NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
 Post subject: Re: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
Yeah, it is legit. I just googled Atlantic 10 new logo, and htat came up.
I think it looks pretty sharp. Note the background is a basketball floor.

QUINN !!!

You'll have to update the logo in the little icon-based links in the tool-bar !

Once they actually have a logo to use, it will be updated. What you are looking at now is just their press release of the logo they will be using.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:20 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm not a fan. What was wrong with the old one?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:36 am 
Junior
Junior

Former VCU Coach, Shaka Smart has left VCU for the same job at Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/04/02/shaka-smart-texas-head-coach-virginia-commonwealth/70857538/

George Mason's coach was a little older, but when he left Mason for Miami-FL a few seasons after Mason's Final Four, George Mason went back to being George Mason. I don't see why the same thing won't happen to VCU. They succeeded because they basically had a Top 10 Coach in the Sport all this time. Imagine if Bill Self went back to Tulsa, went on a run, then went back to Kansas. Kansas would remain Kansas either way and Tulsa would go back to being Tulsa after Self left.

Anyway, in a way, good for the A-10 that the Big East will now cross VCU off its candidate list. And Dayton would already be there if they were going.

Richmond just climbed over VCU though. I have it at Saint Louis and Richmond now if the Big East decides to expand with two schools.

Still, there is something deep down that the A-10 holds over the Big East...

(a scenario yes, but bear with me)

- Navy walks out on AAC. SEC declares them a power conference team and all is well again for Navy and their 100+ year old streak of Independence.
- Temple and UConn both eventually walk out on the AAC.
- The Big East made it loud and clear they wouldn't take UConn.
- Hurt by this, both Temple and UConn join the A-10.

New A-10...

Featuring.... UConn, Temple, Dayton (if not in Big East), UMass, Saint Joe's....

And many others who have shown up on the March Madness radar over the years... La Salle (recent S16), GW (a few second rounds), St. Bona (same), Saint Louis (if not in Big East, has made nice tourney runs).

A few things to remeber re: UConn football (and why they might drop it from FBS)...

UConn football's greatest year was a Big East Title and meeting with Oklahoma in the BCS Fiesta Bowl.

And the football team lost money that season. Playing West Virginia, Cincy, Louisville, Michigan, North Carolina ect. in a great football season (their best) and still couldn't turn a profit of one dollar (in football). In all likelihood, UConn football will never be that good or lucrative again. They were riding a wave and even thinking Big Ten or ACC shortly after. Now?

Look around at UConn's conference mates. Their football stadium is an hour from campus. Are UConn fans driving an hour to watch the Huskies get blown out by Tulsa?

All of this and the very real possibility that Navy will at some point* just walk away from the AAC. Is Connecticut going to sell more or less tickets after Navy of all schools deems the AAC unworthy?

*Army tried C-USA (which is basically what the AAC is) for four years (1998-2002) and then politely left. If Navy actually joins the AAC, don't expect it to last long. Navy "joined" when San Diego State, Boise State and TCU were also scheduled to join. Likewise, Army joined a C-USA with Louisville, TCU and when annually Top 25-ranked Southern Miss was the best football school in the State of Mississippi. (14-0) Tulane also finished #8 Nationally the first year Army was C-USA. Army gave it the old college try, looked around their senior year and said, "it isn't you, it's me". Navy isn't permanently giving up 100+ years of tradition to play Tulane and SMU. Their original intent was to play in front of Navy alums and also have an outside shot at the BCS. Cue wildly successful CF Playoffs replacing BCS, and okay their are a lot of Navy alums in Texas but San Diego State is the main hub.

Long story short, Navy will eventually humiliate/devalue the AAC by leaving it. (Heck, right now the Big East makes more money without playing football than the AAC makes with football)

Temple is always going to be a fringe member of anything (other than A-10 hoops) because it's Temple and even Temple doesn't like Temple. Connecticut will be steaming mad, deflate all the footballs on campus and continue to complete for National Championships basketball (Men's and Women's), but now proudly playing more East Coast Schools steeped in hoops tradition including rival UMass. Ironically, even their mighty Women's Team's biggest challenge this year has been from Dayton of the guess where, the A-10!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

bigshotbob wrote:

:mrgreen:

Post subject: A10 Realignment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm not so sure Navy will walk away as quickly as Army - Navy still gets games in Florida and Texas even in the AAC, and thought enough of their program to sign up for what was then a BCS AQ conference. If Navy stays past the defection of Cincinnati and Memphis to the Big 12, it opens the door for something like the coast-to-coast Big East; at the very worst Navy could dictate who is invited next in a way that best suits its needs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I am of the opinion that Navy isn't permanently wedded to the Amercan. The conference they are joining this year is not the one they thought they were joining. There are no west coast trips and there is no AQ bid. I feel like Navy is just doing the respectable thing and following through with their commitment but I think that the instant there is trouble they pull out. Navy did not sign up for annual games against Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, and SMU.

I certainly think that it wouldn't hurt the A-10 to keep tabs on the Amercian situation. Provided that they could figure out something for their football, if the A-10 could land UConn, Temple, and perhaps even Cincinnati it would be a tremendous coup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think you're more likely to see UMass join the American than any American teams join the A-10.

Hybrid days are dead. Basketball is an afterthought to the football TV dollars. UConn, Temple, Cincinnati... they made their choice.

If Navy leaves the AAC for football, the AAC would likely just invite UMass or a C-USA school and call it a day.

I can't see Temple or UConn pulling out of the AAC in all sports and needing a home for football.

If you're the American, you're not letting a school that's won three national championships in men's & women's basketball in the two years the conference has existed use you for just football. You're saying "all in or all out."

