NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:34 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
It's not a stretch at all to say conference administration is what got Dayton in, and kept Georgetown out.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
It's not a stretch at all to say conference administration is what got Dayton in, and kept Georgetown out.

Exactly.

I'll put my chips on bad losses to Northeastern, Seton Hall (twice), and DePaul.

If anything, Dayton's in that cluster of Providence, Xavier, and NCST. If conference administration did anything for Dayton, A10's doing or the selection committee, it kept them off their home court for a play-in game, and put them on the floor with an intrastate rival who loves to hot-shot the little guys.

I still think SJU only got into the tournament because they won the AQ. In the 18-game hypothetical JPS is running, I think they make the better example than Dayton. But, again...don't lose the games you shouldn't lose!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Wow! Almost no latest posts recently. And I don't know about you guys, but after seeing this pic: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... er_map.png (with soon-to-be new member Davidson in 2014), I think that the next two teams in line to head to the new Big East should be Dayton and Saint Louis; because not only for the recent success within this past season and those prior to that, but also they fit in the Big East's geographic footprint; giving the A-10 to be a more Eastern-specifically based conference with some Mid-South Atlantic flavor. Your thoughts?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:55 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Wow! Almost no latest posts recently. And I don't know about you guys, but after seeing this pic: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... er_map.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (with soon-to-be new member Davidson in 2014), I think that the next two teams in line to head to the new Big East should be Dayton and Saint Louis; because not only for the recent success within this past season and those prior to that, but also they fit in the Big East's geographic footprint; giving the A-10 to be a more Eastern-specifically based conference with some Mid-South Atlantic flavor. Your thoughts?

With SLU and Dayton leaving the A-10....

Are you suggesting that they ignore the mid-west when or if they replace these universities? I would think that the A-10 would keep their options open. There are some major cities and markets in the mid-west...that love basketball and support it well.

But, on the other hand....they did add a really small private school, last time. And though Charlotte is big....Davidson is fair distance to the north. So, read from that what you will regarding the A-10's priority list for new schools.

So, who is on your list for potential schools?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Wow! Almost no latest posts recently. And I don't know about you guys, but after seeing this pic: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... er_map.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (with soon-to-be new member Davidson in 2014), I think that the next two teams in line to head to the new Big East should be Dayton and Saint Louis; because not only for the recent success within this past season and those prior to that, but also they fit in the Big East's geographic footprint; giving the A-10 to be a more Eastern-specifically based conference with some Mid-South Atlantic flavor. Your thoughts?

Are you suggesting that they ignore the mid-west when or if they replace these universities? I would think that the A-10 would keep their options open. There are some major cities and markets in the mid-west...that love basketball and support it well.

But, on the other hand....they did add a really small private school, last time. And though Charlotte is big....Davidson is fair distance to the north. So, read from that what you will regarding the A-10's priority list for new schools.

Isn't it obvious? Why the Midwest should be an important factor in the A-10? Just trying to be realistic a bit.

Anyways, back to discussion; since the A-10 does NOT want any upgrade schools from D-II, they should find schools within the D-I realm on conferences such as the CAA (Richmond in 2001, VCU in 2012 & George Mason in 2013) and the SoCon (Davidson in 2014). And to retain the Midwest flavor, conferences like the Horizon (Butler in 2012) and the Summit. For instance:

From the CAA: Delaware or Towson or W&M or JMU (but all have football, hmmm)
From the SoCon: UT-Chattanooga or Wofford
From the Horizon: UW-Green Bay or UW-Milwaukee

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Wow! Almost no latest posts recently. And I don't know about you guys, but after seeing this pic: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... er_map.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (with soon-to-be new member Davidson in 2014), I think that the next two teams in line to head to the new Big East should be Dayton and Saint Louis; because not only for the recent success within this past season and those prior to that, but also they fit in the Big East's geographic footprint; giving the A-10 to be a more Eastern-specifically based conference with some Mid-South Atlantic flavor. Your thoughts?

Isn't it obvious? Why the Midwest should be an important factor in the A-10? Just trying to be realistic a bit.

