NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Big West realignment
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Retraction time... Portland State can't afford to drop football before they build a new basketball arena... of course, the football program expense will make it just that much more difficult to get the arena project started. The Big West is simply not going to take them regardless... they are now a happy bus league, and BTW will be similarly happy to add CS Bakersfield to the fold (bank on that one).

I don't have the same cold unfuzzy about Sac State... but it wouldn't hurt them to jump start the football program sometime soon. Their new arena could be a major cash injection down the line, but if the football program's fortunes cause a delay in another part of the major facility project going on throughout campus, then we can talk. Moreover, if they are really shooting for the WAC, I doubt they can get there from the Great West. Looks like they'll stay Big Sky for the foreseeable future.

San Jose State- keep watching them. I still don't think they can keep their football program going... and their facility management arm will probably feel the pain of losing the Earthquakes.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:03 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

How about Southern Utah or any other institution from the California Collegiate Athletic Association or CCAA (upgrade from D-II)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the Big West doesn't want to go to Portland, they sure wouldn't want to go two states away to Utah. On the other hand, I'm sure they gladly slurp up any upgrades from Division II in the Golden State, as long as there's room in the conference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:32 pm 
Junior
Junior

Cal State Bakersfield will probably join in 2010. Dont count on sac state losing their football team or joining the great west, they want to join the wac. watch san jose state, if they are forced to lose 1-a status they will probably lose their football program and join the big west.

Post subject: Re: Big West realignment
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The possibility of Cal State Bakersfield joining the Big West was discussed on another thread and apparently was discussed here on this earlier thread.
CSUB is apparently in it's first year as a D-1 Independent and is playing a mostly Big West schedule.
I suspect that after they "pay their dues"they will likely get an invite.
So far,there is no evidence of a Big West invitation.I will continue to look.
Here is blog article in this regard at http://frdelrosario.livejournal.com/498298.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:04 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

There is talk that Cal St Fullerton wants to bring back football i wonder if other Big West schools will follow?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Collegebballfanatic wrote:
There is talk that Cal St Fullerton wants to bring back football i wonder if other Big West schools will follow?

Covered this here:
http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2009/ ... -west.html

Could be a trickle down effect. If Fullerton adds football, there would be 3 members with UC Davis and Cal Poly. The Big West could then pull rank and sponsor football, inviting SUU, UND and USD as affiliate members.

Sac St. might consider a move from the Big Sky to the Big West if the conference were to sponsor football. Got to think the Sac St. admins would prefer all-sports being in a California league rather than having to travel to Utah, Montana, Arizona, Idaho, Washington for all varsity sports.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Does the Big Sky share football playoff revenue, or is that even an issue with the FCS playoffs? I know going to a conference without an automatic bid for the basketball tournament is a virtual death wish, but would it be a dealbreaker in FCS football?

There's also that odd chance that the Big Sky could invite one or more football-playing members of the Great West Conference to replace Sacramento State, which would take the Big West football league below six schools.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

wbyeager wrote:
Does the Big Sky share football playoff revenue, or is that even an issue with the FCS playoffs? I know going to a conference without an automatic bid for the basketball tournament is a virtual death wish, but would it be a dealbreaker in FCS football?

There's also that odd chance that the Big Sky could invite one or more football-playing members of the Great West Conference to replace Sacramento State, which would take the Big West football league below six schools.

Actually, if (and a BIG if) Sac St. ever did leave the Big Sky for Big West...and the Big West sponsored football, the lineup would be:
Big West: Sac St, UC Davis, Cal Poly, Fullerton, *UND, *USD, *Southern Utah

That's 7 schools. So even if the Big sky replaced Sac St. with Southern Utah, the Big West would still be at 6.

The trickle down could still effect the Big West: If Sac St. left the Big sky, they might look to NDSU and/or SDSU to replace them. The MVC might then go after UND and/or USD.

So there are still many "what ifs". But who is to say the Big West wouldn't just go with the 4 schools, ala the ACC in lacrosse. Could happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Sacramento reporting that Big West member UCDavis will likely have to drop(up to 9?) some of it's 27 sports programs due to financial problems but should/could remain in D-1 and the Big West.Link at http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/12/260173 ... aggie.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Wow. That's not good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn,thanks for the post.
Followup on UC Davis story,apparently they will be cutting four of their 27 varsity sports.Link at http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14898854

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Followup on UC Davis program cuts.Other Cal schools are apparently also having some problems.Link at http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/30/271683 ... osing.html

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

What is the story with Cal State - Bakersfield ?
When do they complete their transition to D-1 ?
Do they have a pending application to join the Big West ?

It seems as though they've been hanging out there for some time....
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

tute79 wrote:
What is the story with Cal State - Bakersfield ?
When do they complete their transition to D-1 ?
Do they have a pending application to join the Big West ?

It seems as though they've been hanging out there for some time....
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CS-Bakersfield becomes a full NCAA Division I member when the upcoming 2010-11 academic year starts in the fall. They still want to be in the Big West, but I haven't heard anything new lately.

"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello from the 1977 album My Aim Is True.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next