NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

This past fall, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville began studying a DI move. In the St. Louis paper write-up, there is talk about them getting into the Missouri Valley, but that would seem quite a stretch. The MidCon needs a St. Louis metro school (e.g. SIUE) as a bridge between the Chicago/Indy/Detroit core geography and the KC/Tulsa schools. If the MidCon could add a St. Louis area school (ISUE, UMSL, or Lindenwood) and find another home for Southern Utah, the footprint and likely stability of the MidCon would be much improved.

http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/TASKFORCE/1218bnd.pdf
http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/TASKFORCE/STLtoday.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:10 pm 
Junior
Junior

Don't they play football, though?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

No football at SIUE. Seems a little wierd for them actually to be thinking about D1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/MSOC/

There is "football" at SIUE, and the history of it might be the only reason they could get the Missouri Valley to raise an eyebrow. Doesn't mean THAT will happen, just saying that Edwardsville does have an advantage somewhere.

What shouldn't be surprising is, on the main athletics page, the task force announcement is right next to a $2 million donation to the school's wrestling program. Funny how that works.

Last edited by pounder on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

This also seems strange since SIU-Carbondale (i.e., "the" SIU) is reportedly pondering a move from I-AA to I-A and the MAC; one move alone would already be quite the accomplishment, but pulling off both at the same time or in short succession would be especially difficult.

The Mid-Con would be a great fit for SIUE, and while not a great fit, an acceptable possibility for the Horizon League down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
This also seems strange since SIU-Carbondale (i.e., "the" SIU) is reportedly pondering a move from I-AA to I-A and the MAC; one move alone would already be quite the accomplishment, but pulling off both at the same time or in short succession would be especially difficult.

The Mid-Con would be a great fit for SIUE, and while not a great fit, an acceptable possibility for the Horizon League down the road.

Thats not true about the MAC, try Sun Belt for football with Missouri State and Illinois State, with all 3 staying in the MVC for all other sports.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Either it's the Horizon, the Mid-Con, the Mizzou Valley or the Ohio Valley; Southern Illinois-Edwardsville has to belong to either one of them. Besides, if SIU-E goes to the MVC, it would be great having the team facing with the main campus of Southern Illinois (at Carbondale).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:38 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Either it's the Horizon, the Mid-Con, the Mizzou Valley or the Ohio Valley; Southern Illinois-Edwardsville has to belong to either one of them. Besides, if SIU-E goes to the MVC, it would be great having the team facing with the main campus of Southern Illinois (at Carbondale).

SIUE is not going to the MVC anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I was just predicting if necessarily possible. I wasn't taking things seriously.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:28 am 
Freshman
Freshman

SIUE would be a UBC team for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SIUE as an Independent and later in the UBC? I'm not sure about that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With North Dakota and South Dakota on their way up to Division I, and with North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne all having joined the Mid-Continent Conference, that door may be closing on SIUE. If I were at SIUE, I'd concentrate on joining the OVC, especially after Chattanooga publicly rejected a move out of the Southern Conference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

On or about March 1, 2007, the authorities that run SIU-E approved the move to Division 1.

The president / AD indicated that they are actively seeking conference affiliation, but declined to mention who they are talking to.

The obvious guesses are the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) - now down to 10 with the defection of Samford to the SoCon, and the Mid-Con (also at 10 after the departure of Valpo, and the addition of NDSU, SDSU and IPFW). The MVC would be their wet dream, but certainly the folks at SIU-E are more realistic than to expect an MVC invitation for a recent move-up from D-II.

The UBC is not a real conference, but a scheduling alliance, that has been reduced to 3 schools with the departure of NDSU, SDSU, and IPFW. Perhaps short-term (failing a conference invitation) the UBC makes sense for independent schools such as NDU, SDU, SIU-E, and perhaps Chicago State.

If the OVC has designs for going to 12 (they did while they were 11 and approached Tennessee-Chattanooga of the SoCon), they might target SIU-E and perhaps Western Illinois (of the Mid-Con) as being solidly within their footprint.

The Mid-Con is in a state of flux. I think long-term they may think about rationalizing their footprint. Southern Utah and Centenary
are the out-liers. Southern Utah has made no secret of their desire to join the Big Sky (although the Big Sky has considered and rejected them at least once, they may currently be the #1 expansion candidate if the Big Sky wanted to add a school in the near term). Centenary sought membership during last year's Southland expansion but was rejected (perhaps due to no football program). If those 2 left, the conference would be down to 8. Obvious expansion candidates are NDU and SDU (to fill out their northern flank and complement NDSU and SDSU) and if the conference found itself wanting to add ONE other school, SIU-E would seem to be very geographically desirable - in fact it might provide Western Illinois a reason to not look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:47 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It appears as if no one else leaves the Mid-Continent before July 1, 2007 (Centenary is just coming up on five years) that 6/5 Compliance won't be an issue if only one team leaves. Also, since North Dakota and South Dakota appear(ed) to be locks for the #11 and #12 spots, maybe SIU-E and Utah Valley State get in instead to keep the conference at an even number.

West - UVSC, SUU, NDSU, SDSU, ORU, Centenary
East - UMKC, WIU, SIUE, IPFW, IUPUI, Oakland

Perhaps even Chicago State can be talked into rejoining instead of admitting UVSC (in which case UMKC goes to the West), who now finds themselves in a very compact division.

Keep in mind that the OVC's Morehead State plays football in the Pioneer League, so they actually have the "perfect number" for football (9) and basketball (10) once Samford leaves. If Morehead State goes scholarship, then perhaps they look to expand to 12 for all sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:36 pm 
Senior
Senior

I seriously doubt the now-Summit would let Chicago State back into the fold. Their leaving (well along with Valpo, but VU moved to another conference, rather than going independent to avoid conference sanctions) is what caused the then-Mid-Con to have to add more teams, and the black eye CSU gave them rather than taking their due punishment is enough to make the rest of the conference members to give them the thumbs down. I honestly think that ChiState may be dropping down a division (at least) in the forseeable future.