NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Big West realignment
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BW MB thread discussing report(see above post)that UCSD will be announced as new Big West member tomorrow at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest ... 21471.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Kern County reporting that Big West has announced they are adding both UCSD and Cal Bakersfield at http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/cs ... /865795356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:23 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

UC San Diego makes it official: It's joining Div. I, Big West
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BW MB thread discussing addition of CSUB and UCSD at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest ... 21478.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

We’ve all seen this coming for years. Glad it’s finally happening, now the only question is who they’ll add for number 12, or if they’ll encourage Hawaii to find a new home.

Obviously they are keeping the UC/Cal State split by adding both UCSD and CSUB so if they expand again it’ll likely be outside of these two systems unless they lose Hawaii and go to 12 (which won’t be anytime soon).

But just for shts and grins here are the remaining UC/CS schools outside of the Big West and not in a FBS conference just for reference:

Only remaining UC schools not in Big West (or PAC12)
UC Santa Cruz is DIII independent
UC Merced is NAIA in the CPC

Only remaining Cal State schools not in Big West (or MWC)
Sacramento State is DI FCS in the Big Sky (rumored to be unable to join due to agreement between Big Sky and Cal Poly/UC Davis)
Maritime is NAIA in the CPC
Chico, Humboldt, SF, Pomona, LA, Stanislaus, East Bay, Dominguez Hills, Sonoma, San Bernardino, San Marcos, and Monterey Bay are all DII the CCAA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
BW MB thread discussing addition of CSUB and UCSD at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest ... 21478.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's funny how slow news travels out west... sometimes.

You have these major conferences talking about going to 20 conference games... and these Big West fans are grousing about the possible reduction of RPIs when, frankly, there's going to be less big schools to schedule anyway.

OTOH, it is an interesting discussion about the Big West and the "marquee sports" (and let this volleyball/soccer/baseball talk sink in for a while). Who'd ever think such a thing... until you go to Harder or Spanos to see full stands (seriously) for that UCSB-Cal Poly soccer rivalry. It's funny how things like that have taken hold, not to mention the Dirtbags and the like.

Post subject: Re: Big West Realignment
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Over the last 10 years the dichotomy of the P5 "big boys" and the rest of D-1 has become REALLY pronounced.

The smaller conferences have to realize their budget limitations will be such that they aren't set up to compete in the 'revenue sports" of FBS FB and men's BB with the P5 schools. A few schools (Gonzaga, Big East, AAC, A-10 might have brief flirtations with greatness in basketball, but it's TOUGH !)

For conferences like the Big West, I applaud them embracing Olympic sports that they are really good at. Focus on that !

And don't be snobs about adding other LOCAL schools, since travel can really eat up a huge chunk of a smaller school's athletics budget, and the kids who play Olympic sports are much more likely to be ACTUAL STUDENTS who need to have time to devote to ACTUAL ACADEMIC PURSUITS.
UCSD and CSU-Bakersfield belong in the Big West, if they are going to play D-1 sports. (I few the WAC as too far-flung, and continually on life-support).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TKthunder wrote:
We’ve all seen this coming for years. Glad it’s finally happening, now the only question is who they’ll add for number 12, or if they’ll encourage Hawaii to find a new home.

They won't add a 12th, and they won't ask Hawai'i to leave.

You have to remember that Hawai'i is unique. They aren't viewed like Fullerton or Northridge or anyone else.

Hawai'i presents conference logistics that make the whole "12 team, travel partner" format tons of conferences have used irrelevant to the Big West.

Adding a 12th makes it HARDER to work around the Hawai'i distance factor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe they could add St. Bonaventure ! Just kidding, JP !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

As I read more informed opinion about this...

...this is the combination of cutting UC San Diego loose from the shackles and cost-cutting for the Cal-State system. Bako being in the WAC had to be rectified.

I also can’t get over another indicator further down the chain. Humboldt State was only a year removed from a D-2 playoff run, and the Cal State system decides Humboldt- the last state system school below D-1 with football- won’t get direct football funding anymore. I think that demonstrates the depth of the budget cutting going on in California. I’ll be curious to see if Humboldt’s program survives the next few years considering how recruiting was shut down during this season.

I also wonder if it’s a precursor to more cuts. I wonder if Cal Poly and Sacramento State fans shouldn’t be taking notice in regards to their football programs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Humboldt just reaffirmed that they will hang in there in FB (for now anyway)....

What about UC-Davis football ?
Are U of California campuses under intense budget pressure, too ?

In FBS - we have Cal & UCLA (U of California system), and San Jose State, Fresno State, and San Diego State (Cal State system). is their funding sacred ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Humboldt just reaffirmed that they will hang in there in FB (for now anyway)....

What about UC-Davis football ?
Are U of California campuses under intense budget pressure, too ?

In FBS - we have Cal & UCLA (U of California system), and San Jose State, Fresno State, and San Diego State (Cal State system). is their funding sacred ?

Davis has a relatively new football stadium. It’s also easily expanded to 30,000. They have resources to keep going. Will they want to make a move? That’s the key question.

Things aren’t really stable for the FBS State schools... except San Jose generally being comfortably numb. Fresno just had a cycle of budget cuts... but just made a wicked turnaround in football. San Diego State has probably helped shunt aside the MLS-run stadium plan for the old San Diego Stadium (aka Jack Murphy aka Qualcomm aka County Credit Union Whatever), but can they get their own stadium/satellite campus proposal through the wringer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18