NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I prefer the "big group" thing for basketball. Putting up divisions creates a potential RPI issue depending on the performance of the cluster and structure of 2-game sets between the schools. I always preferred a more random grouping, although we've seen what happens when certain schools don't get the pairings they like (Big East and ACC).

I'm more of a regionalism guy. Old school. Let the game be played, let the regions teem with school pride, and let neighborhoods be torn asunder from school ties. Focus on the small-scale economic gains from such groupings, and let those benefits trickle up, like they actually do, rather than the artificially created "trickle down" effect.

To an extent, this is why I love the A10. You don't have Hofstra's or Villanova's in the conference big-leaguing certain schools to the extent of other conferences. It hasn't become a public vs. private fight, either. And it's a clump, with regional redundancies. What's not to love?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Divisions matter in football, because if you have more than 10 teams in football, you can't play everyone; (and divisions can make for a lucrative conference title game).

But in hoops, all they do is limit your TV inventory.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

The realignment grid seems to suggest that a number of teams might not be good fits for the A-10 and/or longshots for ousting under some condition.
Is that still correct?

If it is still true...then when is this ousting or correction of schools supposed to happen? Is there a 'good' time for this to happen(sooner or later)? Who is on the board for inclusion? Will the A-10 try to regain schools from the Midwest...to compete directly with the Big East or, try to dominate the coastal region?

What does the A-10 plan on doing when or if UMass goes all in for the MAC? Do they have plans for the SLU and Dayton to BE scenario?

Seems like the A-10 'could' look totally different pretty quick, if and when things start to happen again...based on the grid suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
The realignment grid seems to suggest that a number of teams might not be good fits for the A-10 and/or longshots for ousting under some condition.
Is that still correct?

If it is still true...then when is this ousting or correction of schools supposed to happen? Is there a 'good' time for this to happen(sooner or later)? Who is on the board for inclusion? Will the A-10 try to regain schools from the Midwest...to compete directly with the Big East or, try to dominate the coastal region?

What does the A-10 plan on doing when or if UMass goes all in for the MAC? Do they have plans for the SLU and Dayton to BE scenario?

Seems like the A-10 'could' look totally different pretty quick, if and when things start to happen again...based on the grid suggestions.

Speaking of the Coastal section of the Eastern U.S., then how about checking schools from either the Big South or SoCon (Davidson for 2014-15) or CAA (George Mason for 2013-14) or NEC or America East? As long as the school is non-football spekked.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

I'd like to find out how many spots there are to fill before we go off looking for schools. We really don't even know which schools might be ousted.

I'm certain there are some folks who know more about the A-10...and they might be able to shed some light on who might leave, if that is even still an option with all the realignment that has already occurred.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I suspect at least three within the next two years. UMass and the likely 2 more schools the Big East lobs off the fringes.

I don't know where the Big East could really go outside of the A10 to find someone they'd all/mostly like. I mean, other than Gonzaga. That stretch between Marquette and Creighton is kind of brutal, but who would suffice to fill that in? Drake? It's not like SLU makes it easier.

The CAA would love to have GWU. I think the Patriot might, too. People think Fordham might go to the Patriot entirely...I don't think they're wanted enough as others. URI's in its own identity crisis. I don't think any of those three go anywhere anytime soon, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 am 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I suspect at least three within the next two years. UMass and the likely 2 more schools the Big East lobs off the fringes.

I don't know where the Big East could really go outside of the A10 to find someone they'd all/mostly like. I mean, other than Gonzaga. That stretch between Marquette and Creighton is kind of brutal, but who would suffice to fill that in? Drake? It's not like SLU makes it easier.

The CAA would love to have GWU. I think the Patriot might, too. People think Fordham might go to the Patriot entirely...I don't think they're wanted enough as others. URI's in its own identity crisis. I don't think any of those three go anywhere anytime soon, though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I definitely see the BE taking SLU and Dayton. I could easily see UMass wanting to solidify their home...one way(fb) or another(bb).

Yeah, there is a big hole in the Midwest as for private bb powerhouses. And, like SLU...I don't really see Wichita State lowering travel for the group(not to mention they aren't Catholic or private). So, I see the BE taking SLU and Dayton for the west side of the conference. Then in the next few years, after that, they will add two school from the eastern section of the conference...ie: BostonU, Loyola Md, Duquesne or other.

Hopefully, there might be some additional insight into the A-10's feelings towards some of these programs on the fringe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A10 - in my opionion from most likely to least likely to leave...

