Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gateway expansion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:03 pm 
Junior
Junior

jbb, you're ignoring 2 things.

1, probable 12 game schedule for I-AA

2, even if the Gateway had 11 teams, that doesn't mean you must play 10 conference games.

You can still play 8 conference games and 3 or 4 non conference.

It would mean less travel for the 2 regional areas of schools. IE, Youngstown wouldn't need to go over to the western part 4 times a year and NDSU wouldn't have to go over to the eastern part 4 times a year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

I agree on the 12th game, but what do you do about the auto bid if all teams in the conference dont play every year? Seems unlikely to me. The 12th game might open up another spot though since there would still be 3 OOC games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:03 pm 
Junior
Junior

What does the A10 do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

What the A10 does for football is about to be irrelevant since the football league will operate under the CAA banner next year. I belive they do divisional play, but they don't have a championship game.

The Big 10 does fine with 11 (8 games and 2 no plays). The final tiebreaker is the school whose last Rose Bowl appearance was the earliest. Northwestern actually made it to the Rose Bowl using this tiebreaker.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:53 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't think the Gateway is going to add any more than two Dakota schools. First, the two Dakota U's aren't going to be through their transition until 2013 or so. Second, the two Dakota U's don't have a conference for their other sports so they'd end up bolting the Gateway as soon as they got an invite to an all-sports conference (Big Sky or a new DI conference). Third, I'm just not seeing compelling reasons for the Gateway to add four teams at once. Then again, maybe Gateway members like the idea of becoming a Dakota-centric conference.

Now if USD and UND get invitations to the Mid-Con, that changes everything, but then NDSU and SDSU would probably stick with the Great West.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 pm 
Junior
Junior

I think the Dakota U's will probably end up in the mid con. Maybe be in the great west for awhile, until they get an invite to the gateway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
I think the Dakota U's will probably end up in the mid con. Maybe be in the great west for awhile, until they get an invite to the gateway.

If the Dakota U's end up in the Mid Con, then they could end up in the Gateway, but the Mid Con thing has to happen first. And before the Mid Con thing happens, the Dakota U's have to actually go Division I instead of merely talking about it.

Last edited by bisondefender on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:41 pm 
Junior
Junior

It is official that UND is going to d1, isnt it? I thought USD was going to make an announcment pretty soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:48 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
It is official that UND is going to d1, isnt it? I thought USD was going to make an announcment pretty soon.

Yes, it is official that North Daktoa is going DI. Their last year of DII is 2007-08. I am 99% certain that South Daktoa will move to DI at the same time. The consultant that USD hired recommended this week that they move to DI.

Northern Iowa's athletic director had this to say about Gateway expansion in today's Fargo Forum

Quote:
It appears the Gateway is not considering any other schools besides NDSU and SDSU, although Hartzell mentioned the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota when asked about expansion.

“That set of four would be attractive,” he said. “But we don’t have to expand, either.”

Personally, I think the most realistic scenario is that UND and USD will be in the GWFC in 2008, and probably the Mid-Con by 2010 or 2011. Perhaps they will parlay that into Gateway membership at some point down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

Funny how things change. A year or so ago und wouldnt even have considered an invite to the GWFC or the Mid Con. Their fans trashed both conferences for any number of reasons.

Nothing is going to happen because you show up in DI. A conference has to have a pressing need. The GWFC is too small. Membership there is a foregone conclusion if attitudes in grand forks have changed.

The Mid Con is not going to expand unless somebody leaves and when they do it will be a school that adds to the travel convenience of existing member(s) and a school that is at the end of the transition.

There is just no incentive for existing members to split up the pie and make the auto bid more difficult to get unless they have too. Then they will add as few schools as they can to feel secure. The BSC added 1, the Mid Con added 2. Any guess at when a new school might be invited is just a guess at when an existing conference member is going to leave.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:26 pm 
Junior
Junior

SUU could leave as soon as this year if the Big Sky expansion takes them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:27 pm 
Junior
Junior

I doubt the big sky would do anything to break up the great west at this point, they help with regional scheduling. But if the gwfc does ever break up, Im sure SUU would go to the big sky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:02 pm 
Junior
Junior

It wouldn't hurt scheduling.

The GWFC schools would still be scheduling Big Sky teams.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SUU would go to the Big Sky in a heartbeat. It's a secure home for all their sports, with decent long-term stability, and it's out west.

SUU doesn't get to make the call. The Big SKy will make the decision about whom and when to invite.

I can't believe the Big Sky is overly sympathetic to the GWFC and their long term well-being.
Let's recall that the Big Sky's most recent expansion involved grabbing Northern Colorado from the Mid-Con, reducing GWFC membership from 6 to 5 (6 being the size at which a school can eventually qualify for an auto-bid).

If the Big Sky does decide to expand further, it would appear they will go looking for a school that has the right geographical attributes and has a 1-AA football program - that would seem to limit the candidates to SUU, UC Davis, or Cal Poly- SLO. I'm assuming NDSU and SDSU find happiness in the Mid-Con and soon move their football programs to the Gateway. If UC Davis and Cal-Poly enjoy the closeness of the Big West, they may only seek some type of football affiliation or scheduling alliance with the Big Sky. That leaves SUU as the apparent most likely Big SKy #10 candidate.

Long term, I see SUU and Centenary leaving the Mid-Con and replaced by North Dakota and South Dakota.

I see Youngstown State looking for a more convenient eastern football home in 1-AA or even 1-A. The Gateway will end up with its current 5 MVC members and 5 Mid-Con members (Western Illinois (current), NDSU (soon ?), SDSU (soon ?), North Dakota U, and South Dakota U). A numer of forces are pulling in this direction.

What we don't have yet is impetus for Big Sky expansion (SUU moving), a home for Centenary (could happen if the Sun-Belt somehow jettisons its non-Football teams), and a new home for Youngstown State FB (what if American East adopts 1-AA FB, and takes in a number of Colonial Conference refugees ?)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Mid Con has put a $500,000 early departure penalty on NDSU and SDSU. We cant leave for 8 yrs.

You might be right about the eventual alignment, but why again will the Big Sky make a move? I doubt, from what their commisioner has said, that they intend to expand. He has stated that somebody will have to leave.

Its also not clear where Centenuray would go? They have been unable to get anybody interested. Of course they might just drop to D2 but I doubt it.

Its more likely the Mid Con will expand to provide SUU with a travel partner.

The Gateway senario has a long way to go too. First the XDSUs have to get the invite. Secondly other teams will have to leave.

But, its a nice tidy package its just not very likely any time soon. It lacks the catalyst event. For the XDSUs that was Valpo and Chicago State leaving the Mid Con and WKU leaving the Gateway.