What would their options be? Scheduling as an independent is ridiculously tough, ESPN wouldn't help them like they did BYU because BYU is a national draw to all LDS fans; and the MAC very well may give UConn/Temple the "all in" ultimatum as well.

Plus, the AAC deal is 7-years, $126 million.
The MAC deal is 13 years at about $1 million per year TOTAL with the MAC covering production costs.

Why would Temple/UConn trade a little money for no money?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the chips all fell just right I could maybe see a hybrid working out. Cincinnati, UConn, UMass, and Temple would need to form the core. Maybe they convince USF, UCF, and ECU to come along too. Grab Army and Navy as football affiliates--they are pretty much a must. If they still need a few more to get to 8-9 football members then you reach out to the best MAC schools to lure them away. Fill the rest of the conference with the best programs and markets in the A-10 so Dayton, St Louis, VCU/Richmond, George Washington, Duquesne, and maybe Davidson (especially if you need a travel partner for ECU.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:11 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
If the chips all fell just right I could maybe see a hybrid working out. Cincinnati, UConn, UMass, and Temple would need to form the core. Maybe they convince USF, UCF, and ECU to come along too. Grab Army and Navy as football affiliates--they are pretty much a must. If they still need a few more to get to 8-9 football members then you reach out to the best MAC schools to lure them away. Fill the rest of the conference with the best programs and markets in the A-10 so Dayton, St Louis, VCU/Richmond, George Washington, Duquesne, and maybe Davidson (especially if you need a travel partner for ECU.

But what would those chips be, exactly?

I can't see a scenario where those three want to leave SMU, Houston and Tulsa:
Houston and Dallas are top 5 TV markets, leaving them doesn't lead to more money.
SMU just made the dance and should have made it the year before.
Tulsa made the dance last year and should have made it this year.

Now if you wanted to pitch the idea that the AAC would invite Dayton to be the 12th basketball member in all sports but football, with Navy being the football 12th... THAT might be plausible.

If UD was in the AAC last season, they might have gotten FIVE BIDS instead of two, as their OOC win pct (And therefore conference game SOS, and therefore RPI) goes up. There's more top 50 games amongst Temple, Tulsa, Dayton.

The "normal" AAC season would have 6 or 7 teams in play for the NCAAs (Cincy, Dayton, SMU, Tulsa, Temple, UConn, Memphis) and five teams at the bottom (UCF, USF, HOU, Tulane, ECU).

Makes decent Travel partners: UCF/USF, HOU/TULN, SMU/TULS, UD/CIN, MEM/ECU, TEM/UConn

Totally plausible. Although, I'm not totally sure UD would pull the trigger since it leaves them in a world of hurt if they have a 1990s situation, where the team was terrible and Cincy/Memphis/Houston wanted nothing to do with Dayton.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It's a shame Charlotte and Old Dominion chased after football. Charlotte's basketball noticeably dropped off the map as they figured out this football thing, and Old Dominion...who knows what their ceiling is now. Both, had they kept to the basketball business, would probably be members of the A10 now/still. It would have made life in the Big East very interesting (because they might actually have to face their issues with public institutions).

If Temple comes back around, it will be due to the AAC collapsing or Temple crumbling under the weight of a football program that just can't produce. This has been a tough year for Temple...no bowl despite a .500 season and cheated of a NCAA bid. Both would have brought in some attention and added revenue to an already hurting athletic department. There is just no way the school can see that happen. In the AAC, though...it might be the norm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

But what would those chips be, exactly?

I can't see a scenario where those three want to leave SMU, Houston and Tulsa:
Houston and Dallas are top 5 TV markets, leaving them doesn't lead to more money.
SMU just made the dance and should have made it the year before.
Tulsa made the dance last year and should have made it this year.

Now if you wanted to pitch the idea that the AAC would invite Dayton to be the 12th basketball member in all sports but football, with Navy being the football 12th... THAT might be plausible.

If UD was in the AAC last season, they might have gotten FIVE BIDS instead of two, as their OOC win pct (And therefore conference game SOS, and therefore RPI) goes up. There's more top 50 games amongst Temple, Tulsa, Dayton.

The "normal" AAC season would have 6 or 7 teams in play for the NCAAs (Cincy, Dayton, SMU, Tulsa, Temple, UConn, Memphis) and five teams at the bottom (UCF, USF, HOU, Tulane, ECU).

Makes decent Travel partners: UCF/USF, HOU/TULN, SMU/TULS, UD/CIN, MEM/ECU, TEM/UConn

Totally plausible. Although, I'm not totally sure UD would pull the trigger since it leaves them in a world of hurt if they have a 1990s situation, where the team was terrible and Cincy/Memphis/Houston wanted nothing to do with Dayton.

It probably a pretty unlikely scenario but if for some reason the schools I mentioned became dissatisfied with the the travel situation or if schools like SMU and Houston left the Amercian for the Big 12 or MWC then those members might try to change the direction of the American or start over.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
It probably a pretty unlikely scenario but if for some reason the schools I mentioned became dissatisfied with the the travel situation or if schools like SMU and Houston left the Amercian for the Big 12 or MWC then those members might try to change the direction of the American or start over.

The TV money is eastern based, so I wouldn't expect a SMU/Houston departure. You want to be tied to UConn (in ESPN's backyard) or ... (who even "headlines" the MWC nowadays?)

The AAC contract isn't big, but the exposure actually is. They're on ESPN family all the time. Mainly because of UConn.

As for the Big XII, I doubt SMU and Houston rate very high on the expansion list. They B12 needs TV sets outside of Texas. If they took any AAC teams it would be: UCF & USF as a tandem or Cincy to pair with WVU.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37