NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:32 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:31 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
It's interesting that when NDSU and SDSU are discussed for the BSC or the Mid Con, you will hear how its nearly a done deal or it is very likely.

Who said that?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:09 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Not necessarily verbatim what I said, but more about the enthusiam that you here from the NDSUer's every time they hear Fullerton say something positive about NDSU. If someone interjects UND as the 12th school (a 12th school is needed in order to go to 2 divisions and Fullerton has described that as a way to make it favorable for expanding to the Dakotas, with 2 divisions and making travel more feasible within the divisions and throughout the conference), there's all this heightened negativity coming from NDSUers. There is a 12th school somewhere in this scenario. Its not some sort of phantom that needs to be disregarded and forgotten about when discussing the BSC when they look at the Dakotas as expansion candidates. NDSU and SDSU are the usual suspects, but if you look at all the options and all the schools even considering a move in D II, UND looks like more of a potential candidate than any other western team, unless there is a plan to give SUU the nod (SUU is disregarded by the BSC according to Fullerton due to academics), then there really is no other place to go.

So when talking about a 12-team, 2-division BSC with NDSU and SDSU included and if UND is the school that gets them to 12, why all the negative when its all said and done, NDSU is in a conference under such a scenario? Isn't that what you want? Why is it such a big deal that you end up in the same conference as UND when you end up in a conference period under such a scenario? Its irrevelant if such a scenario includes UND, if NDSU attains a conference membership with such a deal.

Last edited by metropolitan on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

They are still trying to decide if they should do a study. I suppose they could still change their minds this yr, get through the formalities and announce a move. 2 yrs would be a lot nicer for them, but either way, if the recommendation is to move up the speed of their turn around would be remarkable.

Hey Metro, I think the reason for that might be that the Mid-Con option includes the Dakotas and IPFW and keeping the GWFC. That gives the Dakotas a lot more control so fans are more secure about that issue. I know I am. After all the SUs will vote if they come to the GWFC. it would also be nice to be a member of the Mid Con if they came calling.

They will also be looking for scheduling help, something we didnt get from them.

When it comes to the BSC the three schools make a great fit for 2 divisions. Its an attractive fit but there are hurdles that will have to be overcome it the opponents to the Dakotas are to be appeased.

If the SUs are in the Mid-Con the third school might get the BSC anyway and pair up with UNC. Either way there seems to be as much conference opportunity as ever, especially with the BB alliance and GWFC going strong. As awkward as it seems now that might be the best option in the long run. If both of those conference alliances could gain auto bids the value would soar and the time invested might be worth it.

Last edited by 11jbb11 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Hey, nice post 11jbb11.

I think that NDSU, UND and SDSU (and/or any other potential NCC move ups) all over time are gravitating, or eventually gravitating towards one another.

Sooner or later, the Mid Con and/or the Big Sky Conference will need some teams. Let it flow.

Last edited by metropolitan on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:06 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Hey, nice post 11jbb11.

I think that NDSU, UND and SDSU (and/or any other potential NCC move ups) all over time are gravitating, or eventually gravitating towards one another.

Sooner or later, the Mid Con and/or the Big Sky Conference will need some teams. Let it flow.

And for USD?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:51 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Sure, USD as well (they're one of those other NCC schools I mentioned) if they get some things in order over time they could move up and feel the pressure to move up as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Sure, USD as well (they're one of those other NCC schools I mentioned) if they get some things in order over time they could move up and feel the pressure to move up as well.

If all of those North Central Conference schools could get some things in order over time, maybe the NCC itself should as well.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:54 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

Quote:

If all of those North Central Conference schools could get some things in order over time, maybe the NCC itself should as well.

I would say all of them, except for Augustana College and maybe the University of Minnesota-Duluth (though the market is big enough for a D-I-AA school).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

Quote:

I would say all of them, except for Augustana College and maybe the University of Minnesota-Duluth (though the market is big enough for a D-I-AA school).

I dont know if UNO would though, the rest I could see.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:09 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Maybe the NCC should move up and the schools who can't move up should stay in D2 and try to join other conferences like the MAIAA or the RMAC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Maybe the NCC should move up and the schools who can't move up should stay in D2 and try to join other conferences like the MAIAA or the RMAC.

You mean MIAA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I know THAT abbreviation, but "personally"for me, it's MAIAA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:20 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Best conference option for the Dakota's is to play institutions in their part of the country. N. Iowa, Missouri State, Illinois and Indiana State, etc.

A conference should be made up of regional schools. The distance from the Dakota schools would be halfway across the country for most members of the Sky. That's too far for the fans and students.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I was thinking about this yesterday watching the Bracketbusters yesterday, would the Horizon League be a better fit for Dakotas than either the Mid-Con or Big Sky?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Horizon League would be great for The Dakotas. The Dakotas would be a bad fit for the Horizon League, as the DSUs are still quite some distance from Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Wisconsin-Green Bay. The HL would also need to take a school in Iowa, Minnesota, or Missouri for such a move to be more appetizing, but that would lead to a rather icky divisional alignment with the Chicago schools split:

HL-West:
UWGB
UWM
Loyola-Chicago or UIC
NDSU
SDSU
???

HL-East:
Youngstown
Wright State
Butler
Detroit Mercy
Cleveland State
UIC or Loyola-Chicago

If the HL takes the Dakotas, either an eastern school would need to leave (putting both Chicago schools in the East), or would need to take another eastern school (putting both Chicago schools in the West)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next