NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which school would you like to see in the A-Sun? Radford or Longwood, or maybe both!
Poll ended at Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:38 pm
Radford Highlanders 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Longwood Lancers 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Longwood & Radford 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Atlantic Sun Realignment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

This thought popped into my head today because it's July 1st and a good handful of teams are moving to new conferences for the 2014-15 season. So I remembered that Mercer and East Tennessee State announced that they were moving to the SoCon. I think I have an idea on what schools could go to the Atlantic Sun if they expand up to 9 or 10 schools.

Scenario 1: Radford goes to the A-Sun and makes the conference a 9 team conference. This would give the Atlantic Sun more exposure to northern markets such as Radford.

Scenario 2: The A-Sun snatches Radford and possibly Longwood to make up for the losses of Mercer and East Tennessee State, again this would bring more exposure to northern markets to a conference that has there northern most member in the state of Kentucky.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am 
Senior
Senior

What about NJIT?
They need a home and are DI. Even if it is only for a 5yr transition for NJIT to find a permanent home...or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ACCFan wrote:
This thought popped into my head today because it's July 1st and a good handful of teams are moving to new conferences for the 2014-15 season. So I remembered that Mercer and East Tennessee State announced that they were moving to the SoCon. I think I have an idea on what schools could go to the Atlantic Sun if they expand up to 9 or 10 schools.

Scenario 1: Radford goes to the A-Sun and makes the conference a 9 team conference. This would give the Atlantic Sun more exposure to northern markets such as Radford.

Scenario 2: The A-Sun snatches Radford and possibly Longwood to make up for the losses of Mercer and East Tennessee State, again this would bring more exposure to northern markets to a conference that has there northern most member in the state of Kentucky.

It only works if you can convince Longwood, et al, that being an FCS football conference is harmful to them as a non-football school. Travel costs are much lower in the Big South. Besides, it would make more sense to first steal a school in the Carolinas to partner with USC Upstate. Winthrop fits the bill and gives the Atlantic Sun somewhat of a hold in South Carolina.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The A-Sun lacks the reputation and stability to be able to steal from the Big South. Even though the Big South is a second rate FCS football league it's still better than no football at all and even for the non-football members of the league sponsorship of that sport raises their stature somewhat. Unless football schools gained a supermajority in the Big South and decided to boot out the non-football members to add more football schools no one is going to leave for the A-Sun.

The options out there for the A-Sun are DII schools like North Alabama or going out and trying to recruit non-football schools in the greater south region that are in football leagues and risk getting kicked out and members of less stable leagues like the WAC. This list would include:

New Orleans
Arkansas little rock
UT Arlington
Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Texas Rio Grande Valley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
The A-Sun lacks the reputation and stability to be able to steal from the Big South. Even though the Big South is a second rate FCS football league it's still better than no football at all and even for the non-football members of the league sponsorship of that sport raises their stature somewhat. Unless football schools gained a supermajority in the Big South and decided to boot out the non-football members to add more football schools no one is going to leave for the A-Sun.

The options out there for the A-Sun are DII schools like North Alabama or going out and trying to recruit non-football schools in the greater south region that are in football leagues and risk getting kicked out and members of less stable leagues like the WAC. This list would include:

New Orleans
Arkansas little rock
UT Arlington
Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Texas Rio Grande Valley

I agree with everything except the list of schools.
I worry that some of those schools won't give up their current situation.

UNO and A&M CC are the only two non-fb schools in the SLC...that situation seems to be stable.
UTA...the whole reason they went to the SBC was to play Texas State, right? So, I doubt they will leave that situation.

North Alabama is a good DII candidate.
How about these other DII candidates..... W. Florida, Bellarmine, S. Indiana, Harding, or Tampa?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:44 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Unless the Atlantic Sun decides to add football they might not be looking for teams with football in the future. I know that Kennesaw State is adding football and sometime in the future they will want all of their sports in the same Conference if possible.

According to an Article in the Telegraph - Macon, Georgia Newspaper
http://www.macon.com/2014/06/29/3174906/a-sun-ready-to-turn-to-the-page.html?sp=/99/160/

The next 4 paragraphs is from that Article.
Gumbart is typically non-committal about expansion. The NCAA requires six eligible teams for automatic bids in postseason tournaments, except for seven in basketball. The A-Sun moves forward with eight programs in Florida Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, Northern Kentucky, North Florida, Stetson and USC Upstate.

Having eight programs means more financial benefits for each, and the A-Sun will get a nice check from the NCAA for several years, courtesy of Florida Gulf Coast and Mercer in the past two NCAA tournaments.

Gumbart wants to stay at eight for a while -- even that’s already tentative with speculation that Northern Kentucky will bolt for the Ohio Valley Conference soon after completing the transition from Division II -- and firm up plans and commitments.

“If there is an institution that we agree we’re interested in and they agree they’re interested in us, it wouldn't be a short-term engagement. ‘Look, we want to carry forward with a long-term commitment,’ ” he said. “Again, we’re in the strongest position we've ever been.”

The Commissioner seems to be saying that since Northern Kentucky is possibly using the Conference as a stepping stone they are only looking at teams that want to remain in the Conference. Since DII. teams that have football will most likely want to have all their teams in the same Conference if possible.

I see the Atlantic Sun looking at these DII non-football schools Columbus State, Georgia Regents, Nova Southeastern, Alabama-Huntsville.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:46 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Has North Georgia given any thought to D-I? It has an enrollment of about 15,000 students (9,000 more than GRU-Augusta) and pretty much lies between Kennesaw and Spartanburg (USCU). Even bringing in GRU alongside UNG can make for decent rivalry/travel pairings:

Stetson/Florida Gulf Coast
North Florida/Jacksonville
North Georgia/Kennesaw State
USC Upstate/Georgia Regents
Northern Kentucky/Lipscomb

The Horizon League/OVC situation would be the one to watch-NKU won't go there, but the OVC may literally move down the road to Lipscomb to replace Belmont-it's a non-football school replacing a non-football school, and Lipscomb is an existing Division I member right in the middle of the OVC's footprint.