NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Valparaiso with comments from Horizon League Commish who says that Horizon league expansion is "probable" in the "near future".Link at http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketba ... d60e6.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

Could NJIT be considered?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ctx48c wrote:
Could NJIT be considered?

Maybe, maybe not. But in all seriousness, I doubt that NJIT would be considered to be an expansion candidate for the Horizon; unless if the HL would add 2 more schools within their expansion plans to 'connect a bridge' upto Youngstown St. when it comes to expanding footprint (such as Robert Morris or any of the Buffalo schools like Niagara or Canisius). The ones considered could be of the following, like some of the Summit schools (IUPUI, IPFW, Western Illinois). After all, most of the current members of the HL were former members of the SL. But then again, there's the Mid-South, like Belmont (current affiliate of the HL for men's soccer) or Northern Kentucky or Lipscomb or even SIU-Edwardsville.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

To hear this on one of the other boards, it sounds like NKU might get the call, which might explain the possible ASun "expansion."

Should be interesting...I wonder if something's happening further up the line, and if the Horizon will be picking up more than just one to get to ten, or they get bigger than ten, or have to replace and expand at the same time.

As to NJIT: I think they are pegging themselves to America East, or NEC. A-Sun's more likely a future, who knows how brief, home for them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:05 am 
Junior
Junior

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/horizon-league-likely-to-expand-in-near-future/article_cbe63b1a-eec6-532f-bc28-f9c3fa0d60e6.html

Boom! From the commish himself.

Based on rumblings I've read elsewhere, the next Horizon additions are predicated on the MVC raiding the Horizon. Wait what?

It starts to trickle down from C-USA's upcoming decision re: UAB. Should they do the expected thing and boot UAB, the MVC will take UAB. The MVC will then take a Horizon school for even numbers. Thus, the Horizon will add a school eventually. The key thing here is the Horizon commish used the word "soon".

My guess is that there will be actual conference realignment soon albeit among the "Other Conferences".

The closest thing we might get to P5 expansion between now and 2025 could be Navy opting out of the AAC (then Navy declared a P5 by the SEC for non-conference scheduling purposes) or the Mountain West "UAB-ing" Hawaii. Still, I thought this is exciting enough for now. Vaplo is probably headed to the MVC with UAB by July, 1 2015.

UAB has also re-upped their basketball coach after a good tournament showing. That coaches quote...

(and you'll love this)

"Getting the conference affiliation worked out moving forward is the No. 1 thing on my mind."

-as in not recruiting
-as in not getting to the Sweet 16 next year
-but no, priority numero uno is (presumably) finding a new conference for UAB
-which is awesome because the dominoes will start to fall soon for us expansion junkies

from: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/jerod_haase_needs_to_know_what.html

Finally, should C-USA replace UAB with an MVC school (and they just might as Missouri State has angled for this)...

There will be not one but two dominoes tumbling down from (I guess)...

C-USA --> MVC --> Horizon --> OVC ---> Summit??? (anyway it might end up at the lone hoops Indy, New Jersey Tech, finding a home).

Post subject: Horizon League Expansion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:11 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Valparaiso and UAB just seem like an odd combination to me - it would make more sense for the MVC to push south by adding Belmont and UAB, rather than doubling down in the Chicago-South Bend area. Of course if C-USA is "trading" Missouri State for UAB, that doesn't prevent them from picking up Belmont and Valparaiso. I would think Wichita State would not be happy about Missouri State leaving, though.

The real question may be is SIUe Horizon League material? I'd also think NKU may have a shot, especially if the goal there is 10 members.

If the OVC replaces Belmont with Lipscomb, and NKU trots off to the Horizon League, this could get ugly quickly for the Atlantic Sun. Would the Atlantic Sun and Big South work together to raid the MEAC? Would the Big South just take Kennesaw State as a full member, and leave the Atlantic Sun out to dry? Could the Atlantic Sun raid the WAC if it had to?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

All of this expansion and realignment talk certainly piques my interest. To if the MVC is going to reach into Alabama and take UAB they probably ought to have a 12th. There's a few ways this could go:

1 bring in a southern school to serve as their travel partner -Belmont seems like the likely candidate due to their strong basketball

2 preserve the sacred football/non-football balance -this could happen a couple of ways--either upgrade an existing football affiliate like North Dakota St, South Dakota St, or Western Illinois or bring in someone who also fits requirement #1 which means bringing in an OVC school who can be a travel partner for UAB. While not terribly close to UAB, I think Murray St would be a leading candidate in this regard due to their strong basketball program.

There is a good chance that it's the OVC that takes the hit here either in the form of Belmont or Murray St as i suggested could be an option to appease the football faction. The OVC losing a member opens up the A-Sun and possibly the Summit for a raid.

