NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: New Big Sky Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:36 pm 
I disagree with you tman. I think they will eventually add Southern Utah.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112405aaa.html

Initial phase 10 to 15K seats, expandable to 30K.

If they're committing to Big West and already have a stadium, why build this?

There are some seemingly amateur aspects to this (open campaigning for title sponsors, etc.), but they're averaging more football fans per game than Sac State (just up I-80).

So UC Davis is a mystery to me. I think the Sky would like Davis, though Sac State is probably a roadblock to that. Davis could leapfrog Sac and aim for the WAC, for all I know. 'Tis why I hedged in my otherwise enclosed statements.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Where I'm curious is the voting requirement in a 9-school Big Sky.

My understanding is that Portland, Sacramento, and a third school are dead set against Dakotas. If 7 votes out of 9 are required for approval, it's not going to happen.

One thing I might speculate on... BSC presidents are watching for how, or if, 1-A standards are enforced. BSC will be taking Idaho back in a New York minute if Idaho fails to maintain 1-A qualifications. That might be a 2-4 year wait.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Montana I could see moving up to I-A, the rest I don't. If Montana leaves then probally Southern Utah might get the invite to replace them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I only see Southern Utah coming in if Montana leaves.

I agree with Pounder on UI. That would be the first team.

As far as the Dakotas, if they feel that SUU lacks academics, then the most likely way they can get to 12 teams and two divisions is UND moving up to 1-AA. It would be three Dakota teams to the Big Sky.

Unless the Big Sky takes a super majority to vote the Dakotas in as opposed to a consenus (which is how they did it when they invited UNC), which is possible, I don't see this happenning.

Last edited by metropolitan on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I dont see the Dakotas in the Big Sky either. Mid-Con would be more likely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm in self-kicking mode. Radio here is tuned into Boise NPR (I'm probably 50 miles away from the signal, so it's a bit dodgy). An hour ago, what sounded like a local portion of the broadcast referred to a school proposing to jump from 1-AA to 1-A. Obviously, that part pricked up my ears, but I couldn't pick up what school they were talking about.

Since it's awfully rare for NPR to go in depth on college sports, while I could be wrong about it being local, I don't think it's likely.

Idaho State? Nothing in this morning's Journal in Pocatello.

Nothing in any paper from the potential suspects, including the Missoulian.

I have being watching someone on OregonLive's Portland State discussion board openly throwing out rumors that Montana is finally planning on going up... thing being that this character thinks they can go straight to the Mountain West. Given the numbers, if we're talking in terms of an immediate move, Montana is the only option.

What I should also mention is that the Boise station runs daily reports from Oregon and Nevada. On rare occasions, they tap into Montana news. So, besides obvious Montana and the somewhat publicized process leading up to new facility plans at Idaho State, maybe Portland State is trying another angle. Maybe it's Montana State, for all I know.

Anyway, something's up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Could that baseball stadium Portland uses really be viable in IA? It's so quirky with seating on only 2 sides... or maybe 3 sides... it's quirky none the less.

But then every time I think a stadium won't cut it I think about that airplane hanger Idaho uses and shake my head. Anythings possible these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If Portland gets Major League Baseball, it won't be permanently in PGE Park. Subsequently, the city slaps bleachers (or even something better) on the left field side and they're in business.

That's how it worked in 1999 or so, when Portland State was claiming an average of 20,000 per game when they tried to make a move to 1-A (turnstile average was less than 7,000 IIRC); they laid down the bleachers. If you saw Women's World Cup Soccer in 2003, the semifinal matches were in Portland, and they had 27,000 in there (with grass laid over the third generation rubber turf) including bleachers all over the east side... and other places. In reality, it would be a pretty quick adjustment if PSU could sell the seats.

Last edited by pounder on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BTW... a candidate for university president at Idaho State is the one who mentioned going 1-A as a goal for the Bengals. Thing is, with the facility study already underway, it "sounds" like there's possibly a push to do just that, with a possible strategy being to appeal to the State Legislature for equanimity with UI and BSU.

Two problems. The Legislature didn't have to fund anyone else's stadium for UI and BSU to make a move. I don't think the ISU community buys into the idea. Two strikes, they're out.

In the midst of these discussions, what's bubbled up is that rumors of a Montana move seem to have accelerated. Obviously, that's something to keep an eye on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:26 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Nothing new on eGriz.com about Montana moving to DI-A. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not happening. However, I'd kind of expect the administration to consult a bit with the faculty, alumni, business community, legislature, and students before making a decision like that. Those types of discussions would almost certainly result in some chatter on the U of Montana fan site. There is, however, definitely some interest in DI-A at Montana so who knows?

Liberty (Falwell's university) is the only DI-AA school I know of to make any noise about DI-A lately. Personally, I vote "UC Davis" for school most likely to get to DI-A first. Of course, if the NCAA eliminates the DI football sub-classifications, which I kind of expect them to do, that might change the landscape just enough to make programs reconsider opting for the bowl route.

Last edited by bisondefender on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:38 pm 
Junior
Junior

If Montana competes with Iowa in 2006, I see no reason why they wouldn't move up to I-A.

Can teams that move from I-AA to I-A go to bowls right away?

Last edited by tman080808 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Idaho was in the Humanitarian Bowl in their second year in 1-A. I think it's merely a matter of how the conference makes an arrangement with the school in question. It's certainly not like moving from D-2 to D-1.

I don't think Montana needs to prove themselves against a BCS school to make the move, nor do they see Iowa as a gateway. The issue is money. Up until their deficit issue hit, Montana was only scheduling Idaho among 1-A schools. Now, they're taking big money games. What happens after the debt is paid off is obviously an open question. Some believe that Montana can bring themselves back to a position where they can sustain the former scheduling format. I believe 1-AA has limited income potential, and the addition to the Montana coffers from these 1-A games is going to open some eyes in the AD and with the state.

Not surprising that I see conflicting opinions on whether the rumor mill has "ramped up" or not. Hard to say for sure.

Obviously, I'm comfortable being on the fence regarding the "will they or won't they" question.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:42 pm 
Senior
Senior

This might be a reason why they would stay DI-AA:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/01/27/sports/sports3.txt

They might be getting the best of both worlds right now? Big on the road DI-A guarantees and nicely profitable home schedules.

Playoff games are big games, but I dont know how one or two of them compare to a small bowl game?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next