CollegeSportsInfo.com Forums
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/

SoCon Realignment
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1657
Page 15 of 16

Author:  tute79 [ Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

Are we looking at expansion being announced today ?

I thought I read that the conf. president's / AD's meeting wraps up today, and they had previously conducted their campus visits, etc. to VMI, ETSU, and Mercer....
one article mentioned some sort of expansion discussion on the agenda for Thursday....

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

Article out of Chattanooga with comments from SoCon Commish regarding expected SoCon expansion vote this morning on ETSU,Mercer and VMI and a "possible"announcement later today.Link at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... -add-three

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

Article out of Chattanooga reporting that as expected,SoCon announced invitations have been extended to VMI,Mercer, and ETSU with official acceptance announcements expected later this week.Link at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... oin-league

Author:  tute79 [ Thu May 30, 2013 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

This link might work better....

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/30/2 ... -Join.aspx

Author:  accseahawk [ Thu May 30, 2013 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

I am liking the 9/10 lineup the SoCon has now. That could work very well for them

Author:  Fresno St. Alum [ Thu May 30, 2013 9:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

accseahawk wrote:
I am liking the 9/10 lineup the SoCon has now. That could work very well for them

meh, 9/12 or 10/12. I don't think anyone should be under 12 unless they're the Ivy or WCC or just can't find enough like WAC, ASC, Summit, AEC

Author:  wbyeager [ Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  SoCon Realignment

If the SoCon wanted 9/12, add Lipscomb and either USC Upstate or Jacksonville.

Lipscomb
VMI
UTC
ETSU
WCU
UNCG

The Citadel
Furman
Wofford
USCU/Jacksonville
Mercer
Samford

Author:  Fresno St. Alum [ Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

wbyeager wrote:
If the SoCon wanted 9/12, add Lipscomb and either USC Upstate or Jacksonville.

Lipscomb
VMI
UTC
ETSU
WCU
UNCG

The Citadel
Furman
Wofford
USCU/Jacksonville
Mercer
Samford


UNCA trumps all those since the SoCon already talked about them.

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

Article out of Chattanooga with comments from UTC AD who says SoCon will "likely" stay at 10 schools for a while.Link at http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... 10-schools

Author:  accseahawk [ Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

Well if the decide to go to the 9/12 format I would look at UNCA and lipscomb.
UNCA UNCG Furman Wofford The Citadel Mercer
Lipscomb Samford UTC ETSU WCU VMI

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

Article out of Marietta(previously posted in another thread)with comments from KSU AD who says his school will likely stay in the A-Sun for allsports now that the SoCon has recently added three new schools.Link at http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story_sp ... eft_column

Author:  jlog3000 [ Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

With VMI and East Tennessee State coming back from the Big South and A-Sun respectively, and Mercer joining along the way; but losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt, and Elon to the CAA in 2014 (after losing the College of Charleston to the CAA for this season), will the SoCon plan to have division play?

Author:  fighting muskie [ Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
With VMI and East Tennessee State coming back from the Big South and A-Sun respectively, and Mercer joining along the way; but losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt, and Elon to the CAA in 2014 (after losing the College of Charleston to the CAA for this season), will the SoCon plan to have division play?


They have downsized to 10 members so their is no need for divisional play. They can do double round robin in basketball and with 9 football programs they can continue to play every member of the conference. If they were going to 12 members or were going to add 3 football affiliates they would have done it already.

Author:  jlog3000 [ Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

fighting muskie wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
With VMI and East Tennessee State coming back from the Big South and A-Sun respectively, and Mercer joining along the way; but losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt, and Elon to the CAA in 2014 (after losing the College of Charleston to the CAA for this season), will the SoCon plan to have division play?


They have downsized to 10 members so their is no need for divisional play. They can do double round robin in basketball and with 9 football programs they can continue to play every member of the conference. If they were going to 12 members or were going to add 3 football affiliates they would have done it already.


So 12 is the "magic number" of a minimum requirement for a conference to have division play (on any sport)? What happened to the old days? I saw some conferences with 10 full members who used division play in the past. And they currently downsized to 11, as of 2013, they'll be 10 in 2014. But I still see your point.

Author:  The Bishin Cutter [ Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SoCon Realignment

AFA lacrosse looking more like an independent this upcoming season, as SoCon/A-Sun, Big East, and the Patriot aren't returning calls.

Page 15 of 16 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/