Anyways, back to discussion; since the A-10 does NOT want any upgrade schools from D-II, they should find schools within the D-I realm on conferences such as the CAA (Richmond in 2001, VCU in 2012 & George Mason in 2013) and the SoCon (Davidson in 2014). And to retain the Midwest flavor, conferences like the Horizon (Butler in 2012) and the Summit. For instance:

From the CAA: Delaware or Towson or W&M or JMU (but all have football, hmmm)
From the SoCon: UT-Chattanooga or Wofford
From the Horizon: UW-Green Bay or UW-Milwaukee

I'm starting to think that you are about to suggest that the A-10 bring back fb? :lol:

Anyway, ...there are two schools in Chicago that could bring in a good market....Loyola or UIC. Also, from the CAA you have CoC or UNC Wilmington(who isn't very good), as well as Belmont, UNC Greensboro(who isn't very good).

I find it hard to figure out what exactly the A-10 is aiming at. They have duplicate schools in many markets. Will they continue that or move into the west or south?? Or north even?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I'm starting to think that you are about to suggest that the A-10 bring back fb? :lol: <--- Sort of, in some perspective. lol :P

Anyway, ...there are two schools in Chicago that could bring in a good market....Loyola or UIC. Also, from the CAA you have CoC or UNC Wilmington(who isn't very good), as well as Belmont, UNC Greensboro(who isn't very good). <--- Very true with those CAA schools you mentioned, but no success on those teams yet. Maybe a few schools from the Horizon might help out since Butler

I find it hard to figure out what exactly the A-10 is aiming at. They have duplicate schools in many markets. Will they continue that or move into the west or south?? Or north even? <--- To be honest, I'm like you on that one. Maybe it's upto the A-10 to figure out its footprint.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If Dayton and St Louis leave the A-10 I think the conference has to abandon the Midwest. The horizon schools are comfortable in their league and are collecting units from the 2 runs Butler made. Where I see the A-10 spreading their footprint is the south. I'd expect to a travel partner for Davidson such as UNC Wilmington.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Agree. Dayton and SLU are geographic outliers right now, and the A-10 has anticipated their leaving (although not dlear when the Big East will decide to expand).

They are adjusting the conference footprint to the east coast (and moving from the northeast, down into Virginia and the Carolinas).

Dayton is not THAT far west, but St. Louis is a haul for the other conference members. SLU has been hoping for this invitation since CUSA kicked their non-FB schools out in 2003.
SLU has to be miffed that St. Louis was passed over for Creighton (Omaha,NE).
Creighton has had a bit more CONSISTANT success in basketball over the years, but St. Louis presents a much larger TV market.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Agree. Dayton and SLU are geographic outliers right now, and the A-10 has anticipated their leaving (although not dlear when the Big East will decide to expand).

They are adjusting the conference footprint to the east coast (and moving from the northeast, down into Virginia and the Carolinas).

Dayton is not THAT far west, but St. Louis is a haul for the other conference members. SLU has been hoping for this invitation since CUSA kicked their non-FB schools out in 2003.
SLU has to be miffed that St. Louis was passed over for Creighton (Omaha,NE).
Creighton has had a bit more CONSISTANT success in basketball over the years, but St. Louis presents a much larger TV market.

Indeed. Should the A-10 focus its conference footprint to the East Coast, then it would either be like the ACC or the CAA of non-football basketball-spekked all-sports conferences, which I hope they'll have it well-planned.

P.S.: C-USA kicked out the non-fb schools (including DePaul and Marquette who went to the old Big East with fb schools Louisville, Cincinnati and then-recently new fb school South Florida) after the 2004-05 season; which led St. Louis to join the A-10 in the first place with UNC-Charlotte.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Post subject: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The A-10 has caught the Big East logo virus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Whoa! this logo looks pretty legit! Is this official? Maybe it has to do with the current expansion (in gaining and losing).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, it is legit. I just googled Atlantic 10 new logo, and htat came up.
I think it looks pretty sharp. Note the background is a basketball floor.

QUINN !!!

You'll have to update the logo in the little icon-based links in the tool-bar !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
The A-10 has caught the Big East logo virus.

A strain that co-mingled with Army's...

I love that five-sided shape one, though. I hope that's what makes it onto the jerseys of member schools.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next