NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:14 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:46 am 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:
If the HL takes Belmont, could IUPUI be a target for the OVC? The OVC wouldn't need a football school, and IUPUI serves as a connector between EIU and EKU/Morehead.

Wouldn't the OVC just replace Belmont with Lipscomb?

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Wait, you think that Belmont might be a possible eligible full member candidate for the Horizon, DESPITE not being in the Midwest footprint, which the conference has traditionally been? If so, will Northern Kentucky be next?

Yes, Belmont is on the HL radar. Nashville, really isn't that far out of the Midwest footprint. It is an easy flight for most schools from any Midwest airport into Nashville.
Nashville to Chicago is the same distance from Austin to Lubbock. And Tech is a huge rival of UT...and tons of people make the trip, either way.

And yes, NKU is also on the radar for the HL.

I don't think conferences, today, are that worried about an extra hour of travel. Market size, recruiting and academics seem to be more important.

Post subject: Horizon League Expansion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I know it would probably be beneath the Horizon League to add a school straight from D-II, but Bellarmine in Louisville is the missing spoke in the wheel.

SIU-Edwardsville could also work as it a 4.5 hour drive from Nashville. A small piece of the St. Louis market may be worth more than a small piece of the Louisville market.

To some degree Nashville is the south end of the grey area between the Midwest and South since so many people in Nashville aren't from there originally.

And yes, if Belmont goes, I'd expect Lipscomb to get a look from the OVC. It will just depend on what the OVC wants to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:24 am 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:
I know it would probably be beneath the Horizon League to add a school straight from D-II, but Bellarmine in Louisville is the missing spoke in the wheel.

SIU-Edwardsville could also work as it a 4.5 hour drive from Nashville. A small piece of the St. Louis market may be worth more than a small piece of the Louisville market.

To some degree Nashville is the south end of the grey area between the Midwest and South since so many people in Nashville aren't from there originally.

And yes, if Belmont goes, I'd expect Lipscomb to get a look from the OVC. It will just depend on what the OVC wants to do.

Is there any word on Bellarmine or even UM St. Louis? The Realignment Grid says they could be ready....but, I think that was written a few years ago...and yet nothing has happened.
What's the scoop?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

wbyeager wrote:

Actually, if Belmont does indeed become a full member of the Horizon, Lipscomb would also be considered...as a natural travel partner. As mentioned before, the other two southern choices, Evansville and Murray State probably won't come. That leaves Lipscomb, which would make a better partner anyway. They are in the same state; same city; share the same boulevard; have shared the same students (transfers). Being in a higher profile league with more TV exposure could elevate their rivalry to another level, a la Detroit vs Oakland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:11 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

So why exactly does the Horizon hate IUPUI and IPFW so much? They seem like natural fits in that league especially if they were to go to 12 and institute division play.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 am 
Senior
Senior

I'm certain that Valpo, UIC, Detroit and Milwaukee already recruit the northern Indiana area pretty heavily. So, I can see why they really wouldn't want to add two more schools to fight for the same students. Especially, since they just got rid of Butler...in the same territory(at least out of this conference).

I agree with those who believe the Horizon should probably look elsewhere for additional schools. Expanding the footprint...even if it's just to southern Indiana, Ky, Ill, or Tenn. would add to the recruiting capabilities of every school in the conference.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:51 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

In regard to Fort Wayne (IPFW) I posted these ideas several weeks ago--but for some reason my post never materialized on this board.
As a graduate of IPFW I had provided several pros and cons concerning Fort Wayne joining the Horizon League. But I'll just get to the meat of my thoughts to see if they actually appear this time...lol.

1. Here is a Cleveland State blog from March of 2014 with a quote from Cleveland State head coach Gary Waters "Waters said that the HL is looking at IPFW as a possible future member for joining the conference".

Link--- http://clevelandstatehoops.blogspot.com ... uglas.html

2. Since Valparaiso transitioned to the Horizon from the Summit League--Fort Wayne has gone 3-2 with Valpo, also handing them their worst home loss ever 63-46 in 2008-2009. Here is the Valpo fan forum where they are talking smack about IPFW with many of the commenters suggesting there is no rivalry between the schools...while others suggest caution...and sure enough IPFW (With an awesomely talented Frank Gaines who is currently playing summer league b-ball with the Pacers) goes off and Valpo gets beat 85-76 at the Coliseum in Fort Wayne.

Link: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=484.0

It is only a 100 miles from Valparaiso to Fort Wayne (Indiana's second largest city with a population of 256,000+) down Route 30--so I feel that there might possibly be a consideration about the geographic factor related to Fort Wayne being invited to the HL.

3. Fort Wayne was 30 seconds from getting a bid to the big dance in 2014 (Losing to NDSU by 3 in the Summit League tournament played for the last several years in guess where...the Dakotas) but still goes 25-11 and defeats a MAC team in post season play.

Is the blog and quote from the Cleveland State head basketball coach just hearsay? Maybe...but it is still interesting in the way in which it was shared...matter-of-factly with other Horizon League news. Also, Fort Wayne needs to increase their athletic budget to be on the same level as other Horizon League institutions...no doubt about it.

