NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:42 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:16 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Pulling from footballgod's thread about running the SEC, what would you do if you were given the keys to the conference. Do you keep the staus quo? Are teams evicted? Are teams brought in? What is the logic behind your decisions?

Feel free to question others' decisions, but don't be a wimp --- put your own ideas up first!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:53 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I would start with having a "Come to Jesus" with the 10 member schools. The reality is that the publics want to get back to FBS status and the privates in essence are preventing that from occuring by eating up slots in the conference. As commissioner, my job is to do the best I can for all member schools, not for some at the expense of the others.

I would immediately expand adding Denver, Valpo, Loyola-Chicago, Butler, and Detroit with an understanding that in 5 years, those 5 schools will break away with Creighton, Bradley, Drake, and Evanston to form a new conference, the Midwestern Conference (MC). The MC would add Oral Roberts as it's 10th member.

I would lay out the realities of names affecting school's future potential to all schools and set strict name guidelines for all Public schools. I would encourage Wichita State to join Memphis in changing their name to "X University" even though, just like Memphis State, their state monicker is one of the rare solid "city State" brand names. Missou State, Ill State, So. Ill, and Wichita University would all be encouraged to expand their stadiums to 30K and start the upgrade process to FBS. I would offer memberships to FBS jumpers Texas State and UTSA (if they rebranded to San Antonio University) and to SHSU (if they agreed to move up and rebranded to Sam Houston University).

My goal would be to transform any school with a name starting with a single direction (Northern, Southern) into a brand that TV recognizes dominate multiple DMAs in that area and to transform schools that own the top "state" monicker into schools with a TV acknowldged Statewide pull. The conference would pull in a lot of "State" schools to generate momentum for that concept.

I would split the MVC into 2 divisions that would effectively be two independent conferences.

MVC
MC Division
Denver
Valpo
Loyola-Chicago
Butler
Detroit
Creighton
Bradley
Drake
Evanston

MVC
MV Division
Missou State U.
Ill State U.
So. Ill U.
Wichita U.
Texas State
San Antonio U.
Indiana State U.
Northern Iowa U.
Sam Houston U.

I would bring the football only Gateway Conference in house. UND and USD would be added to the membership and it would be our FCS home until the 8 MVC schools complete their FBS transition and the privates officially split off and run independent of me. After that it would be an all sports home to all 4 Dakota FCS schools, Youngstown and W. Ill.

I'd then invite 5 schools on the fringes of the MVC conference footprint to join the FBS MVC: N. Illinois, Arkansas St, La. Tech, UNT, and NMSU.

N. Illinois is on the fringe of the MAC. Joining an FBS MVC with S. Illinois and Illinois State allows all 3 alumni bases to be leveraged into Chicago viewership. Essentially, it backs up Northern Illinois claim to relavancy in the Chicago market using the other alumni bases. That helps them in ways the MAC doesn't and can't. In the MAC, they offer merely a toehold in Chicago. In the MVC, it could be argued the conference would be a major player with the 3 school's combined chicago area alumni bases.

Arkansas State is a fairly good basket ball school in a tiny DMA on the fringe of a poorly respected conference. Being in the MVC gives Arkansas State close travel partners who share a commitment to basketball. It also allows Arkansas State to make the claim to being a school with a statewide following. Whether TV buys it up front doesn't matter, the conference has enough "legit" native DMAs to generate good TV revenue. Eventually, Arkansas State will be a statewide school like Oklahoma State. They are in a tiny metro area, their graduates have to go elsewhere to work. I think it isn't a stretch to see them as a school with statewide appeal down the road. Playing football in the North and BB in the south would help the school develop their reputation outside the state.

La Tech wants out of the WAC, but doesn't want to join the sunbelt as it puts them on an equal tier as UL Monroe. This FBS MVC would immediately be better in basketball and baseball and should be better in football in short order. It is a ton more convenient than the WAC. It is filled with other schools trying to make the arguement that they are relevant either statewide or in multiple DMAs, just like La Tech.

UNT has a history of solid football and is currently pretty good in basketball. While moving to the WAC was judged as a marginal upgrade not worth the travel costs, the FBS MVC would make a ton of sense for UNT, giving them a ton of nearby rivals and making them the UT (southern dominant) of the conference (to N. Ill's Nebraska).

New Mexico State is my sneaky choice. They are a strongly supported Basketball school (aved. 7K per game last 5 years)that belonged to the MVC years ago. They have a reasonable toehold on the El Paso market (300K), but a strong arguement can be made that they are TV relevant in the Albaquerque (677K)market too as the only other big school in the state.

MVC
Illinois Division
Northern Illinois U.
Ill State U.
So. Ill. U.
Arkansas State U.
Missou State U.
Wichita U.

Texas Division
La Tech
North Texas
Sam Houston U.
Texas State U.
San Antonio U.
New Mexico State U.

non football (in basketball the conference would do a 7/7 split with Ark State playing with the southern schools.)
Northern Iowa U.
Indiana State U.

This creates a good TV & BB conference that allows each school to mature in a tight footprint. The conference would be a strong number 2 with a solid foothold in the biggest markets in the region, the #3 Chicago, #5 Dallas/Fort Worth and #10 Houston DMAs.

Native DMAs = Chicago, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Wichita, Paducah, Cedar Rapids, El Paso, Springfeild, Peoria, Monroe, Jonesboro = ~11.4M TV households. That is a bigger than the NET native DMA TV total of WAC. and should be more than enough to fuel conference growth.

Argueable secondary markets = Albequerque, KC, St. Louis, the rest of Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Illinois would probably take the conference potential viewership well over 16M TV households total.

MC
Denver
Valpo
Loyola-Chicago
Butler
Detroit
Creighton
Bradley
Drake
Evanston
Oral Roberts

Native DMAs = Chicago, Detroit, Denver, Indianapolis, Tulsa, Des Moines, Omaha, Evansville, & Peoria, = ~9.8M TV households. That is a comparable to the NET native DMA TV total of WAC.

Last edited by finiteman on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.