NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Per Freaked's post (above), IPFW is splitting into 2 separate schools (or maybe one school with 1/2 the departments reporting to IU, and 1/2 the departments reporting to Purdue). It's a little fuzzy ! Maybe it's still IPFW (a combined entity ?)
Not clear what impact this has on their athletics department.

I would think if IPFW was the school invited, the upcoming press release should clarify.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Detroit reporting that IUPUI was the school that received the Horizon League invite with an announcement expected sometime within the next 2-3- weeks at http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /103102686

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Dayton also reporting that IUPUI has been invited to join the Horizon League at

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports ... qMNgck9sI/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Detroit reporting that Horizon League will announce IUPUI invite this week at http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... 103218394/

Also,IUPUI message indicating special announcement scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10 am local.Link at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDQvHtkXcAATO2e.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Release from IUPUI site with announcement that they will be joining the Horizon League for 2017-2018 at http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2017/6/27 ... eague.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Horizon League MB thread discussing possible future Horizon League expansion targets at http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net ... -additions

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

IPFW and Robert Morris (Pittsburgh) would be rational choices.

I think the UMKC kangaroos would potentially hurt the horizon's basketball RPI.

Last year EKU was lobbying to join the Sun-Belt and elevate their football program to FBS.
Not sure if that effort would be consistent with a move to the Horizon League (no football).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I also believe that IPFW (Fort Wayne) and Robert Morris (Pa.) would be solid choices for the Horizon. But that would possibly put the Summit on the breaking point.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

That may be why the Horizon only added IUPUI to get to 10, for right now.
Yeah, they poached the Summit, but didn't "wreck it" in one fell swoop.
Ultimately, IPFW is going to want to leave the Summit, as travel has to be a royal pain.
Even prior to IUPUI leaving the league, so many Fort Wayne to the Dakotas trips has to be tedious for the athletes.
The Horizon is more of a bus league.
So Summit needs to prepare NOW for that eventuality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
That may be why the Horizon only added IUPUI to get to 10, for right now.
Yeah, they poached the Summit, but didn't "wreck it" in one fell swoop.
Ultimately, IPFW is going to want to leave the Summit, as travel has to be a royal pain.
Even prior to IUPUI leaving the league, so many Fort Wayne to the Dakotas trips has to be tedious for the athletes.
The Horizon is more of a bus league.
So Summit needs to prepare NOW for that eventuality.

That I have to agree with you. And not only for Fort Wayne, but also for the rest of the eastern schools in the Summit (like Western Illinois) to travel the Dakota schools or Oral Roberts or Denver.

So far, the Summit has no core center geographically, when there are available spots to fill in like states such as Minnesota or Iowa or even Kansas or Nebraska. Should that league remain staying put, it would ultimately lead to endangered status; just like the WAC was when it lost most of its football conferences to the MW, the Sun Belt and C-USA in 2013, which later had to re-fill with some D-II upgrades and a few D-I indies within their geographic area.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm thinking the core of the Summit that column of states in the plains -

North Dakota (2 schools), South Dakota (2 schools), Nebraska (1 school), Kansas (nobody at this time, UMKC WAS immediately east), Oklahoma (1 school).

That's 6 members who are reasonably tight. Denver isn't too far west - that makes 7.

UMKC would fit in the Summit nicely from a geographic stand-point.... but they don't seem terribly committed to succeeding at D-1.
Would they come back ? Would the Summit want them back ?

WAC is lower on the totem pole than Summit. UVU is west from Denver, NMSU (Las Cruces) is South. That might be where to look next.
Don't see any Big Sky schools wanting to jump to the Summit, although Norther Colorado is a bit of an out-lier.
But the Big Sky does offer stability.

Agree that Western Illinois might be happier in the Horizon or MVC, from a travel stand-point.
But they'd be the western-most team in the Horizon, just as Robert Morris would be the eastern-most.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I also believe that the core for the Summit should be the Plains or the Upper Midwest. And like you said, there are the 4 Dakota schools, Nebraska-Omaha (for NE), Oral Roberts (for OK).

The other conference(s) in other sub-levels that have the Plains or the Upper Midwest are the Northern Sun (NSIC) and possibly the Rocky Mountain (RMAC, both from D-II; while there is also the Iowa Conference (IIAC) or the UMAC, both from D-III. While the eastern schools should be either in the Horizon or the MVC.

But in Western Illinois's case, they should be in the OVC with Eastern Illinois (who was also a former Summit school, when it was known as the Mid-Con).

For the Summit to add expansion members: having UMKC might be a solution geographically, but they're not competitive enough in the past few years, especially when leaving the Summit to join the WAC. The same applies for Chicago State, also a former Summit member, left to become an Indy before joining the WAC, making that conference it's outliner; when they should be in the Horizon.

