CollegeSportsInfo.com Forums
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/

Horizon League Expansion & Realignment Thread
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1638
Page 4 of 17

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Fri May 04, 2012 10:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

Article out of Royal Oak with comments from Oakland AD regarding his school's interest in joining the Horizon League at http://www.dailytribune.com/article/201 ... full_story

Quinn Edit: fixed URL since it was broken, also linked to "full story" url while fixing

Author:  Fresno St. Alum [ Wed May 09, 2012 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

They just need to vote them in 8-1 or convince Detroit to be okay w/ it. (if a 9-0 vote is needed)

From, NoDak on the csn board.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... n-86780314
Quote:
Oakland University basketball coach Greg Kampe says the University of Detroit stopped the Horizon League from allowing his program to join the conference a decade ago.

Former Detroit athletic director Brad Kinsman says Kampe's recollection is accurate. Kinsman recalls Detroit determined back then that it didn't made sense to share the Motor City market with another school in the same league.

Kampe hopes the Horizon wants Oakland to fill the void created last week when Butler announced plans to join the Atlantic 10. He's also hoping the Titans view the Golden Grizzlies potentially joining the conference as a win-win deal.

Author:  Quinn [ Thu May 10, 2012 11:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

I'm certainly with Kampe that Oakland should be in the Horizon, to help the Horizon in Michigan. But that said, even with a strong Oakland program, I still see more benefits for the Horizon to get back into Indianapolis. Losing Butler alone hurt...school could have been based out of Fargo. But Losing the Indianapolis market hurts a lot. IUPUI could replace that. Not to mention, IUPUI is a larger school than most in the Summit, a better fit for the Horizon.

IUPUI has an enrollment that doubles the next largest in the Summit. But in the Horizon, their 28k enrollment would be 2nd or 3rd largest school.

Author:  Fresno St. Alum [ Thu May 10, 2012 2:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

Quinn wrote:
I'm certainly with Kampe that Oakland should be in the Horizon, to help the Horizon in Michigan. But that said, even with a strong Oakland program, I still see more benefits for the Horizon to get back into Indianapolis. Losing Butler alone hurt...school could have been based out of Fargo. But Losing the Indianapolis market hurts a lot. IUPUI could replace that. Not to mention, IUPUI is a larger school than most in the Summit, a better fit for the Horizon.

IUPUI has an enrollment that doubles the next largest in the Summit. But in the Horizon, their 28k enrollment would be 2nd or 3rd largest school.

So where would IUPUI play home games? Their high school gym sucks. No school in Indy should play in something that small.

Author:  Quinn [ Thu May 10, 2012 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Horizon League Expansion

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:
I'm certainly with Kampe that Oakland should be in the Horizon, to help the Horizon in Michigan. But that said, even with a strong Oakland program, I still see more benefits for the Horizon to get back into Indianapolis. Losing Butler alone hurt...school could have been based out of Fargo. But Losing the Indianapolis market hurts a lot. IUPUI could replace that. Not to mention, IUPUI is a larger school than most in the Summit, a better fit for the Horizon.

IUPUI has an enrollment that doubles the next largest in the Summit. But in the Horizon, their 28k enrollment would be 2nd or 3rd largest school.

So where would IUPUI play home games? Their high school gym sucks. No school in Indy should play in something that small.


Yes, it's small. But so is Oaklands. Funny how the top 2 options both have the worst gyms.


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qke3b1

Author:  JPSchmack [ Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

It's amazing to me that more schools don't get it from a facilities standpoint.

You can't control what the rest of your conference does, what referees and umpires do, what the weather does, what high school juniors are going to decide on which school to go to, what stupid decisions they make in college, what they do in class, etc.

The one thing you can control is the facilities. If you have a nice crib, you get more recruits and more TV games. Period.


Also, they could go 12 with Oakland, IUPUI and IPFW. That makes decent travel partners:
SOUTH
CSU / YSU
WSU / IPFW
Valpo/ IUPUI
NORTH
DET-OAK
GB-MIL
LOY-UIC

Author:  Quinn [ Fri May 11, 2012 9:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

JPSchmack wrote:
It's amazing to me that more schools don't get it from a facilities standpoint.

