NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

They don't have it because they don't need it at this time. They're all in CAAF, one of FCS' best divisions. And, I think they get to avoid the subject until something really hurts that conference to force the northern CAAF members to talk about their options. A lot has happened in AE, and many schools have left it, but it's still a hybrid conference, and the politics may still hold up the subject.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Here is an interesting article ( http://www.college-sports-journal.com/i ... erica-east ) that highlighted the power of existing AE members regarding addition of members to the conference. It only takes 3 of 9 members to block any proposition to add a new member. So this explains why AE could not expand to 10 members and why football could not be added as a conference sport.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The America East/CAA relationship is such a weird one. The CAA has grabbed a bunch of schools from them over the years: Delaware, Towson, Drexel, Hoftra, and Northeastern. Grabbing those schools was supposed to build the CAA into a football sponsoring all sports league with a few affiliates. They evidently grabbed the wrong schools to make that plan work and here they stand now both leagues are very much the same hybrid leagues they were before. CAA's basketball schools (including Northeastern and Hofstra) blocking their America East football neighbors and America East's basketball schools blocking even the consideration of America East football.

It's too bad the league's can't agree to swap some members to level things out. Drexel, Hofstra, and Northeastern for Albany, Stony Brook, New Hampshire, and Maine.

The moral of the story is that hybrids are evil. Schools who are committed to football should not tether themselves to those who are not. Certainly the destruction of the old Big East has taught us that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

eastsidefan wrote:
Here is an interesting article ( http://www.college-sports-journal.com/i ... erica-east" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) that highlighted the power of existing AE members regarding addition of members to the conference. It only takes 3 of 9 members to block any proposition to add a new member. So this explains why AE could not expand to 10 members and why football could not be added as a conference sport.

I doubt Lowell stands against the idea of football. UMBC not quite as sure. But, I think the taste of Boston will linger on with those other schools moving forward, and if the non-fb schools see themselves severed from the others, thank whatever philosophy those schools bought into.

I think the right conditions have to be met for sponsorship to surface, and it's just unlikely. Stony WILL likely leave in a few years, probably for FBS, certain CAA/F members don't peel off for FBS or PLF...CAA will get Albany and maybe UNH, which clobbers AE for good. Internally, if Hartford can't be turned or find a home in MAAC or the NEC, that roadblock remains. But, with the likes of Monmouth and other NEC'ers out there who either want into AE or tap into better FCS perks, and CAA politics, the unrest of the northeast is alive and well. There's a door...does it open?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
eastsidefan wrote:
Here is an interesting article ( http://www.college-sports-journal.com/i ... erica-east" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) that highlighted the power of existing AE members regarding addition of members to the conference. It only takes 3 of 9 members to block any proposition to add a new member. So this explains why AE could not expand to 10 members and why football could not be added as a conference sport.

I doubt Lowell stands against the idea of football. UMBC not quite as sure. But, I think the taste of Boston will linger on with those other schools moving forward, and if the non-fb schools see themselves severed from the others, thank whatever philosophy those schools bought into.

I think the right conditions have to be met for sponsorship to surface, and it's just unlikely. Stony WILL likely leave in a few years, probably for FBS, certain CAA/F members don't peel off for FBS or PLF...CAA will get Albany and maybe UNH, which clobbers AE for good. Internally, if Hartford can't be turned or find a home in MAAC or the NEC, that roadblock remains. But, with the likes of Monmouth and other NEC'ers out there who either want into AE or tap into better FCS perks, and CAA politics, the unrest of the northeast is alive and well. There's a door...does it open?

Where in FBS are you predicting that Stony Brook will go? The MAC as a full member? It's too bad a group of Northeastern schools couldn't all come up to FBS together. JMU, Liberty, and Delaware could all be a part of that.

It's too bad that the schools who are blocking America East football couldn't just be traded to non-football leagues so that football sponsorship could get underway. Hartford to the MAAC for Monmouth seems like a fair trade. Vermont could be kept due to their historic rivalries with the rest of the New England schools but Binghampton, UMass-Lowell, and UMBC belong in the NEC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Where in FBS are you predicting that Stony Brook will go? The MAC as a full member? It's too bad a group of Northeastern schools couldn't all come up to FBS together. JMU, Liberty, and Delaware could all be a part of that.

