NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know if anyone thought Davidson would have bypassed a stint in CAA for a straight invite to A10. Maybe Belmont's next step is something similar, and either CAA (bypassing SoCon and HL), MVC (bypassing HL), or eventually A10?

I don't know about SIUE. I suspect they'd be looked at the same way as the I-P's. How do folks in the Summit see their circumstances compared to Horizon? Could UN-O or WIU eventually be game?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the Horizon is indeed courting Belmont I think there will be serious competition from the MVC. If the MVC decides to dip into Dixie for UAB then Belmont would be a perfect partner. An MVC with the basketball powers of Wichita St, Norther Iowa, Belmont, and UAB would be pretty solid versus what the Horizon has to offer. If that were the case then I expect that NKU is the back up option.

On a side note, Horizon expansion and the UAB situation have the potential to create some interesting shake ups. Belmont making a conference move alone would cause the OVC to seek a replacement--if they want a football school that could mean someone like WIU (Summit) or a Big South school. This could spread to changes in the MVC, Horizon, OVC, Summit, A-Sun, and WAC not to mention C-USA and the SBC. If I'm the A-Sun or WAC I'm incredibly worried because they are at the bottom of the pecking order and are dangerously small as it is. The A-Sun have members like NKU (to Horizon) and Lipscomb (to OVC to replace Belmont) that could leave putting them in dangerous waters. If a Midwestern league like the Summit is in need of members then Chicago St and UMKC are as good as gone putting the WAC in jeopardy. If both were to happen then I suppose the two leagues might be able to temporarily merge with the remaining members acting as eastern and western divisions.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
If the Horizon is indeed courting Belmont I think there will be serious competition from the MVC. If the MVC decides to dip into Dixie for UAB then Belmont would be a perfect partner. An MVC with the basketball powers of Wichita St, Norther Iowa, Belmont, and UAB would be pretty solid versus what the Horizon has to offer. If that were the case then I expect that NKU is the back up option.

On a side note, Horizon expansion and the UAB situation have the potential to create some interesting shake ups. Belmont making a conference move alone would cause the OVC to seek a replacement--if they want a football school that could mean someone like WIU (Summit) or a Big South school. This could spread to changes in the MVC, Horizon, OVC, Summit, A-Sun, and WAC not to mention C-USA and the SBC. If I'm the A-Sun or WAC I'm incredibly worried because they are at the bottom of the pecking order and are dangerously small as it is. The A-Sun have members like NKU (to Horizon) and Lipscomb (to OVC to replace Belmont) that could leave putting them in dangerous waters. If a Midwestern league like the Summit is in need of members then Chicago St and UMKC are as good as gone putting the WAC in jeopardy. If both were to happen then I suppose the two leagues might be able to temporarily merge with the remaining members acting as eastern and western divisions.

MVC is very imposing over the conferences in the region, but both them and the Horizon are at a sort of crossroads for their future. It's not the football issue (since MVFC is separate and Horizon doesn't sponsor the thing), but institutional type, location, and devotion to basketball that make their next moves pivotal (assuming MVC moves).

We've seen how arbitrary the D1 conference hierarchy can be. There's no guarantee that a conference makes a move that others see as a misstep, strengthening another conference that isn't seen as strong. Kind of like the Summit and AE have survived the WAC, MVC, Big Sky, CAA, Patriot, and SoCon movement.

I don't think the Horizon gets it wrong not taking Belmont ahead of NKU. There's a chance the Horizon takes Belmont, only to see something like the A10 did when it got Butler for a season or two, where MVC takes Belmont and maybe someone else out of Horizon (Valpo?). Belmont becomes a rental, and the Horizon has a mess trying to replace two programs when they only just went through a search to fill one spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

MVC is very imposing over the conferences in the region, but both them and the Horizon are at a sort of crossroads for their future. It's not the football issue (since MVFC is separate and Horizon doesn't sponsor the thing), but institutional type, location, and devotion to basketball that make their next moves pivotal (assuming MVC moves).

We've seen how arbitrary the D1 conference hierarchy can be. There's no guarantee that a conference makes a move that others see as a misstep, strengthening another conference that isn't seen as strong. Kind of like the Summit and AE have survived the WAC, MVC, Big Sky, CAA, Patriot, and SoCon movement.

I don't think the Horizon gets it wrong not taking Belmont ahead of NKU. There's a chance the Horizon takes Belmont, only to see something like the A10 did when it got Butler for a season or two, where MVC takes Belmont and maybe someone else out of Horizon (Valpo?). Belmont becomes a rental, and the Horizon has a mess trying to replace two programs when they only just went through a search to fill one spot.

Even if the Horizon were to add Belmont, only to lose them soon thereafter, they aren't really in that bad of shape. There would still be plenty of candidates out there--IUPUI, IPFW, NKU, WIU

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:10 am 
Freshman
Freshman

fighting muskie wrote:
Even if the Horizon were to add Belmont, only to lose them soon thereafter, they aren't really in that bad of shape. There would still be plenty of candidates out there--IUPUI, IPFW, NKU, WIU

Again, IUPUI is not coming. NKU is more than likely the choice and more than likely will be announced in the next couple weeks or so. This gets the HL to ten teams and makes scheduling easier. In the mean time, the Horizon League can continue negotiations and talks with Belmont and the other most likely southern partner (Murray State or Lipscomb) to get the league to 12 and possibly a 22-game conference slate. In the wake of the UAB situtation and the rumored "mutualness" between UAB and the MVC (which would cause the Valley to look for a possible 12th team), it's imperative that the HL move forward quickly with whatever plans it has in store for Belmont and Murray or Lipscomb.

