NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:02 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Great Land Grants knew exactly what they were doing. Moving up without 100% conference affiliation was a risk, but the benefits were much greater. The GWFC was on the burner and there was reason to believe the BSC would invite.

We learned something, but I dont think anyone is going to argue against the wisdom of the move. We control the situation not only for ourselves but for future move ups as well. Being first has it advantages.

If any other NCC teams move up scheduling is not a given. NDSU will be dictating the terms of the contracts. Our scheduling options are getting better every year.

The NDSU 2007 home football schedule is a real barn burner and we have the Gophers in Minneapolis, the equivalent of another home game. We still have some questions about 2006 but some very exciting irons are in the fire.

If there is no movement from any of the existing conferences we have affiliations covering most of our sports and all of the majors. Any new schools are just home games for us, at least in the near term.

In some ways you make your friends where you find them. The Great Land Grants fit well into the old NCC footprint. The old NCC footprint doesnt seem to fit so well with Division I.

Talk about markets? Thats why the Great Land Grants are Division I. They have the largest markets in the state as their local intrastate market and also have the DI markets statewide. Thats what the initiative of moving first gave them. Any attempt by others to move up is an attempt to take some of that market for themselves. Thats going to influence some thinking.

Last edited by 11jbb11 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

The NDSU 2007 home football schedule is a real barn burner and we have the Gophers in Minneapolis, the equivilant of another home game.

Yeah some home game, it would be like Missouri State playing Mizzou in St. Louis and calling it a home game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

I dont know how many Missouri State fans go to that game but thousands of NDSU fans will be at the Metro Dome. I-94 is a straight shot and I-29 will help some too! Thats why the Gophers sometimes lose home field advantage to Wisconsin and Iowa. Its closer for me to go to the Metro Dome than the Fabulous Fargo Dome anyway!

Good infrastructure is a key to profitable conference and scheduling relationships. If NDSU can make it worth the Universities trouble to pay us top $ to play we may be able to get them in Fargo someday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UND and USD are likely both statewide teams in their respective states, either at the level of NDSU and SDSU or nearly at that level in market size.

I-29 north of Fargo has Grand Forks, which is UND's town, so not many NDSUers there, and then Grafton, which is a small town. Oh up north further there is the "Chicago of Canada" = Winnipeg. Neil Young's home town. Any NDSU fans in Winnipeg? or are they paying attention to the University of Manitoba vs. the University of Winnipeg rivalry? That would provide the kind of people you are talking about that would use I-29 to go to the Twin Cities. South on that very lonely, "that-a-naked-woman-could-run-across-both-northbound-and-southbound-lanes-of-the-freeway-twice-without-seeing-a-car Interstate 29" there is only Wahpeton, and really nothing else. They would actually be going out of the way to go north on that nude-lady-crossing Interstate 29 to Fargo then take I-94 to the Twin Cities. They would be more likely to use Minnesota State Highway 210 east to I-94 at Fergus Falls and then go east-southeast on I-94 to the Twin Cities.

So it must be really nice to have the taxpayers of Minnesota and the nation as a whole to have I-94 to accommodate those NDSUers to the Twin Cities.

Last edited by metropolitan on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:54 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

Yeah some home game, it would be like Missouri State playing Mizzou in St. Louis and calling it a home game.

Old 11jbb11 might have gotten carried away when he said that the Gopher game would be "the equivalent of a home game", but he certainly didn't go so far as to say that NDSU would be counting it as a home game. It's just that there are more NDSU alumni in the Twin Cities than anyplace else, Fargo to Minneapolis is considered an easy drive, and there is the novelty of playing a Big 10 team. These things *could* add up to a very large Bison crowd at the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:06 am 
Senior
Senior

Youve got it Bisondefender, thats exactly where I was coming from.

But now that im done laughing I would have to say that it is very nice the taxpayers have paid for great highways so NDSU fans could get to Minneapolis. Im also sure many BISON fans will fly. I would also have to assume, acknowledging Metro as the expert, the public investments in the airports were also for this singular purpose!

One sentiment that is emerging, and I find it interesting, is the resistance to return to an NCC like conference. That could make it tough for move-ups hoping to follow in the footsteps of the Great Land Grants in their effort to take market share from them.

Last edited by 11jbb11 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:26 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Someone tell me more about these alleged naked women running across the interstate someplace in N. Dakota.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:37 am 

Quote:
Someone tell me more about these alleged naked women running across the interstate someplace in N. Dakota.

You don't suppose it is Lashette and her friends herding sheep.......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:46 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Its kinda like an old saying. That there are so few passerby's that someone could , in theory run across the interstate without any clothes on and actually get away with it.

We actually have had this problem in Ann Arbor and surrounding communities, but with passerby's actually witnessing. There's this local artist that likes to photograph nude people outdoors in urban settings. This woman once road through on the main street in a neighboring small town while riding a horse without any clothes on while the photographer took her picture. They both went to jail.

Then there is also the annual Ann Arbor Naked Mile where University of Michigan seniors run across the campus naked, and the police actually don't do anything. I think it ended a couple of years back due to the expansion of the internet and people's photos ending up on the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:54 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

I'm glad you asked, Skippy. It's time that North Dakota's sometimes horrifying secret was revealed.

