations to the press box, restrooms, concession area and new concourse seating.

* Owens Field House
The existing structure will be demolished to create a dynamic new facility that will feature:
• New football locker rooms
• New Olympic sports locker rooms
• New visitor and auxiliary locker rooms
• Dramatically expanded weight and conditioning center
• Expanded sports medicine facility
• Olympic sports center
• Athletic offices for all coaches and athletic administrators
• New Yosef Club room and enhanced hospitality areas

* Varsity Gym
• Indoor training facilities for all intercollegiate sports
• New hardwood courts for basketball and volleyball
• Satellite strength & conditioning and sports medicine areas

Our Athletics program is being complemented by the addition of a new soccer stadium at our State Farm property, six new competitive tennis courts, a track throwing events venue and an additional, stand-alone indoor training facility (currently under study).

The Athletics Enhancement Campaign is being jointly funded through University, student and private support. The Campaign is endorsed by the University’s Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, University Administration, Athletics Administration and the Yosef Club. Numerous naming opportunities exist through all levels of campaign support.

see the full story at

http://goasu.com/index.php?page=131

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:33 am 
"Dream" is the key word here. Buffalo, FAU, FIU, Kent, Troy, ULM, ULL, etc all dreamt too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:54 am 
Kent State (Jack Lambert, Don James, Glen Mason) and (Southwestern) Louisiana-Lafayette were charter members of I-A...save (Northeast) Louisiana-Monroe, the rest of the programs listed either began play or moved up from a lower division prior to moving up from a lower classification, all within in the past 10-15 years...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:12 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

APP State became a member of IA in 1971 which was prior to the IAA reclassification. Look for changes shortly after the new AD hire which should next month.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:10 pm 
The I-A/I-AA classifications didn't exist prior to 1978 (the Southern Conference was I-A, 1978-1981). "Division I" wasn't referred to as such until 1973...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:59 am 
Freshman
Freshman

This is what I see happening in the future based mainly on scholarships offerred.

1: 1A BCS (ACC, PAC10, SEC, etc.)

2: 1A Playoff Championships Series. (Sunbelt, MAC, CONUSA, curent 1AA that are willing to make a commitment to that level (hopefully APP State)

3: 1AA (all others) ( lower scholarship 1AA nad possibly D2)

Of course all this will mean a major makeover in conference affilations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:42 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

APP might has a new AD by next weekend.

http://www.web.appstate.edu/athleticsearch/index.html

Appalachian Invites Three A.D. Candidates to Campus

by Appalachian Sports Information
April 29, 2005

BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University has invited three candidates for the position of athletics director to campus beginning on Monday, May 2, search committee chairperson Dr. Alan Hauser announced on Friday. The three candidates are Charles Cobb, a senior associate athletics director at North Carolina State University, Brad Edwards, a senior associate athletics director at the University of South Carolina, and Scott Secules, a senior associate athletics director at Southern Methodist University.

Cobb, who holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration from N.C. State and a Master’s in sports administration from Ohio University, has served as N.C. State’s senior associate athletics director for external operations for the past seven years. Prior to his arrival at NCSU, Cobb spent time as the associate executive director of the Atlanta Sports Council and Peach Bowl and a sales manager for the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga.

Edwards, who holds a B.S. in business administration from South Carolina and is working towards a Master’s degree in sports administration at USC, has been with the Gamethingys since 1999. He began as an assistant athletics director for development before being named an associate athletics director for business and development in 2001 and senior associate athletics director for business and development in ‘03. Edwards was a member of the NFL’s top-rated defense with the Minnesota Vikings in 1988 and ‘89 and served as a defensive co-captain for the Super Bowl XXVI champion Washington Redskins in 1992.

Secules, who holds a B.A. in economics from the University of Virginia, has been at SMU since 1995, beginning as director of operations and assistant executive director of the SMU Mustang Club and holdings positions as director of season ticket sales (1999-2001), associate athletics director (2001-02) and senior associate athletics director (2002-present). He spent six seasons as a quarterback with the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots from 1988-93.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:28 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Thursday, May 12, 2005
ASU introduces Cobb
Athletics director stepped ahead of field by showing 'human side'

By Tommy Bowman
JOURNAL REPORTER

BOONE

As a pool of more than 50 applicants for the athletics director job at Appalachian State was reduced to three for final interviews, leadership and business savvy were high on the list of the qualities being sought by Chancellor Kenneth Peathingy.