St Louis, Richmond, Dayton, VCU, Duquesne (Big East candidates)
UMass (MAC/CUSA/AAC candaidate)
Fordham (Patriot candidate)

Rhode Island, Davidson, Dayton-if not picked for Big East (candidates to leave for more geographically/financially friendly conferences)

LaSalle, StJo's, GWU, GMU, StBon, (CORE of A10 not going anywhere) + either VCU/Richmond not in BE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:

Rhode Island, Davidson, Dayton-if not picked for Big East (candidates to leave for more geographically/financially friendly conferences)

LaSalle, StJo's, GWU, GMU, StBon, (CORE of A10 not going anywhere) + either VCU/Richmond not in BE

You mention....'geographically/financially friendly conferences'.
Which conferences would be on this list...that reside above financially?
Or possibly I could ask it this way....Where do A-10 schools, that don't play fb, go when they move upward?

If Dayton doesn't head to the BE....then which conference do you see them wanting to land in, geographically?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

You mention....'geographically/financially friendly conferences'.
Which conferences would be on this list...that reside above financially?
Or possibly I could ask it this way....Where do A-10 schools, that don't play fb, go when they move upward?

If Dayton doesn't head to the BE....then which conference do you see them wanting to land in, geographically?

Of those last three

Rhode Island is/was worried about finances, primarily dealing with football but if UMass and Fordham leave they may be interested in joining a more regional conference like the AEC or MAAC.

Davidson is the least likely to leave however if they could decide to join a more Southern based conference if the major teams bolt. But that's highly unlikely.

Dayton could be moved to change conferences (especially if StL goes BE w/o them), to either the MVC or the Horizon, in conjunction with stealing a quality team from another conference to make it a new respectable home for them

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Rhode Island certainly presents an interesting situation for the A-10 and the AEC. Rhode Island can't outspend or out-recruit other A-10 schools and supporting a 65 scholarship football team is a bit of a burden. But at the same time Rhode Island enjoys the financial windfalls of being in a high-midmajor conference. The quality of basketball in the A-10 would have to diminish before the Rams would seriously consider leaving the A-10. The AEC has all but given them an open invitation to join and if the AEC gets the Rhode Island they could then bring in Central Connecticut St and a Delaware or a Towson and gain a controlling interest in CAA FB.

I don't necessarily think that the A-10 losing St Louis would necessarily send Dayton away to another league. The Horizon is beneath them and MVC would still require quite a bit of travel for the Flyers and the Midwestern destinations are not as alluring as the East Coast cities the A-10 has.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Rhode Island certainly presents an interesting situation for the A-10 and the AEC. Rhode Island can't outspend or out-recruit other A-10 schools and supporting a 65 scholarship football team is a bit of a burden. But at the same time Rhode Island enjoys the financial windfalls of being in a high-midmajor conference. The quality of basketball in the A-10 would have to diminish before the Rams would seriously consider leaving the A-10. The AEC has all but given them an open invitation to join and if the AEC gets the Rhode Island they could then bring in Central Connecticut St and a Delaware or a Towson and gain a controlling interest in CAA FB.

I don't necessarily think that the A-10 losing St Louis would necessarily send Dayton away to another league. The Horizon is beneath them and MVC would still require quite a bit of travel for the Flyers and the Midwestern destinations are not as alluring as the East Coast cities the A-10 has.

I agree with all of this, thus why I put them as the last three possibilities for teams leaving the A10 (omitting the Dayton to BE possibility).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It wouldn't be surprising if Rhode Island re-joins the America East (or AmEast, as I dubbed it as its abbreviation) due to Dayton's status to either join the new Big East or not. However, look at the status of the CAA, having become a hybrid league. If the fb-sponsoring AEC schools join the CAA, then Rhode Island must follow up.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Since Dayton is being talked about Let's say they get passed over and Richmond/St.Louis go to the BE.
Have made the NCAAs the last 5 years
UMass(will go this year)
VCU
Davidson
George Mason
La Salle
St.Joseph's
St.Bonaventure
Dayton

vs

Wichita St.
N.Iowa
Indiana St.
Drake

I don't see URI leaving that and I don't see Dayton leaving that for the MVC. Why would Dayton leave all those big east coast markets for a far smaller midwestern market conf.?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Since Dayton is being talked about Let's say they get passed over and Richmond/St.Louis go to the BE.
Have made the NCAAs the last 5 years
UMass(will go this year)
VCU
Davidson
George Mason
La Salle
St.Joseph's
St.Bonaventure
Dayton

vs

Wichita St.
N.Iowa
Indiana St.
Drake

I don't see URI leaving that and I don't see Dayton leaving that for the MVC. Why would Dayton leave all those big east coast markets for a far smaller midwestern market conf.?

I agree with your conclusions....I just don't know that I believe Richmond is really on the BE list as high as others. While they are a great school...they aren't Catholic ...and I believe that might work against them. Loyola is almost the same size, in another major east coast market, and Catholic, which I believe makes them a better candidate for the BE.

To sum up that arguments...it looks like Dayton's only other option(if not A10 or BE) would be the Horizon League. Which pretty much means...they stay in the A10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next