It's too bad that the schools who are blocking America East football couldn't just be traded to non-football leagues so that football sponsorship could get underway. Hartford to the MAAC for Monmouth seems like a fair trade. Vermont could be kept due to their historic rivalries with the rest of the New England schools but Binghampton, UMass-Lowell, and UMBC belong in the NEC

When news of Stony's new fundraising campaign broke, the chatter went to the MAC. No idea about the timeline to push for FBS. SBU's own campaign (Seawolves United) is kind of like a sports version of Buffalo's UB2020 campaign, including the 2020 target date for its funding mark. I don't know how that's structured: first monies go to venue readiness, later monies toward funding infrastructure (scholarships, training facilities, salaries, CoA, etc.)?

As for a conference move-up, I don't see it happening. Not just finding the right numbers, but finding the right institutional types who want to move together. You mention Liberty, and, just like those in SoCon, and SBC, you have a bunch, maybe all, in CAA/F who don't want to work with them, even if for a common goal.

As for AE football, I don't see Binghamton "pissing off" Albany and Stony to block football if it ever came to it. Those guys kind of remind me of the public Virginia schools...they like working together, look out for one another, and know that one in one place and one in another doesn't bode well for enrollment and other political issues. Personally, if the door opens for Stony Brook to enter into FBS, don't be surprised if Albany tries to punch through for it down the line, too. SUNY doesn't have one designated flagship, but the cluster of Buffalo, Albany, Stony Brook, and Binghamton are seen as the unofficial ones. America East isn't a lot unlike MAC, spare for Hartford. Some flagships and state system schools with varying degrees of academic prestige...I tend to think that even Vermont could be talked off the football blocking ledge, choosing to support its peer public school members with the sport. Then again, I've kind of thought Vermont was a flight risk for other conferences...until this Albany and Stony Brook stuff. For AE, those are two you don't want to see leave.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

When news of Stony's new fundraising campaign broke, the chatter went to the MAC. No idea about the timeline to push for FBS. SBU's own campaign (Seawolves United) is kind of like a sports version of Buffalo's UB2020 campaign, including the 2020 target date for its funding mark. I don't know how that's structured: first monies go to venue readiness, later monies toward funding infrastructure (scholarships, training facilities, salaries, CoA, etc.)?

As for a conference move-up, I don't see it happening. Not just finding the right numbers, but finding the right institutional types who want to move together. You mention Liberty, and, just like those in SoCon, and SBC, you have a bunch, maybe all, in CAA/F who don't want to work with them, even if for a common goal.

As for AE football, I don't see Binghamton "pissing off" Albany and Stony to block football if it ever came to it. Those guys kind of remind me of the public Virginia schools...they like working together, look out for one another, and know that one in one place and one in another doesn't bode well for enrollment and other political issues. Personally, if the door opens for Stony Brook to enter into FBS, don't be surprised if Albany tries to punch through for it down the line, too. SUNY doesn't have one designated flagship, but the cluster of Buffalo, Albany, Stony Brook, and Binghamton are seen as the unofficial ones. America East isn't a lot unlike MAC, spare for Hartford. Some flagships and state system schools with varying degrees of academic prestige...I tend to think that even Vermont could be talked off the football blocking ledge, choosing to support its peer public school members with the sport. Then again, I've kind of thought Vermont was a flight risk for other conferences...until this Albany and Stony Brook stuff. For AE, those are two you don't want to see leave.

The way I see it, after reading your comments, is that Vermont (in support of New Hampshire & Maine) and Binghampton (in support of Albany & Stony Brook) might be persuaded to vote in block with the 4 football schools to make expansion moves towards the direction of football. The schools that would be opposed would be UMass Lowell, Hartford, & UMBC. To me it would make sense for those two schools I mentioned to vote for football because doing so would keep them with their historic rivals.

To me it seems it would be logical to add 3 full members to get to 12 and then add whatever fb affiliates they can. My first move would be to approach Delaware, Towson, and Villanova (fb only) if they are interested in the plan. If they aren't then all is not lost. Central Connecticut St and Monmouth would easily do. I'm just going to assume Rhode Island will say yes to football affiliate membership. If they are able to pull a full member(s) from CAA then perhaps CAA could take disgruntled Hartford to help fill in its northern wing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I have a tough time seeing Lowell voting the same way as the school who probably blocked them for potential membership over the years. UMBC I could see, though. Towson's growing down in those parts, and maybe UMD will, too, because of the Big Ten distinction.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:18 am 
Senior
Senior

Is the America East considering expansion?
Would NJIT and its new $102 million events center be a viable candidate?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8