Post subject: Horizon League Expansion
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UAB has raised $6MM for football - it's looking more likely they won't be moving:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... b-football

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:27 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Pending the NKU Board of Trustees' vote on 5/11/15, the Norse will be members of the Horizon League come Monday. Now the speculation can come to an end. It's pretty much a done deal! Welcome to the Horizon League Northern Kentucky Norse!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Flamesmania wrote:
Pending the NKU Board of Trustees' vote on 5/11/15, the Norse will be members of the Horizon League come Monday. Now the speculation can come to an end. It's pretty much a done deal! Welcome to the Horizon League Northern Kentucky Norse!

Thanks for the scoop Flames. Should that being official for Northern Kentucky, Belmont would wait for a few years to be in line for next top expansion candidates, should the HL decides to expand to 12 in the future. For now, the Horizon's set goal is to reach back to 10 members. Now on the other side of things, this would leave the Atlantic Sun with a member less (with 7, due to N. Kentucky's departure), causing that conference to lose its automatic qualifying bids on most of their sponsored sports.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports article discussing NKU to Horizon story at http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... zon-league" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It's a logical acquisition, even if NKU hasn't been lighting up the ASun. It's a suburban school in a state just over the river from Cincy, and a relatively short ride for Wright State, and, it taps into a basketball-crazy state.

To hear it from fans, this was a certainty, and that the Horizon was just figuring the right time to acquire them. Does the conference now go to twelve? Who or where do the others come from if so?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This is a good move for the Horizon. Puts them back at 10 with good travel pairs. As much as I'd like to see them go to 12 with IUPUI and IPFW I just don't see it happening because the magic number for a non-football conference is 10--it allows for double round robin scheduling, decent shares of tournament cash, and with 10 members they aren't at risk of being destabilized by a raid the way an 8 school league would be.

This puts the A-Sun seriously in the danger zone. They better be calling anyone and everyone right now. Best case scenario is they find someone who is already a full D-I member. I'd hit up non-football schools in the region who are currently in football leagues just to see if anyone is interested in jumping ship (UALR, New Orleans, A&M CC, UTA). I'd call up WAC schools like UTRGV, Chicago St, and UMKC too. NJIT is always around too if they have to resort to them. D-II upgrades are also an option but this conference is teetering on the brink of not having enough full members to be recognized by the NCAA.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:02 pm 
Junior
Junior

Brothers!

A toast is in order. This is the first expansion move in longer than I care to mention. With UAB on the move any day now, we will see shakeups among the Mid-Majors and perhaps the end of the WAC. To me, the games are mere comic books compared to the Shakespeare that is realignment. I will hereby stop making fun of the Big XII in appreciation for actual realignment moves. This is a great time (again) to be an expansion junkie.

Early predictions...

UAB to MVC, MVC sits at 11 and listens to who begs them the most.

Domino Theory suggests that the dominoes cannot stop falling until the original move effects the bottom or soon-to-be-former conference. Even this slight nudge from NKU must affect the WAC. And if it affects the WAC, then it could creep into FBS football as the Sun Belt is currently home to one otherwise WAC member. And then UMass is more of a Sun Belt candidate as they are required to become Indy or Sun Belt in 2017. The plot thickens.

Post subject: Horizon League Expansion
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:41 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

For maximum carnage:

NJIT to America East
Belmont and UAB to the MVC
South Alabama to C-USA
Lipscomb to the OVC
EKU and Jacksonville (AL) State to Sun Belt
Kennesaw State and ETSU to the OVC
USC Upstate to the Big South
UTRGV to the Southland
Bakersfield to the Big West
Seattle and Denver to the WCC
UMKC to the Summit
Stetson, Jacksonville, and North Florida to the SoCon
FGCU to America East

Utah Valley, Grand Canyon, and Chicago State, are left holding the bag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

In all seriousness, the WCC would rather take Denver & Grand Canyon than Seattle & Denver.

Word on the street is that Gonzaga opposes Seattle, and the WCC members aren't interested in expanding because it doesn't bring much to the table.

However from a logistics standpoint:

Gonzaga-Portland
Pacific-Saint Mary's
Santa Clara-San Francisco
Loyola Marymount-Pepperdine
BYU-San Diego

becomes:
Gonzaga-Portland
Pacific-Saint Mary's
Santa Clara-San Francisco
Loyola Marymount-Pepperdine
BYU-DENVER
San Diego-GRAND CANYON

And adds Arizona & Colorado to the TV footprint? If they both have NCAA bids soon, they could win some support.

That's OT, so sorry.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:37 am 
Freshman
Freshman

First it was Eastern Michigan dropping the HL name as a possible destination. Now comes New Mexico State of all places that's interested in the Horizon League for its non-football sports!

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... /83937868/

The NMSU President sent out a survey outlining the Aggies' choices after the '18 season.

"We have been in conversation with two other conferences; Horizon (which includes Illinois Chicago, Youngstown State, Oakland, Cleveland State and others) is like the WAC but all teams are located in the Midwest. We have some early conversations with an FCS conference (Big Sky) with most teams located in the western part of the country (such as Cal Poly, UC Davis, Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado to name a few).  The Big Sky would provide a home for football and most of our remaining sports."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next