Plus, I'm not sure that if the Summit is the right home for Denver, after spending just one season in the WAC, which was more geographic-friendly for them. But it's been 4 seasons since Denver became a Summit member school. Should they remain a bit longer, I think that an additional travel partner is needed, or the Summit (as well as the WAC) would face serious trouble when it comes to conference realignment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Another Horizon league MB thread discussing possible Horizon League expansion candidates at http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net ... ravel-pair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Sub-Human wrote:
In regard to Fort Wayne (IPFW) I posted these ideas several weeks ago--but for some reason my post never materialized on this board.
As a graduate of IPFW I had provided several pros and cons concerning Fort Wayne joining the Horizon League. But I'll just get to the meat of my thoughts to see if they actually appear this time...lol.

1. Here is a Cleveland State blog from March of 2014 with a quote from Cleveland State head coach Gary Waters "Waters said that the HL is looking at IPFW as a possible future member for joining the conference".

Link--- http://clevelandstatehoops.blogspot.com ... uglas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Since Valparaiso transitioned to the Horizon from the Summit League--Fort Wayne has gone 3-2 with Valpo, also handing them their worst home loss ever 63-46 in 2008-2009. Here is the Valpo fan forum where they are talking smack about IPFW with many of the commenters suggesting there is no rivalry between the schools...while others suggest caution...and sure enough IPFW (With an awesomely talented Frank Gaines who is currently playing summer league b-ball with the Pacers) goes off and Valpo gets beat 85-76 at the Coliseum in Fort Wayne.

Link: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=484.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is only a 100 miles from Valparaiso to Fort Wayne (Indiana's second largest city with a population of 256,000+) down Route 30--so I feel that there might possibly be a consideration about the geographic factor related to Fort Wayne being invited to the HL.

3. Fort Wayne was 30 seconds from getting a bid to the big dance in 2014 (Losing to NDSU by 3 in the Summit League tournament played for the last several years in guess where...the Dakotas) but still goes 25-11 and defeats a MAC team in post season play.

Is the blog and quote from the Cleveland State head basketball coach just hearsay? Maybe...but it is still interesting in the way in which it was shared...matter-of-factly with other Horizon League news. Also, Fort Wayne needs to increase their athletic budget to be on the same level as other Horizon League institutions...no doubt about it.

IPFW is not a sexy name for sure....but being branded as "Fort Wayne" by the Summit League the last few seasons is certainly a step in the right direction. Remember when Milwaukee and Green Bay were UW-Milwaukee and UW-Green Bay several years ago? These type of things take time which leads me to my last point.

As a Fort Wayne grad--do I think that IPFW is ready for the Horizon League? Probably not...still a few years away. However, from some of the smug posts on this board by Horizon League fans from other institutions who feel that the HL had written IPFW off years ago...they may want to at least get familiar with the idea.

IPFW has a ways to go in regard to perception, but from Cleveland State's Gary Waters comment it sounds like Fort Wayne is at least in the discussion. One final thought....8 of the 9 current Horizon League members once played and called the Summit League home (Only Detroit-Mercy did not)....so be gracious since you got there first...ya just never know ;)

The Summit League is consistently becoming a Great Plains oriented conference...maybe they will pick up an eastern-based school to offset this shift and keep IUPUI, Western Illinois, and IPFW interested in the Summit (Final RPI 17 in 2014, Horizon was 14, and Fort Wayne was 118) for long-term.

Alrighty, just a few thoughts--have saved and backed-up my comments just in case--hope they post this time :mrgreen:

Well, here we are again 3 years later and lo and behold Sub-Human it indeed looks as if the HL will be considering Fort Wayne. Come to find out that IUPUI did have excellent academics and appears that PFW will fit into that category as well. As for the Branding of IPFW, they went ahead and divested from Indiana and will be called Purdue Fort Wayne, but still Fort Wayne for sports. That is still branded much better than IUPUI. The Jags don't seem to be (not willing) able to change the name of the institution in order to get a marketable brand. Nevertheless they are the 10th team in the Horizon. Most of us HL fans think it was that Commissioner LeCrone has lived in Indy for the past 25 years and did not want to move or move the HL Headquarters to Detroit. Why would he? Indy is the Amateur Sports Capital of the World with the NCAA headquartered there as well. With Butler gone from Indy and Valpo gone from the State, the League needed another institution in the basketball-rich and basketball-crazed state of Indiana and Indianapolis in particular.

What Fort Wayne has going for it, is the fact that it is the only D1 basketball in town and can dominate the city with a more higher profile league like the HL. Only time will tell, but based on the rumors and chatter, it appears to be Fort Wayne and Robert Morris for '18-'19.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Beaver(previously posted in another thread)with comments from RMU AD and Horizon League Commish regarding conference realignment at http://www.timesonline.com/sports/colle ... 18026.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next