IPFW is not a sexy name for sure....but being branded as "Fort Wayne" by the Summit League the last few seasons is certainly a step in the right direction. Remember when Milwaukee and Green Bay were UW-Milwaukee and UW-Green Bay several years ago? These type of things take time which leads me to my last point.

As a Fort Wayne grad--do I think that IPFW is ready for the Horizon League? Probably not...still a few years away. However, from some of the smug posts on this board by Horizon League fans from other institutions who feel that the HL had written IPFW off years ago...they may want to at least get familiar with the idea.

IPFW has a ways to go in regard to perception, but from Cleveland State's Gary Waters comment it sounds like Fort Wayne is at least in the discussion. One final thought....8 of the 9 current Horizon League members once played and called the Summit League home (Only Detroit-Mercy did not)....so be gracious since you got there first...ya just never know ;)

The Summit League is consistently becoming a Great Plains oriented conference...maybe they will pick up an eastern-based school to offset this shift and keep IUPUI, Western Illinois, and IPFW interested in the Summit (Final RPI 17 in 2014, Horizon was 14, and Fort Wayne was 118) for long-term.

Alrighty, just a few thoughts--have saved and backed-up my comments just in case--hope they post this time :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Sub-Human wrote:
In regard to Fort Wayne (IPFW) I posted these ideas several weeks ago--but for some reason my post never materialized on this board.
As a graduate of IPFW I had provided several pros and cons concerning Fort Wayne joining the Horizon League. But I'll just get to the meat of my thoughts to see if they actually appear this time...lol.

1. Here is a Cleveland State blog from March of 2014 with a quote from Cleveland State head coach Gary Waters "Waters said that the HL is looking at IPFW as a possible future member for joining the conference".

Link--- http://clevelandstatehoops.blogspot.com ... uglas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Since Valparaiso transitioned to the Horizon from the Summit League--Fort Wayne has gone 3-2 with Valpo, also handing them their worst home loss ever 63-46 in 2008-2009. Here is the Valpo fan forum where they are talking smack about IPFW with many of the commenters suggesting there is no rivalry between the schools...while others suggest caution...and sure enough IPFW (With an awesomely talented Frank Gaines who is currently playing summer league b-ball with the Pacers) goes off and Valpo gets beat 85-76 at the Coliseum in Fort Wayne.

Link: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=484.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is only a 100 miles from Valparaiso to Fort Wayne (Indiana's second largest city with a population of 256,000+) down Route 30--so I feel that there might possibly be a consideration about the geographic factor related to Fort Wayne being invited to the HL.

Is the blog and quote from the Cleveland State head basketball coach just hearsay? Maybe...but it is still interesting in the way in which it was shared...matter-of-factly with other Horizon League news. Also, Fort Wayne needs to increase their athletic budget to be on the same level as other Horizon League institutions...no doubt about it.

What Coach Waters mentioned about Fort Wayne could be nothing more than just the HL doing their due diligence in vetting potential conference members. Fort Wayne going 3-2 against Valpo just means that one team has the other team's number and is not indicative of future conference inclusion. The other accolades you list for the 'Dons are great, but recent and have not been sustained. Fort Wayne would have to make HUGE inroads financially as well as facilities wise to be on par with Horizon League schools. Also the academics and mission of HL schools are different than IPFW.

Sub-Human wrote:
As a Fort Wayne grad--do I think that IPFW is ready for the Horizon League? Probably not...still a few years away. However, from some of the smug posts on this board by Horizon League fans from other institutions who feel that the HL had written IPFW off years ago...they may want to at least get familiar with the idea.

IPFW has a ways to go in regard to perception, but from Cleveland State's Gary Waters comment it sounds like Fort Wayne is at least in the discussion. One final thought....8 of the 9 current Horizon League members once played and called the Summit League home (Only Detroit-Mercy did not)....so be gracious since you got there first...ya just never know ;)

I don't think it's a matter of being smug, but just posting things that we've heard throughout this whole expansion/realignment stuff. We've seen statements and have had conversations with some in the know (even those in administration at our respective schools) that said IUPUI and IPFW were not considered viable candidates for the Horizon League. Sure, things could change, but that change will be a long time coming. Again, what Coach Waters said is no indication of impending inclusion (although you didn't say it was).

UIC, CSU, Green Bay, Wright State and Milwaukee, all left the Mid-Continent Conference (along with Northern Illinois) as a group in '94. None of those teams were under Commissioner Douple, so to imply that our schools came from that same conference or culture that exists today is a bit misleading. Valparaiso was to initially leave when the group left, but at the time the Valpo AD and the Mid-Con Commish were father/son, hence their staying behind. Oakland is the only program that has played in the current Summit.

The HL, since then has ranked between 10 & 14 as a league with an average ranking of 12. The Summit had a great year rpi-wise, but usually rank in the 20's.

Hey look, if the Board of Directors decide to invite Fort Wayne, then so be it, but we think there are better candidates and better fits for the league.

By the way, I do think the Mastodons is a great team nickname.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11