NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:00 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big West realignment
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://www.ksby.com/news/report-cal-pol ... e-big-sky/

report that Cal Poly moving to Big Sky for Football only. Bummer for Bakersfield.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ACCSeahawk,thanks for the post.Unfortunately that source has NOTHING definite to report.

Latest "unconfirmed" reports have both Cal Poly and UC Davis joining the Big Sky as FB only members.We may have to wait for the official Big Sky release which I now anticipate will occur at about 2pm MT.There reportedly is a teleconference scheduled later today with the Big Sky Commish at 5pm MT.
Stay Tuned.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ACCSeahawk,thanks for your posts regarding the Cal-Poly/UCDavis to Big Sky story.
Here is official Big Sky release(previously posted in another thread) announcing that those two schools accepted Big Sky FB only invites last week with the apparent knowledge and support of the Big West Commish.Link at http://bigskyconf.com/news/2010/9/7/FB_0907100731.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the Big Sky showing their willingness to accept football affiliates, it now makes a ton of sense for Sacramento St to move their non football programs to the Big West. If the WAC collapses, San Jose St. would be wise to do the same and try to place their football program in the Big Sky, if they want to keep it at all. Add Cal State Bakersfield to get to 12.

An idea I have for the Big West is to run as a 13 team conference with Hawaii being the 13th school who alternates divisions every year. Hawaii subsidizes travel to in order to have a home for non football sports while play independent in football.

North
UC Davis
Pacific
San Jose St
Sacramento St
Cal Poly
Cal St. Bakersfield

South
UC Santa Barbara
Cal State Northridge
Cal State Fullerton
UC Riverside
Long Beach St.
UC Irvine

Rotating: Hawaii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:53 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

With ya 100% acc. Makes no sense for Sac St. to be in the Big Sky for other sports if they have an option. If they aren't upgrading to FBS/WAC, then they might as well cut their travel budget and move their sports (basketball) to the Big West which is likely a better overall conference. Both will be in the 13-16 seed each year, but the Big West seems to have trended a spot higher than the Big Sky this decade (could be wrong on that).

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

accseahawk wrote:
An idea I have for the Big West is to run as a 13 team conference with Hawaii being the 13th school who alternates divisions every year. Hawaii subsidizes travel to in order to have a home for non football sports while play independent in football.

North
UC Davis
Pacific
San Jose St
Sacramento St
Cal Poly
Cal St. Bakersfield

South
UC Santa Barbara
Cal State Northridge
Cal State Fullerton
UC Riverside
Long Beach St.
UC Irvine

Rotating: Hawaii

Or if the WCC would just add Seattle, Denver and Pacific for 12, then Hawaii slides in nicely with Pacific leaving. The divisions don't matter if Hawaii is paying a travel subsidy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Big West lifts their membership moratorium.

This would pave the way for Hawaii to go Indy in football.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack,thanks for the post.

Here is official Big West release regarding today's announcement that they are lifting their expansion moratorium at http://www.bigwest.org/assets/11_16_10_ ... elease.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Couple of WAC MB threads (previously posted in another thread) discussing possibility that Hawaii would/could put non-FB sports in Big West.Link at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=6687345

and at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=6691455

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Don't forget about Cal State Bakersfield (Independent) and Grand Canyon (Phoenix, AZ; Division II), as adding both of them alongside Hawaii would give them 12 schools.

North - UC-Davis, Pacific, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cal State Bakersfield, UC Santa Barbara, Cal State Northridge
South - Hawaii, Grand Canyon, Cal State Fullerton, UC-Riverside, UC-Irvine, Long Beach State

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

wbyeager wrote:
Don't forget about Cal State Bakersfield (Independent) and Grand Canyon (Phoenix, AZ; Division II), as adding both of them alongside Hawaii would give them 12 schools.

North - UC-Davis, Pacific, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cal State Bakersfield, UC Santa Barbara, Cal State Northridge
South - Hawaii, Grand Canyon, Cal State Fullerton, UC-Riverside, UC-Irvine, Long Beach State

Another school to consider is UC San Diego -- currently Division II, but recently hired a consultant to explore a move to Division I and the possibility of adding a football team. More info at

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/23/ucsd-looks-at-football-and-division-i-upgrade/.

(Note that the consultant's report was supposed to be submitted by the end of summer 2010, but I have not been able to find any discussion of it since April.)

Regards, Driver 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://www.bigwest.org/assets/11_16_10_ ... elease.pdf

big west has officially lifted their expansion moratorium....is Hawaii on deck??? I think it makes too much sense for Hawaii NOT to be in the Big West

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Driver 8 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Another school to consider is UC San Diego -- currently Division II, but recently hired a consultant to explore a move to Division I and the possibility of adding a football team. More info at

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/23/ucsd-looks-at-football-and-division-i-upgrade/.

(Note that the consultant's report was supposed to be submitted by the end of summer 2010, but I have not been able to find any discussion of it since April.)

Regards, Driver 8

I don't think Grand Canyon is as much of an option though. I think the moratorium lift ties in with Hawaii seeking a new conference for non-football sports. And they seem like the top of the list for #10.

But you're right, if Cal St. Bakersfield is in the mix (which they very much are for political reasons), then it's an awkward number of 11 schools.

But if the Big West did opt to bring in both Hawaii & Cal St. Bakersfield, and opted for a #12 school, I would think workign with the Big Sky again on Sac St. would be the #3 option. The Big Sky is at the awkward 11 schools right now since Montana opted to stay. We all know that the big Sky and big West had an agreement when Cal Poly and UC Davis joined for football. But if the Big Sky gave Sac St. it's blessing, things could change. And Sac St. to the Big West just makes sense at this point.

And if Sac St. were a stretch and is not interested, then Seattle would be #4 on the list, depending on what happens with the WAC.

It's a bit of a toss up on location: fly to Seattle or fly to PHX (although a few LA area schools might take the 7 hour bus ride).

IMHO:
1) Hawaii
2) CSUB
3) Sac St. from Big Sky
4) Seattle
5) GCU

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 am 
Senior
Senior

I would think Cal state Bakersfield would be the #1 choice for the conference. I think they play the majority of the conference anyway in OOC games. While the addition doesn't add much if anything in new recruiting chances it doesn't increase the travelling needs and costs of a possible trip to Hawaii every year. The only thing i see that helps Hawaii's chances of joining is that if they host the conference tourney. It would give people a chance for a vacation and to watch the games.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Big West MB thread discussing lifting of conference expansion moratorium at http://bigwest.yuku.com/topic/8823/t/Ne ... ifted.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next