Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Overload!!

Naturally, I HAVE to comment on the Big Sky issue. You need two specific schools to drop out to get that plan accepted. It won't happen; certain schools don't want THAT much more travel.

The Big Sky already had a chance at Denver, but Denver doesn't fit (and the feeling is probably mutual).

There WAS a hockey arena in Bozeman, seated 3,500, hosted the North American Hockey League Icedogs (not to be confused with the Fairbanks Ice Dogs in the same league). For whatever reason, the original builders of the arena bailed, the inheriting owners never made money on the place, so now it's been sold to a beverage distributor to be converted to a cold storage facility. So much for hockey aspirations... though I should note that there's been talk for a long time of a suitable hockey arena in Missoula. The key word is "talk' when assessing this. Hockey arenas have a lot of costs that don't make them profitable unless you can fill at least 6,000 seats a night.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:51 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

The Big Sky already had a chance at Denver, but Denver doesn't fit (and the feeling is probably mutual).
Two years ago, Denver thought it might have better opportunities than the Sky. I believe the Belt is tiring of DU in that conference but wants DU to have a smooth landing elsewhere. DU may have to choose the best available offer.

Quote:
There WAS a hockey arena in Bozeman, seated 3,500, hosted the North American Hockey League Icedogs (not to be confused with the Fairbanks Ice Dogs in the same league). For whatever reason, the original builders of the arena bailed, the inheriting owners never made money on the place, so now it's been sold to a beverage distributor to be converted to a cold storage facility. So much for hockey aspirations... though I should note that there's been talk for a long time of a suitable hockey arena in Missoula. The key word is "talk' when assessing this. Hockey arenas have a lot of costs that don't make them profitable unless you can fill at least 6,000 seats a night.

The Bozeman Icedogs will play next year in the Northern Pacific (Nor Pac) league. Their website is still functional and the hockey arena doesn't appear to be converted into cold storage.

http://www.bozemanicedogs.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

to clarify a few points -
the Mid-Con provides management for the Great West 1-AA FB Conference out of its office, just as the MVC provides management for both the Gateway 1-AA FB Conference and the Pioneer (non-scholarship) FB Conference.

Why doesn't the Mid-Con absorb the Great West as the "Mid-Con FB Conference", and why doesn't the MVC absorb the Gateway as the "MVC FB Conference" ?

There are a few reasons relating to the politics of treating the non-Mid-Con and non-MVC teams as equals, but I believe the
NCAA has a rule that prohibits a school such as WIU from being a member of another 1-AA league, if the Mid-Con sponsors 1-AA football. I could be in error, but I cannot find a school that is a counter-example.

I was NOT suggesting that the Mid-Con would want to boot WIU. No way - they are a solid member right now and not geographically undesirable like perhaps Centenary and Southern Utah. I agree the MVC probably has little interest in Westerrn Illinois. The MVC is a fairly elite 1-AA conference and seems to focus on medium size D-1 schools in rather urban areas. WIU doesn't meet that criteria. Western Kentucky apparently doesn't either. If the MVC were to expand, they would invite St. Louis in a heartbeat, and perhaps UMKC, Oral Roberts, or Denver may get consideration.

With regard to the Big Sky, Denver might be a decent long-term fit, but I think they have been rejected for the time being, because the Big Sky is currently all-sports, and once you invite a non-FB team, how do you get rid of them (or force them to adopt football) down the road ? The Big Sky (looking 10 years forward) may not be entirely in control of its own destiny.... they may get cherry-picked by the WAC, should the WAC lose teams to the MWC. At that point, the Big Sky may wish to add several all-sports teams (perhaps going to 12 or so). At that point, what do you do with a non-football school like Denver ? So they are inclined to sit tight for the time being. There is no pressure on the Big Sky to act now.

Perhaps once the MWC and WAC expand to where they are saturated, the Big Sky can solidify their long-term plans, and expand without having to worry about current members looking to move up and out.

Denver is currently a geographical mis-fit in the Sun-Belt, as is La Tech in the WAC. La Tech wanted no part of the Sun-Belt, they seem to be hoping for C-USA (UTEP got the call when TCU left), perhaps a slot or two will open up if UTEP gets invited to teh MWC or some CUSA-East teams join the Big East after a rumored split. The Sun-Belt certainly would like to be rid of Denver. But they don't seem to have a mechanism for booting them out, and nobody is beating down Denver's door extending invitations. The Mid-Con would likely take them, but Denver is "too good" for that. Because they don't play football, the MWC, WAC, Big Sky are currently not interested. So Denver seems to be stuck in the Sun-Belt, unless they can somehow entice the MVC to expand...
I can't figure out where they ideally picture themselves landing...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:

Two years ago, Denver thought it might have better opportunities than the Sky. I believe the Belt is tiring of DU in that conference but wants DU to have a smooth landing elsewhere. DU may have to choose the best available offer.

Quote:

The Bozeman Icedogs will play next year in the Northern Pacific (Nor Pac) league. Their website is still functional and the hockey arena doesn't appear to be converted into cold storage.

http://www.bozemanicedogs.com/

http://www.usacollegehockey.com/cgi-bin/UBBCGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000847

Since the purchase of the facility was just made (which caused the folding of the indoor football team playing there), there hasn't been enough time to convert the place. However, the sale is public knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:05 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I'd look at Denver to the WCC as a more likely senario than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If Denver to the WCC is more likely than anything else, then Denver is REALLY in a rut.

The WCC has neither the desire nor the need to expand.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Since Star2City or any other poster who posts about NDSU or SDSU hasn't announced it yet, I thought I would:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2494970

Apparrently, U South Dakota is also now beginning to study its conference options, which could include the D I issue as well:

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=3223

Who will be the next NCC school to move up? Place your bets. SCSU? USD? MSU-Mankato? UNO? UMD?

I know what SportsKC said, but I'm going to ignore what he said, and go out on a limb on this one:
South Dakota and UNO will be the NCC schools to move up. I don't know about the Minnesota schools, but I feel confident about USD and UNO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

The way it looks now, if the BSC ever needs a Dakota school they may only have one choice. Of course they could eventually add USD as well. Then they could wonder how is it they ended up with Und and USD and flights into Fargo and Sioux Falls? Its likely the time has passed for any Dakota schools in the BSC unless they are desperate. I have no idea where these schools now considering moving up (3 or 4 from the old NCC) are going to go? Good luck and keep your fingers crossed for the Great Land Grants and the Mid Con!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:54 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

UND and USD sound like the now logical step here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:16 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=2835

Media blog says USD move up a slam dunk, no study needed.