NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:32 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I forgot to mention earlier that NKU already has ties somewhat with the Horizon League. Northern Kentucky's president, Geoffrey Mearns,used to be a high ranking official at Cleveland State, while their new Athletic Director, Ken Bothof is also the recent ex-AD of Green Bay.

I would almost swear (and that's just me) that Commissioner Jon LeCrone or one of the HL presidents have already made a cursory call to President Mearns, Ken Bothof or both.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Flamesmania wrote:
I forgot to mention earlier that NKU already has ties somewhat with the Horizon League. Northern Kentucky's president, Geoffrey Mearns,used to be a high ranking official at Cleveland State, while their new Athletic Director, Ken Bothof is also the recent ex-AD of Green Bay.

I would almost swear (and that's just me) that Commissioner Jon LeCrone or one of the HL presidents have already made a cursory call to President Mearns, Ken Bothof or both.

If so NKU should have already asked where do we sign and how fast can you take us.

ASun and WAC should be worried about NKU(HL), Kennesaw St.(Big South, SoCon), and UTPA(SLC) leaving for other conferences. They should be expanding now before they're both sitting there w/ 7 conf. members.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I think the A-Sun should really be concerned about NKU and Kennesaw State possibly leaving. With Mercer and ETSU leaving, the Atlantic Sun will be down to 8 teams as far as the fans are concerned, but according to the NCAA, they will be down to 7 teams because of Northern Kentucky's Division I probationary status. So if Kennesaw State leaves, the A-Sun is now down to 6 NCAA Div I teams and in danger of losing their Automatic Qualifier.

If the Horizon League doesn't snatch NKU up for the '14-'15 season, it most surely will extend an invitation as soon as the probation period is up for the '16-'17 season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Flamesmania wrote:
I think the A-Sun should really be concerned about NKU and Kennesaw State possibly leaving. With Mercer and ETSU leaving, the Atlantic Sun will be down to 8 teams as far as the fans are concerned, but according to the NCAA, they will be down to 7 teams because of Northern Kentucky's Division I probationary status. So if Kennesaw State leaves, the A-Sun is now down to 6 NCAA Div I teams and in danger of losing their Automatic Qualifier.

If the Horizon League doesn't snatch NKU up for the '14-'15 season, it most surely will extend an invitation as soon as the probation period is up for the '16-'17 season.

The WAC is even worse off they'll be down to 8 next year w/ only 7 qualifiers since GCU would only be in yr 2 provisional. Plus the D-II pool willing to move D-I out west is far shallower than the southeast D-II pool. If UTPA gets picked up by the SLC, the WAC gets a 2 yr waiver(is that still the rule)? I think the provisional went from 1+4 to just 4 yrs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The WAC is even worse off they'll be down to 8 next year w/ only 7 qualifiers since GCU would only be in yr 2 provisional. Plus the D-II pool willing to move D-I out west is far shallower than the southeast D-II pool. If UTPA gets picked up by the SLC, the WAC gets a 2 yr waiver(is that still the rule)? I think the provisional went from 1+4 to just 4 yrs.

I thought New Mexico State AND Idaho were leaving the WAC. They're going to need to be on the hunt for more schools, and desperately as they will be down to just 6 qualifiers as Grand Canyon is still in year 2 of provisional. Since Kansas City has a new athletic director since they moved to the WAC, she just might reevaluate the move and deem it necessary to try to get back into the Summit. If that happens, Chicago State becomes the lone easternmost team in the conference and travel costs will begin to weigh on that program (all speculation on my part), not to mention the league could fall to 5 qualifiers and be in danger of disbanding, if indeed UMKC moves on.

Chicago State is probably still holding out hope in the backs of their minds of getting an invite to the Horizon League (one of the reasons they went independent a few years ago).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Flamesmania wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I thought New Mexico State AND Idaho were leaving the WAC. They're going to need to be on the hunt for more schools, and desperately as they will be down to just 6 qualifiers as Grand Canyon is still in year 2 of provisional. Since Kansas City has a new athletic director since they moved to the WAC, she just might reevaluate the move and deem it necessary to try to get back into the Summit. If that happens, Chicago State becomes the lone easternmost team in the conference and travel costs will begin to weigh on that program (all speculation on my part), not to mention the league could fall to 5 qualifiers and be in danger of disbanding, if indeed UMKC moves on.

Chicago State is probably still holding out hope in the backs of their minds of getting an invite to the Horizon League (one of the reasons they went independent a few years ago).

Nope, ONLY Idaho has planned to leave the WAC to start off next season by re-joining the Big Sky. I truly and hopefully wish that New Mexico State would do the same eventually. But if that happens, then the WAC will be more than in serious jeopardy to look for any members within the WAC's geographic footprint; even if UMKC plans on re-joining the Summit or not.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I'd like to see you guys get Belmont so that N.Alabama could replace them in the OVC. NKU works too, ASC will need to scramble to find an 8th member to replace them. Really they should already be adding D-II members. KSU is a flight risk already fb only in Big South. NKU has been talked about to the HL for a while.

Well, that could be a possibility. The OVC Presidents have already talked about adding North Alabama.
Here's an article I read from an EKU newspaper, The Eastern Progress:

By WESLEY ROBINSON
wesley_robinson28@mymail.eku.edu

Eastern’s Board of Regents didn’t make any decisions, but it laid the foundation for the university’s future Tuesday, including the possibility of jumping into big time football.

The Board met with Eastern’s administration to discuss university business but did not make any decisions during its retreat in Frankfort. One of major points of discussion the benefits of moving from Football Championship Subdivision Football to Football Bowl Subdivision.

QUINN EDIT:

PLEASE PROVIDE LINK TO ARTICLE, DO NOT COPY/PASTE OTHERS ORIGINAL MATERIAL. THANKS.

Here is the link: http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/02/26/board-hears-case-for-big-time-football/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9