Here's the scoop: Interstate highway funds were used to build the Lawrence Welk Memorial Sauna ($75 million) on the opposite side of the highway from the Miss Peggy Lee Snow Drift ($45 million).

On the bright side, there are a number of solutions on the drawing board, but with the completion of The Phil Jackson Skytrain linking Ayr to Zap, we've run out of famous North Dakotans after whom to name giant public works projects. A five-year plan to kidnap famous people and hold them in North Dakota for the 48 hours it takes to make them naturalized citizens* met with no success (we dropped a number of operatives into celebrity-filled areas with massive amounts of operating funds, but they all disappeared and never returned to North Dakota).

As a solution, the highest-levels of state government, federal government and Fox TV are teaming up for a new reality TV program called, "Celebrity Ice House", in which celebrities must spend an entire North Dakota winter in a luxurious ice fishing house in the middle of Devils Lake.

BTW, are you a b-list celebrity with tax problems? Eight months on ice and you'll be free and clear - plus you'll get a $100 million sauna-to-snowbank habitrail named after you. You will also be a North Dakotan evermore (bwahahahaa!).

Needless to say, as soon as we finish this project, the University of North and North Dakota State will once again meet on the gridiron. I actually have had a power point presentation incorporating data about road grades (histograms), frequency of highway bends (XY scatter graphs), distribution of mountain ranges (polygons), photos of naked women running (pictograms), traffic counts (bar graphs), and market sizes (pie charts) interspersed with pithy quotes from famous authors of management books - all of which demonstrated that the resumption of North Dakota's greatest rivalry game is inevitable. Unfortunately, while I was messing around trying to figure out how to link to a slide show from within a post, my cat summarily ate the whole presentation, pithy quotes and all.

------------------------------

* Once you are a naturalized North Dakota citizen, it is nearly impossible to become "de-naturalized." The only exception: Michelle Pfeiffer. She was actually born in North Dakota but spent $3.5 million getting her place of birth legally changed to Santa Ana, California. Doing so required burning down an entire North Dakota town, plowing it under, and then salting the earth on which it once stood with, um, salt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad you asked, Skippy. It's time that North Dakota's sometimes horrifying secret was revealed.

Here's the scoop: Interstate highway funds were used to build the Lawrence Welk Memorial Sauna ($75 million) on the opposite side of the highway from the Miss Peggy Lee Snow Drift ($45 million).

On the bright side, there are a number of solutions on the drawing board, but with the completion of The Phil Jackson Skytrain linking Ayr to Zap, we've run out of famous North Dakotans after whom to name giant public works projects. A five-year plan to kidnap famous people and hold them in North Dakota for the 48 hours it takes to make them naturalized citizens* met with no success (we dropped a number of operatives into celebrity-filled areas with massive amounts of operating funds, but they all disappeared and never returned to North Dakota).

As a solution, the highest-levels of state government, federal government and Fox TV are teaming up for a new reality TV program called, "Celebrity Ice House", in which celebrities must spend an entire North Dakota winter in a luxurious ice fishing house in the middle of Devils Lake.

BTW, are you a b-list celebrity with tax problems? Eight months on ice and you'll be free and clear - plus you'll get a $100 million sauna-to-snowbank habitrail named after you. You will also be a North Dakotan evermore (bwahahahaa!).

Needless to say, as soon as we finish this project, the University of North and North Dakota State will once again meet on the gridiron. I actually have had a power point presentation incorporating data about road grades (histograms), frequency of highway bends (XY scatter graphs), distribution of mountain ranges (polygons), photos of naked women running (pictograms), traffic counts (bar graphs), and market sizes (pie charts) interspersed with pithy quotes from famous authors of management books - all of which demonstrated that the resumption of North Dakota's greatest rivalry game is inevitable. Unfortunately, while I was messing around trying to figure out how to link to a slide show from within a post, my cat summarily ate the whole presentation, pithy quotes and all.

------------------------------

* Once you are a naturalized North Dakota citizen, it is nearly impossible to become "de-naturalized." The only exception: Michelle Pfeiffer. She was actually born in North Dakota but spent $3.5 million getting her place of birth legally changed to Santa Ana, California. Doing so required burning down an entire North Dakota town, plowing it under, and then salting the earth on which it once stood with, um, salt.

;D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

;D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

I dont want to be misunderstood in this. By being king, or holding all the aces, however you want to say it, NDSU stands to gain. Its unfair to ask the UBC or the GWFC to expand asymmetrically for any new move-up.

The UBC & GWFC would be logical move-up conferences but it puts a real burden on some of the schools if the expansion isn't geographically balanced. It might not be unreasonable to ask the new member to absorb some or all of the excess costs by giving visiting conference teams a prearranged guarantee. Its also appropriate to charge a once time entrance fee to be shared by existing members?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Let's just say that I don't see NDSU holding all the aces. The Great West isn't exactly in a position to be picky.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:57 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
Let's just say that I don't see NDSU holding all the aces. The Great West isn't exactly in a position to be picky.

What? I thought they were "Kings?" Of what I'm not sure...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next