NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any New SoCon Rumors?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:42 pm 
The word before the spring meetings were Coastal Carolina, UNCW and East Carolina (everything but football) were the top discussions.

Samford, EKU, Tennessee Tech, Winthrop, Hampton and NC A&T had been mentioned in earlier months, but nothing has been mentioned about them recently.

UNCW is not happy with travel in the CAA
ECU is not happy being so far out of touch with the rest of CUSA
Coastal Carolina is just moving up in a good direction

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:49 pm 
They don't seem to be in any particular hurry, especially when you consider that ETSU's membership was extended for an extra season (2004-2005) following the termination of its football program...are they waiting to see if anything happens at UTC? What are the ramifications of Commissioner Morrison leaving to become the AD at TCU?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:32 am 
Freshman
Freshman

No new rumors here but I would like to start one.

With the new IA criteria the Socon or a combination of other conferences will start a new IA conference with APP State, Georgia Southern, JMU, NC A&T, either Citadel or Furman, Eastern Kentucky, and possibly Troy and Middle Tenn from the Sunbelt and maybe one more MEAC school.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:56 pm 
I don't think Furman is going to go anywhere. They are home in the SoCon and are pretty well maxed out for what they can do in football, especially for attendance. They are in the middle of ACC/SEC country and have a loyal Greenville following, but with the success that they have, they still sit on the same attendance numbers every year and don't have a large alumni base.

Eastern Kenntucky won't be able to make it either. They are relatively in the middle of nowhere and don't have a large enough athletics budget to cut it.

But I will agree with you, App, GSU, A&T, A&M, SC State, and James Madison could make it work with the right situation. But A&T is seeing a decline in attendance with the dismal performance of their football team lately.

As for Dan Morrison leaving, I think it is a non-issue.

As for the East Carolina comment. yes moving to the SoCon from CUSA for all sports outside of football is a step down in most sports (Baseball not being one of those). East Carolina is a regional outlier in the CUSA structure now. And in most sports, they still play on the CAA level which is nowhere near the rest of CUSA (look how bad Gardner-Webb beat them in basketball this past year), there are very few SoCon schools that are worse than them in Men's and Women's basketball overall over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

The SoCon needs a plan and App, UTC and GSU need to annouce their wants and needs. If the conference is going to be faced with losing a few teams in the next few years, then they need to take measures to head that off now so that no automatic bids are lost by dropping below 6 members.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:42 pm 
Junior
Junior

I'm afraid that I must disagree with the CUSA baseball statement compared to the Southern Confrerence. CUSA has 2002 Nat'l Champ Rice a;ong with CWS teams in Rice, Tulane, along with regional powers So Miss and Houston. The Southern is just a blip on the CUSA baseball radar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:09 pm 
Funny.... RPIs tell a different story
#6 CUSA
#8 SoCon

#7 CUSA
#8 SoCon

#8 CUSA
#12 SoCon

Blip, I think not. Now that CUSA has lost a ton of the top baseball schools, it is only going downhill..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:12 pm 
Junior
Junior

Does that RPI count four time CWS Rice and its National Championship or is it based on the past?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:15 pm 
Junior
Junior

Just curious, which top baseball schools did the CUSA lose?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:38 pm 
Junior
Junior

According to one RPI ranking (boydsworld), the new CUSA had 6 of the top 57 rpi in 2005. The Southern had one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:40 pm 
Junior
Junior

oh yeah, blip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:49 pm 
blip my tail....

Top 100:
SoCon: Charleston, Georgia Southern, Elon, Western Carolina, Furman, and UNCG
CUSA: Tulane, TCU, Southern Miss, ECU, Houston, Louisville, S Florida, UAB

So 6 of 11 SoCon teams versus 8 of 12 CUSA teams.

So they lose top 100 Louisville, South Florida, Texas Christian and close to top 100 UNCC.

They gain a horrible Marhsall, a good Rice and Central Florida.

So they lose 4 good programs and gain 2.

Sorry, I just don't see how CUSA is better than the SoCon outside of 1 school who wins the World Series.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:22 pm 
Junior
Junior

I guess I'm not seeing the same thing. I show RPI Tulane 2, Rice 13, S. Miss 36, Central Fla 41, ECU 50, Houston 57, UAB 83, Marshall 201, and Memphis 222 vs. RPI CoC 14, GSU 48, WCU 68, Elon 73, UNCG 82, Furman 103, Davidson 121, ETSU 137, Citadel 142, Wofford 215, and App St 250.
To me that shows an avg RPI of 75 for new CUSA vs avg RPI of 114 for SoCon. Now if you thru in the old CUSA it would be closer, TCU 33, USF 64, Louisville 72, Charlotte 136, Cincy 171, and St Louis 213. This avg RPI is 115, but they are now gone.
I think the new CUSA lineup is much stronger in baseball, and obviously much weaker in football and basketball. In fact, SoCon could be catching new CUSA in MBB. I will be sure to check those MBB RPI's sometime and get back to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:18 am 
Now that you put it that way, I can see your point. Is the SoCon a blip, I really don't think so. An average of 115 in a very down year (as in WCU, Elon, and GSU were riddled with injuries costing the season and Davidson and ETSU were in the top 100 until the last few weeks of the season) ... a blip, I don't think so. The SoCon and the Big South for that matter are always up there with the top conference.

Now if only App would improve...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:47 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Two things:

CUSA is way stronger baseball league - top 5 in that sport.

Also for MBB - CUSA is still stronger than SoCon. I beleive the new CUSA would have been #12 in conference ratings last year behind the BCS schools, MVC, MWC, WCC, WAC and MAC. Look for them to jump over the WAC this year and should be a top 10 league for the future as well.