I don't really see any Horizon members going to the MVC at this time but I certainly see the Horizon going to 10 just to shore up itself and to take advantage of active realignment climate. However if I'm the A-Sun or WAC I'm incredibly nervous. Realignment in the Midwest threatens to dangerously impact the WAC and I can see UTRGV defecting to the A-Sun if the WAC starts to get shaky.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:45 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Wright State University's AD Bob Grant commented that the Horizon League will add a 10th team that is within "bussing" distance of WSU. He did not mention the school's name. The only school that is within a reasonable driving distance of WSU of the potential HL invitees mentioned previously is Northern Kentucky, as it is but a little over an hour away. The next closest is Robert Morris, which is about 4 hours "bussing".

http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports ... 10th-team/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Great news for Northern Kentucky if it's true. Awful news for Iupui and IPFW as well. It's too bad that 12 team leagues aren't popular in basketball because adding them would make perfect sense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Great news for Northern Kentucky if it's true. Awful news for Iupui and IPFW as well. It's too bad that 12 team leagues aren't popular in basketball because adding them would make perfect sense.

I know huh? But it's a different story for the football counterpart when it comes to 12-team+ leagues because of a few things: 2 even divisions of at least 6 teams, different scheduling formats in terms of non-division foes with either a crossover permanent foe or rotational ones in a yearly basis, and the need for a CCG. In a basketball perspective, 12-team leagues have upto like the mostly well-balanced max of 16 games (5*2 vs. own-division foes + 6 vs. non-division foes with home-and-home series rotate in a 2-year span every time).

Anyways, back to the Horizon expansion talk, it would be logical to see any of those schools to be the 10th to 12th member(s), whether if it's Belmont (affiliate in HL men's soccer), or Northern Kentucky or even the IUPU schools, whether based on market, media or success alike.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I actually don't think Murray State gets into the MVC/MVFC - adding them gives the MVFC 11 schools, and unless if Missouri State is out the door to FBS, the MVFC will not expand to 11 members. If Missouri State leaves, I'd think UMKC has to get the call simply to maintain some presence in the state of Missouri. Wichita State would need a major bump in revenue to leave due to the number of NCAA Tournament Credits it has acquired, but if Missouri State leaves, they will be looking.

Belmont and UAB to the MVC; South Alabama to C-USA; NKU to the Horizon; Lipscomb to the OVC; Bellarmine and NJIT to the Atlantic Sun (all sports); Atlantic Sun adds Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Howard, and Hartwick for men's soccer; Atlantic Sun adds Delaware State, Howard, Francis Marion, and South Carolina State for women's soccer; Bellarmine and App State join the CAA for Field Hockey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:04 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

fighting muskie wrote:
It's too bad that 12 team leagues aren't popular in basketball because adding them would make perfect sense.

The HL still wants to get to 12 teams. Getting NKU in now does 2 things: 1)It helps with scheduling and 2) it moves the HL in a southernly direction, bridging the league toward Belmont and Murray St./Lipscomb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Flamesmania wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
It's too bad that 12 team leagues aren't popular in basketball because adding them would make perfect sense.

The HL still wants to get to 12 teams. Getting NKU in now does 2 things: 1)It helps with scheduling and 2) it moves the HL in a southernly direction, bridging the league toward Belmont and Murray St./Lipscomb

In my opinion, should the HL dos plan to reach to 12 teams, with expansion being in the Mid-South, the following worth candidates should be the following.

1.) Belmont
2.) Northern Kentucky
3.) Lipscomb

With those being said, and if successful, it would put the A-Sun in jeopardy for its automatic bid on certain sports being sponsored by that conference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If it's true that it's NKU, it's interesting they replaced an urban private school with a suburban public one. It seems like it's been talked about for some time, and that there's been support for NKU in HL.

As for RMU, I'm not sure they're itching to go to a midwestern conference, even if the current travel logistics aren't that great. There's a lot Robert Morris gets with its NEC membership, and games in the NYC metro are something they would quickly lose. They make a lot of sense on paper, and while the Horizon would be a definite upgrade for them, I'm not sure if they institutionally go there. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to hop over to MAAC.

Maybe Belmont is part of something in the next phase, but between NKU and them, seems like Belmont's more desirable. NKU looks like a steady Horizon-like fixture, though. If that's ultimately where they want to be, I guess it's a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:55 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The UAB situation may hold up Belmont - Belmont is widely speculated to be the expansion partner for UAB. If UAB can revive football over the dead bodies of Paul Bryant, Jr. and Ray Watts, or stay in C-USA without football, then the Horizon can grab Belmont. There's also still a chance the MVC grabs Valparaiso, which then allows the HL to add Belmont and NKU without anyone else.

Could the Horizon go after SIUE? They could use another Illinois school, and it would be the only realistic option in the St. Louis area as Lindenwood is not yet eligible to move to Division I:

SIUE/Belmont
Green Bay/Milwaukee
Valparaiso/UIC
Oakland/Detroit Mercy
Cleveland State/Youngstown State
Wright State/NKU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next