You can't control what the rest of your conference does, what referees and umpires do, what the weather does, what high school juniors are going to decide on which school to go to, what stupid decisions they make in college, what they do in class, etc.

The one thing you can control is the facilities. If you have a nice crib, you get more recruits and more TV games. Period.


Also, they could go 12 with Oakland, IUPUI and IPFW. That makes decent travel partners:
SOUTH
CSU / YSU
WSU / IPFW
Valpo/ IUPUI
NORTH
DET-OAK
GB-MIL
LOY-UIC



Would be fantastic for travel partners with UDM/Oak and IUPUI/IPFW.

Have to feel for the Summit if that happened.

Not long ago, they moved up to a position of some power, with a number of conferences below them.

But if they lost those 3 schools, they'd be down to what, 6 schools? Seems like a lock that they'd go after Idaho, Boise St., Denver and Utah Valley if they were available. Worst case scenario, they'd have to hope for Denver, Seattle and Utah Valley for a 9 school membership. Luckily, Seattle, Denver and SLC are easy flight destinations for the trips out west.

Summit will be fine it appears, since really, it seems like 4 schools leaving would be the maximum...since the Big Sky has so many members already, less of a threat.

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Thu May 31, 2012 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

Article out of Cleveland with comments from CSU AD regarding Butler and future Horizon League expansion at http://www.cleveland.com/sports/csu/ind ... hange.html

Author:  Dennis [ Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers ... 71845.html

jsonline article indicating Horizon League has a 5,000 seat minimum capacity for basketball. Milwaukee has been granted a waiver to move back to campus facility. I assume this is temporary while they build a new arena on campus.

Oakland, IUPUI, and Robert Morris do not meet this requirement, and the latter two do not have baseball. IPFW arena meets the requirement, and they have baseball.

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

Blog article out of Evansville discussing "unconfirmed report" that the Horizon league would be adding Evansville,Oakland and Belmont.Link at http://www.courierpressblogs.com/sports/ue/?p=217

Author:  Fresno St. Alum [ Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

So is the Oakland and Belmont part still true? Belmont will be paying lots of exit fees ASC & OVC. Who would be 12, IPFW? I bet UNA hopes Belmont leaves that way they can try and get the 12th spot unless NKU wants to leave a conf they just got in. UNA is the better option, I don't know if the OVC knows that.

Author:  fighting muskie [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

I find the Belmont element of this new rumor suspicious. The Bruins have just landed a spot in the OVC and they are located in the biggest market in that conference and are right in the middle of the footprint. They are also a basketball-first school in a football league which means their tourney prospects are very good in the OVC. It strikes me that a move to the HL would be costly and create a lot of travel for them.

However, Oakland moving makes a ton of sense--travel partner for Detroit etc.
I could also see Evansville wanting to move into a new home where they would be more competitive.

Perhaps we should swap out Belmont for Robert Morris. It gives you a nice East/West split:

East: Detroit Mercy, Oakland, Wright St, Cleveland St, Youngstown St, Robert Morris
West: Evansville, Valparaiso, UIC, Loyola (CHI), Milwaukee, Green Bay

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

Article out of Peoria(previously posted in another thread)discussing unconfirmed report that MVC member Evansville "may" be headed to the Horizon League.Link at http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x135322086 ... ch-the-MVC

Author:  SJSUFan2010 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/ ... 30c91.html

Came across this today. Obviously not coming as a surprise to any of us that they will expand, but I did think it was interesting that he says he expects a lot of moves between now and the Final Four. It's a week and a half old so maybe he was just referring to the Catholic 7/Big East situation, but seeing as how he's taking a patient approach, I wonder if he's hoping a conference like the MVC will get hit soon (more than Creighton).

Whatever the case, looks like the Horizon has a solid group and can set back for awhile rather than expanding too quickly.

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Horizon League Expansion

Blog article out of Tulsa(previously posted in another thread)discussing report that at least 3 Horizon League members are getting campus visits this week from the MVC at http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportsp ... y/17-19695

Page 4 of 17 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/