Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gateway expansion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:08 am 
Junior
Junior

http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/377335646653240.php

Quote:
Strollo said that the Gateway Conference is looking very seriously into expansion in the near future, but it will be very selective.

Finding the right institution will be the key.

"It would be nice [to expand] and it certainly would help out our scheduling problems," Strollo said.

But with who?

I think we can assume that WKU is going to go DI-A in the near future into the Sub Belt with hopes of getting into the MAC.

YSU would go if they could get into the MAC, but otherwise I think they'd stay Gateway/Horizon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:51 am 
Senior
Senior

North Dakota and South Dakota State. The Great Land Grants will leave the GWFC and join the Gateway maybe as soon as 2008, at least thats what they are talking about in Fargo. Try www.bisonville.com. There is a thread or 2 over there on this subject.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:42 am 
Freshman
Freshman

They have another 100-200 threads regarding the University of North Dakota. They can't seem to stopping talking about UND.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

Why would you mention them?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:54 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=2196&highlight=dakota

more talk about Gateway expansion including the Dakota Land Grants.

Last edited by 11jbb11 on Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

Anybody know when WKU is going to make the announcement? I hear November.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Yesterday I read an article that claimed that WKU has a board meeting on November 2, at which time they will "rubber-stamp" their decision to move to Div. 1-A football.

The article went on to say that they would inform the Gateway that the current (2006) football season would be their last. I assume there is no exit fee. The wheels have been greased for WKU to begin FB play in the Sun-Belt as FB team #9 next season. NCAA rules require that their first two seasons after a move-up constitute a "probationary period", so that would be the 2007 and 2008 seasons. WKU would then be a full championship-eligible, bowl-eligible team in 2009.

Speculation then continues that the Mid-America Conference would like to have WKU and Middle Tennessee come aboard for all sports, as members of the MAC West (Toledo might then move to the MAC East to join the other Ohio teams). That'd be down the road a bit.

As for the Gateway, they'll be down to 7 teams (5 MVC, Western Illinois from the Mid-Con, and Youngstown State from the Horizon), following the departure of WKU.

Indeed the Dakota Land Grants would be top expansion candidates, but it would likely destroy the current 5-member Great West. The Great West (and their sponsor the Mid-Con) are eyeing North Dakota and South Dakota, who recently have decided to move up to 1-AA to join NDSU and SDSU. The Great West would likely welcome them with open arms as football teams #6 and #7. It is less clear whether the Mid-Con is excited about expanding to 12, and admitting them for all other sports.

If the 4 Dakota schools all wind up together in the Great West (not to mention the Mid-Con), would there be any legislative pressure to prevent the land grants NDSU and SDSU from jumping to the Gateway and "abandoning" UND and USD ?

Or would the Gateway go to 12, absorbing NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Southern Utah (all from the Mid-Con) ? This would dissolve the Great West and leave the West Coast schools UC-Davis and Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo (SLO) to fend for themselves....

Stay tuned.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:38 am 
Junior
Junior

I think the Big Sky is going to take SUU. They need a 10th for bball and SUU is relatively close to Las Vegas and NAU.

I think there is no doubt the Gateway is going to lose WKU.

I also think that once WKU leaves, YSU is left out on an island. I know YSU would also love to be in the MAC with the other Ohio schools (esp. Kent and Akron). Not saying YSU is going to leave, just that they would love to be in the MAC.

I think NDSU and SDSU would be in the Gateway long before UND and USD even make it up to DI-AA. I'm not sure if the Gateway would also take UND and USD. That'd be an intersting scenario. Basically it'd be like the better half of the old NCC with the dakotas and UNI.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:13 pm 
Junior
Junior

Isnt UND moving to D1 next year? Why would the dakotas be in the gateway long before UND and USD even make it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

Its been reported over on bisonville.com that the Gateway requested institutional profiles from both NDSU and SDSU today! Thats the first step.

Both the Dakota Land Grants would probably go, leaving the GWFC. The NDSU AD and Head Football Coach said the auto-bid was the most important thing and they didnt want to wait for the GWFC to get one. It would take 6-10 yrs to become eligable.

Its likely then that Dakota Universities would follow, maybe even entering the GWFC next year. If that would be enough leverage to get them into the Mid Con, I dont know. Any reasonable speculation has potential, but the best thing for them, down the line at least, would be the Gateway with the others and the Mid Con. It would be a rebirth of the old NCC in a lot of ways.

I dont think the State would get involved in directing the athletic affairs of either school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:22 am 
Junior
Junior

If all goes according to plan, 2007 will be the last year UND is DII.

The 4 seasons after that they'll be transitional DI-AA.

NDSU and SDSU already have GWFC schedules set for 2007, but could be in the Gateway in 2008.

I could see UND and USD in the GWFC in 2008, replacing NDSU and SDSU's spots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

Thats the way I see it too, if the Great Land Grants arent in the Gateway next season. They have no exit penalty from the GWFC.

Heres a link confirming the Gateway request:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/SPORTS0202/610260342/1002/SPORTS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:05 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If NDSU and SDSU go to the Gateway, my money's on the Great West just simply going away. If the Big Sky took the three remaining Great West schools as football only members, then that would clean out the Great West. UND and USD could follow NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway-that would give the Gateway 11 schools, but that's not that big of a deal at the Playoff Subdivision (I-AA) level.

An 8-game schedule and 2 no-plays would allow schools to rotate whether they play 2 or 4 of the Dakota schools each year-schools like Northern Iowa could play all 4 Dakota schools while Indiana State and Youngstown State would only play two of them each year (the Dakota schools obivously would have three games against each other).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Gateway could expand to 11 but they have never had more than 9 and the commissioner said 9 was the perfect number. They like 8 in conference and 3 out of conference games. It allows for a DI-A, a money making home game with a D2, and another date to be used wisely. Its a nice arraignment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:45 pm 
Junior
Junior

The Big Sky may take SUU in all sports, but would take the cali schools for football only and they wouldnt leave the big west for other sports although UC Davis will eventually move to 1-a.
The Great West will dissolve as soon as the dakotas leave.