Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

tute79 wrote:
I'm also getting the vibe that EKU may be crossing the T's and dotting the I's.
They've kept it low-key.

From all indications, JMU told the Sun-Belt "thanks, but no thanks" some time ago.

The rumors about Liberty have the flavor of being generated by someone at Liberty,
hoping that "wishful thinking" can make this a "self-fulfilling prophecy".
We should know more in about a month.

If it's EKU, then the OVC is down to 12. Do they stay there, or perhaps invite NKU and Northern Alabama ?

There were strong rumors at the time that NKU moved up that the OVC told them no because they feared their arena and resources could end up dominating the conference. I wish I could find a link on that one, as this was in the local news, not just message boards.

Any chance the Belt could be making a more aggressive play to get to 14, instead of 12? Seems as though it might be a good call, especially if further realignment happens in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SBC board is saying JMU and Missouri St. have invites, no links of course. EKU has the most smoke of the 4 names that keep getting cycled through the SBC as #12

What board? Just curious, not doubting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

OVC would be down to 11. I wonder if JMU got a no from the MAC after UMass got kicked to the curb and now they will settle for the SBC. I figure they'll go w/ a football school. Either Kennesaw St. or bring up UNA from D-II. Both close to Jax St.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Just in case Eastern Kentucky does leave the FCS level and the OVC to join the FBS level, which schools would be the great replacement? Should it be from D-II conferences such as the GLIAC or the GLVC or the MIAA (Mid-America)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Just in case Eastern Kentucky does leave the FCS level and the OVC to join the FBS level, which schools would be the great replacement? Should it be from D-II conferences such as the GLIAC or the GLVC or the MIAA (Mid-America)?

North Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

North Alabama

Great choice. But it would be the perfect replacement for Jacksonville State (in case the Gamecocks will be next to plan to go FBS in the future and/or join the Sun Belt). But besides North Alabama, any other schools? At least from the GSC.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:19 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

West GA
Kennesaw State if football gets started.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

any of UNA, UWG, KSU would be a great travel partner for JSU.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Fair enough. But I will these be also a replacement for JSU in case JSU goes FBS?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Fair enough. But I will these be also a replacement for JSU in case JSU goes FBS?

If they lose a football school they will replace with a fb school. These are pretty much the top candidates and I'm sure they would also try for some SoCon members like UT-C, Samford, or ETSU.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

If they lose a football school they will replace with a fb school. These are pretty much the top candidates and I'm sure they would also try for some SoCon members like UT-C, Samford, or ETSU.

Logically true. But at one point, Samford was a former OVC member. However, in my opinion (and to be honest), the OVC doesn't need to be technically in the Deep South. I think upto Mid-South is enough, while keeping the Lower Midwest flavor in the process; when it comes to geographic footprint. Historically, the OVC was once a Kentucky-only conference before expanding into Tennessee, Illinois and Missouri. Formerly, the conference had members on right-sided Midwest states such as Ohio (i.e.: Youngstown State and Akron) and Indiana (i.e.: Evansville); as well as on the South Atlantic regional state of West Virginia (i.e.: Marshall). Hope this helps for now.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article from EKU paper(previously posted in another thread)with comments from EKU President and AD indicating that EKU expects to remain in the OVC at this time.Link at http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/04/ ... ern-sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;