NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: GREAT WEST Expansion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I hope it plays out like this

WAC: adds Lamar, Seattle, Utah Valley, CS Bakersfield
SLC: adds UTPA, HBU, Abilene Christian
Summit: adds Chicago St., N.Dakota, UN-Omaha
OVC: adds N.Alabama
AEC: adds NJIT
A-Sun:adds Longwood, Lincoln Memorial

poof, everyone has a home and the GWC is gone. Of course this will never happen.
N.Kentucky, LeMoyne said they can't afford to move D-I in the near future. UNO, Bellarmine, UNA, Lincoln Memorial all still seem to have interest

BLAST FROM THE PAST REMIX

WAC: adds Lamar, Seattle, Utah Valley, CS Bakersfield (Too soon on Lamar and add UTPA and GCU)
SLC: adds UTPA, HBU, Abilene Christian (Swap UTPA w/ New Orleans and add Incarnate Word)
Summit: adds Chicago St., N.Dakota, UN-Omaha (too soon on NDU and swap Chicago St w/ Denver)
OVC: adds N.Alabama (too sooon)
AEC: adds NJIT (looking more and more likely, could also be NEC)
A-Sun:adds Longwood, Lincoln Memorial (too soon on Lincoln)

I must admit, that's some pretty good guess work...

GUESS? That aint no guess! Name the movie (sports related)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

we should archive this GWC thread cuz it's dead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

poof, everyone has a home and the GWC is gone. Of course this will never happen.
N.Kentucky, LeMoyne said they can't afford to move D-I in the near future. UNO, Bellarmine, UNA, Lincoln Memorial all still seem to have interest

WAC: adds Lamar, Seattle, Utah Valley, CS Bakersfield (Too soon on Lamar and add UTPA and GCU)
SLC: adds UTPA, HBU, Abilene Christian (Swap UTPA w/ New Orleans and add Incarnate Word)
Summit: adds Chicago St., N.Dakota, UN-Omaha (too soon on NDU and swap Chicago St w/ Denver)

GUESS? That aint no guess! Name the movie (sports related)

WATER SUCKS IT REALLY REALLY SUCK!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Agreed. Excellent foresight.

(FWIW, Longwood went to Big South instead of A-Sun).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I guess the only question now is what happens to the Great West affiliate schools:

Northern Colorado baseball
North Dakota baseball
NYIT baseball
Delaware State women's soccer
Howard women's soccer
South Carolina State women's soccer

I can see Northern Colorado and North Dakota going to the WAC, as the WAC will be down to only one affiliate baseball member, CSU-Sacramento. UND and Northern Colorado are currently WAC affiliates in women's swimming.

I would think some northeastern conference would pick up NYIT to make an even number of baseball schools. Would any conference want to take all 3 HBCU soccer teams as a package deal?

Post subject: GREAT WEST Realignment
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I could see the SWAC possibly being interested, although I think the Atlantic Sun would be more likely. I guess we'll wait to see if the WAC has to add NJIT first.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:04 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Here's one of the few articles about the final Great West Conference b'ball tourney, giving a rundown of the future of the schools.
http://chicagosidesports.com/farewell-t ... onference/

As it now stands, NYIT will be independent in baseball (Northern Colorado and North Dakota did accept an invite from the WAC). NJIT is still not invited to any conference.

Women's soccer is all that's left of the Great West: NJIT, Howard, Delaware State, and South Carolina State apparently will have some sort of scheduling alliance and tourney next fall.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

RIP Great West.

Hope NJIT finds a conference to call home.

Looking at the women's soccer line-up - aren't 3 of the 4 in the MEAC ? couldn't the MEAC take that over ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The four GWC soccer schools could invite Francis Marion, but that will only give them five schools presuming NJIT remains homeless for all sports.

Colorado College has served as Tulane's stand-in for C-USA women's soccer. I'd be curious to see if that relationship continues as C-USA would actually have 13 for 2013-14 in women's soccer and 12 once ECU leaves. Perhaps Francis Marion could join for next season, and then South Carolina State for soccer only once ECU leaves?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:49 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

And the last conference GWC champion was crowned on Saturday. Houston Baptist won the final baseball tourney.
http://www.khou.com/sports/HBU-baseball ... 77091.html

Still no news on where NJIT, NYIT baseball, or the 3 HBCU women soccer teams will play next season. The Patriot League only has six schools playing baseball, and NJIT and NYIT are in the middle of the conference footprint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

FCS MB thread discussing NJIT and Great West Conference situation at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... 238f5750ba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SB Nation blog article discussing NJIT and Great West Conference situation at http://www.midmajormadness.com/2013/7/2 ... rence-home

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

They will be the emergency backup for the Summit or Atlantic Sun - it wouldn't surprise me to see NJIT in the Summit for 2014-15 just to try to keep the baseball automatic bid alive:

NJIT (baseball only or full member)
NYIT (baseball only)
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Western Illinois
Fort Wayne
Omaha (transitional)

The Atlantic Sun is in a survivable state as long it has no further defections. The Big South appears to be respecting that, although all bets could be off once NKU finishes its transition.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Has NJIT announced who they will be playing in each of their sports for 2013-14?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:35 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I recently posted this over in the Summit League thread, because there is a discussion over there about NJIT. I'm not sure how open NJIT or the Summit League schools are to this, though NJIT would be rejoining some Great West Conference mates like South Dakota if they joined the Summit.

"NJIT could easily join the Summit for 2014-15, and would be a better fit there than anywhere else despite the location.
1. The Summit needs baseball schools, and NJIT has that (and could bring NYIT as a baseball-only affiliate).
2. NJIT doesn't seem to be adding lacrosse or any other sports that northeastern conferences are emphasizing, which is part of why the NEC and America East aren't interested.
3. NJIT has all sports sponsored by the Summit except men's and women's golf and women's swimming; and only basketball and golf have all 8 members competing, so NJIT would help with scheduling.
4. If NJIT can afford to play at the Prudential Center for basketball and club level ice hockey, then surely they could find a way to pay a travel subsidy like Hawaii does to other BIg West members.
5. This kind of goes back to #1, but the Summit needs to do whatever they can to keep their auto-bid, and NJIT is the only realistic option to keep it since they are a full DI member. Plus adding 2 basketball games to a 14-game schedule can only help, especially if one is at the Prudential Center.

If NJIT doesn't like spending more money for athletics, then they need to go back to Division II. As for the Summit, they can't afford to risk losing another and desperately need to rebound."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next