But those assets weren't what sold him on Charlie Cobb, who was named ASU's athletics director yesterday.

"He was the one that talked about his family and the human side of life," Peathingy said.

Peathingy said that when he met Cobb, he asked him if he was nervous, and that Cobb said he was a bit excited.

"But I remember Charlie saying, 'I was suddenly brought back to reality this morning. When you put a hair bow in your 4-year-old daughter's hair, somehow you realize what's important in life.'

"There was a human side that came out that I liked," Peathingy said. "I saw a human side that applied to his family and also to student-athletes. I sense a real heart for young people, and that caught my attention."

Now Cobb, a senior associate athletics director for external operations at N.C. State since 1998, is part of the ASU family.

He will officially take over from Linda Robinson, the interim athletics director, on July 1 and will succeed Roachel Laney, who stepped down as athletics director last November. Cobb has agreed to a three-year contract with a salary of $150,000 a year.

Peathingy said that Cobb actually has "some black and gold" in his background.

Cobb's father and mother attended graduate school at ASU, as did his brother. The Cobb family, from South Carolina, often spent summers in Boone, vacationing at Flintlock Campground. Charlie Cobb, who played football at N.C. State for thingy Sheridan, said that he became so enamored with ASU while growing up that he dreamed of playing basketball for Bobby Cremins in Varsity Gym.

"But that changes as you get a little older and you realize you can't run and you can't jump," Cobb said.

Cobb said that he will do a lot of assessing and analyzing for the first few weeks, and that the continuation of ASU's $32 million plan to enhance athletics complex will be on the front burner.

"It blew me away when I came up here and saw that football, both (men's and women's) soccer teams and field hockey practice and play on the same field," Cobb said. "The cooperation among the coaches and kids is amazing."

Peathingy said that options remain, including a possible move of other sports to a complex that would include a new soccer field, as well as the possibility of leaving Owens Field House in place and going to the opposite end of Kidd Brewer Stadium to build a new field house.

"That would give us a new 73,000-square-foot facility while maintaining the same 28,000-square-foot facility that we have," Peathingy said. "Instead of spending the dollars to tear it down, we can take those dollars and reinvest those dollars in Owens and get it in condition for whatever program is decided."

Cobb said that he felt fortunate as a new athletics director that an enhancement project is in place, and Peathingy said that he is glad to leave details to a new athletics director.

"The plan may need to be tweaked a little bit, but financially the bulk of the money is there," Cobb said. "The best part of building facilities, from my experiences at N.C. State, is that it gives people some excitement, and you see some immediacy."

Cobb said that marketing and fund-raising will be priorities. And Peathingy, who has a business background, said that the fact that Cobb has experience in overseeing marketing and ticket operations at N.C. State as well as with the Atlanta Sports Council and the Peach Bowl, will be instrumental. Cobb has a business degree from N.C. State and a master's degree in sports administration from Ohio University.

"We have to keep within a budget," Peathingy said. "You have no choice. We don't use state money. It's all revenue-generated dollars, student-fee money or private support."

Cobb's budget at ASU will be about $7.5 million, smaller than what he was used to at N.C. State. Cobb said that might be a challenge but not a problem.

"We all manage our own personal budgets, no matter what the figure is," Cobb said. "We all learn to live within our means."

That fact prompted an appeal from Peathingy during yesterday's news conference and radio broadcast introducing Cobb.

"I ask everyone here today and everyone who is listening to get behind our new Mountaineer," Peathingy said. "I will be with him out asking for money. Whatever you gave last year, we want more this year. We have big plans, big dreams and big visions."

Asked if I-A football might be part of the vision - something certainly bantered about consistently among ASU fans - Cobb said that he had heard a lot of questions throughout the interview process. He said that he doesn't have any answers yet.

"We're going to evaluate everything," Cobb said. "I asked the question, 'Where does the university stand on that?' Basically the message that was given back to me is that Appalachian is a proud Southern Conference program. We've got a lot of questions that we need to answer in terms of facilities, ticket sales and attendance before we even worry about that. We want to be the best we can be, and that was repeated to me over and over again. That's kind of the mantra I'm going to use. Let's be the best we can be, and let's see what the future holds."

• Tommy Bowman can be reached at 727-7320 or at tbowman@wsjournal.com

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satell....8267110 5&path=!sports!collegeteampages!appalachian&s=1037645509234