NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:29 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: SoCon Expansion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=the-socon-welcomes-samford-and-talks-abo&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

as a uncw fan, i would love a trade of coc for ga. st.

Post subject: SoCon Expansion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:45 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Sorry hawk, CofC turned down the CAA a few years ago due to travel concerns. I can't blame them. The SoCon makes more sense.

Worst of all was that UNCW had for years clamored about wanting another southern school once ECU left and the league expanded north with Delaware, Towson, Drexel and Hofstra. UNCW led the conference and kept the league int he public eye with it's great runs under Wainwright. So the CAA decides to expand since schoosl like UNCW were troubled about the new footprint. The result: The CAA puts low money I-AA (FBS now) football first and brings in a lower tiered Northeastern program from far away Boston. And the UNCW bone to be thrown: not CofC (which UNCW wanted) and not UNCA or even UNCG. Instead, it was Georgia St in Atlanta...420 miles away. Meanwhile existing members W&M and Old Dominion are only 200 to 220 miles away.

Sad that UNCW got treated the way they did soley because they have no football. Now, the CAA went from one of the most travel conscious conferences to one of the worst, adding some of the least supported schools in Boston and Atlanta and stretching the footprint to far with such additions.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Post subject: Re: SoCon Expansion
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

With Chattanooga's academic woes making the news, who would the SoCon take if UTC was stripped of D-1 membership?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:05 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Still a long way from that. But Coastal Carolina is always an option in the footprint...with football.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Still a long way from that. But Coastal Carolina is always an option in the footprint...with football.

I think UTC has two years to improve their academics, but I don't really see the NCAA bringing the hammer down like that, especially since there are some of the bigger schools affected. However, Coastal doesn't seem like a bad option, I don't really see them picking any more OVC schools. East Tennessee State could also be an option should they reinstate their football program.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Has the NCAA ever stripped a college of Division I membership as punishment for academic problems? I've heard of a loss of scholarships or a postseason ban, but I've never heard of that.

"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello from the 1977 album My Aim Is True.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:04 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

nomorespinsports wrote:
Has the NCAA ever stripped a college of Division I membership as punishment for academic problems? I've heard of a loss of scholarships or a postseason ban, but I've never heard of that.

Not that I know of, just "Death Penalties".

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mississippi College went from D-II to D-III in the 90's after their probation by the NCAA I don't know if they had to move down, my guess is the school chose to.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:14 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Georgia State to the SoCon might only be temporary - if Georgia State, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian State all move up to FBS, that could leave a gaping hole in the conference footprint. If I were the SoCon, I'd want to make sure Georgia State is staying for a while.

The CAA also has more schools that would be capable of moving to the Bowl Subdivision-as long as that's in Georgia State's plans, I wouldn't see any value in moving to the SoCon, unless if five other schools are coming along for the ride.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SoCon & CAA schools that could go FBS
James Madison
Old Dominion
Georgia St.
Georgia Southern
Appalachian St.

Others in the area
Jacksonville St.
Charlotte

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Do you really think Georgia State actually wants an eventual move up to the FBS? I think that is more of a pipe dream than anything else. The university simply does not have the money or alumni base to run a respectable FBS program. That could change, but I don't see that happening at any point shorter than 20 years. It's not like the situation at Texas-San Antonio or South Alabama, who both have plans (whether definite or speculative) at moving up to the FBS level.

"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello from the 1977 album My Aim Is True.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:01 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

wbyeager wrote:
Georgia State to the SoCon might only be temporary - if Georgia State, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian State all move up to FBS, that could leave a gaping hole in the conference footprint. If I were the SoCon, I'd want to make sure Georgia State is staying for a while.

The CAA also has more schools that would be capable of moving to the Bowl Subdivision-as long as that's in Georgia State's plans, I wouldn't see any value in moving to the SoCon, unless if five other schools are coming along for the ride.

Georgia St. will be a member of CAA Football in a couple years. So why would they even consider the SoCon? They are in a better conference now from a football and basketball perspective. If they want to upgrade, so be it. good for them. But while they are FCS, the CAA is the best of the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Remember Quinn is a UMass fan. But he's right Richmond,Delaware,UMass,UNH,Villanova, & JMU are usually top 25 schools. The only way I'd see Ga St. in the Socon is if they didn't want all of those long road trips. Socon schools are much closer.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:55 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I'm assuming you mean Georgia State going to the Southern conference as an all-sports member. I really don't see it. The CAA is a better conference in football (not by a vast margin, but still an important difference) and basketball (I'd say the CAA is a top 15 conference, the SoCon is somewhere in the lower 20s). On the whole, I don't see the logic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This came up on another thread but fits in here.
SoCon member Georgia Southern has recently released a feasibility study regarding whether or not to move up to FBS status.The report apparently recommended against an upgrade at this time.Here is link to FCS MB thread discussing this story at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/s ... hp?t=61752

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next