NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: GREAT WEST Expansion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:28 am 
Senior
Senior

Pounder wrote:
Western Oregon is actually D-2, though they are just getting comfortable wearing those shoes after being NAIA and then D-3 for a while. Besides, since the North Central didn't last long for CWU and WWU, there's now a reasonable football conference with those three, Humboldt State, and Dixie State in Utah. Not great, but reasonable. Furthermore, the Great Northwest serves CWU, WOU, and WWU better than the Great West would... not sure what happens if Seattle U joins, but I doubt any of these schools want any part of conference road trips to New Jersey. Probably not Chicago, either. There's not a highly developed fan base among those three schools to cover those costs.

I thought Western Washington was keeping an eye on D-1 for a while... but I think they were thinking Big Sky. Recently, nothing... and I thought I heard something indicating they've been scared off.

They could use some D-2 compatriots... and I don't see where they'd come from. Everyone else is comfortable.

You're right Pounder, I meant to put WOU in with CW and WW, I just spaced and left them out on accident.

I agree that WOU and probably CWU would be better served in the GNW than the GWC, about the only legitimate offer that would tempt them into going I-AA would be for the Big Sky to take them on and be a 12-team conference, which I don't see happening unless other schools end up going I-A along with Montana. That said I can see the Big Sky taking the Dakota schools first (wow, that wouldn't cause even more animosity, would it?).

While I have a feeling that NJIT will probably find an Eastern home once they get settled into DI, I think ChiState will end up being an albatross throught the lifespan of the conference. I doubt any other conference wants them anywhere near their membership. Their only hope is that the Big East splits, the former BE basketball schools raid the A-10 and Horizon, causing those conferences to pillage the Summit.

Post subject: GREAT WEST Expansion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 am 
Senior
Senior

davids wrote:
I would like to see Gonzaga have a football team some time in the future. I used to lived in that area and visited Spokane many times when I was a kid.

There's no interest at all in Gonzaga football. Eastern Washington already plays at least one game a year in Spokane, outside of the Big Sky there's no attractive western I-AA football, and it's doubtful they would draw the crowds needed to sustain a fb program. What really killed any chance for Zags (or any other WCC schools picking up the pigskin) was when St. Mary's shut down their program, because if they couldn't sustain a program, there's not much of a chance of anyone else (other than San Diego, who doesn't have scholarships) being able to.

Post subject: Re: GREAT WEST Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Northern Colorado is now a member of the Great West for baseball only, along with the New York Institute of Technology (and yes, NYIT and NJIT both play baseball).

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/2 ... conference

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:42 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Maybe the NJIT athletes should be permitted to just goto a school in the west for academics but play under the NJIT name for economic sake ;)

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:16 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://greatwestconference.cstv.com/spo ... 09aaa.html

The Great West has killed the United Soccer Conference, which only sponsored women's soccer, by absorbing NJIT, Howard, Delaware State, South Carolina State, and Utah Valley. IPFW, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State had previously left for the Summit League. No word on where Longwood's women's soccer program will compete.

Interestingly, the Great West could do the same to the Atlantic Soccer Conference, as Houston Baptist and NJIT already compete there. The other members are Adelphi, Howard, and Longwood. If Denver joins the Great West, that would give the Great West six for men's soccer, and possibly allow the Great West to pick up all of the MPSF men's soccer programs (Air Force, New Mexico, UNLV, Sacramento State, and San Jose state) as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It will be interesting to see how long the GWC lasts. Summit went to S.Dakota to check things out. UND & USD could end up in the Summit soon.

GWC should try and get Seattle since no one wants them. Longwood still holding out hope for the A-Sun.

When the Moratorium is up Oklahoma City should apply like they were supposed to.

Quinn, my info on your realignment grid
Seattle is provisional
CS Bakersfield is provisional
N.Alabama is looking at D-I and the OVC
W.Florida is looking at D-I
W.Georgia is looking at D-I
LeMoyne is looking at D-I
Oklahoma City is looking at D-I
N.Kentucky is looking at D-I
Bellarmine is looking at D-I

C.Oklahoma & Tarleton St. would move to D-I if asked to join the SLC

IUP talk seems dead on D-I, Incarate Word would only move D-I if not accepted to LSC(they were accepted)

UM-St.Louis, Delta St., UA-Huntsville, Harding: never heard anything about them moving

Central St.(hoping to not have to go to the NAIA) & Kentucky St. no way in hell they move up. Probably the same goes for CSU-Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If UND and USD join the Summit, would this kill the Great West Football Conference as well? The Summit would have six schools who play FCS football: NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Southern Utah, and Western Illinois. It ultimately depends on the Summit's bylaws regarding conference sponsorship of a sport. If that came to pass, I imagine the two California Great West schools would be football-only members of the Big Sky or Summit.

The Great West's chances will definitely be hurt if the Dakota schools leave, but it might actually help the Great West form a rational base in Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

W.Illinois is in the MVC for football & Summit for all others.

GWC has 5 for football. Big Sky doesn't allow partial memberships. If NAU drops football S.Utah would become a Big Sky member for all sports. NAU would either have to leave the Sky or possibly be allowed to stay on for all other sports (Sort of grandfathering them in even though they don't meet the football requirment) OVC did this with Morehead St. a while back, now the OVC allows non-football playing members.

GWC would still have 5 for football even if UND & USD join the Summit. The MVC has said nothing about adding them for football which means they'd have to stay in the GWC for football like the other 3 schools.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
W.Illinois is in the MVC for football & Summit for all others.

GWC has 5 for football. Big Sky doesn't allow partial memberships. If NAU drops football S.Utah would become a Big Sky member for all sports. NAU would either have to leave the Sky or possibly be allowed to stay on for all other sports (Sort of grandfathering them in even though they don't meet the football requirment) OVC did this with Morehead St. a while back, now the OVC allows non-football playing members.

GWC would still have 5 for football even if UND & USD join the Summit. The MVC has said nothing about adding them for football which means they'd have to stay in the GWC for football like the other 3 schools.

I don't know about southern Utah being any type of lock with the Dakota St. schools being available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Only UNC, MSU, & Montana wanted the Dakota schools the rest of the league was/is against it. Too far east all 4 schools on the eastern border of the state. I was reading about SUU's improvments that the Sky told them to make to be considered and that they were working on it. UC-Davis would get added over S.Utah but Davis won't leave its all Cali conf., plus UCD has a lot of sports that the Sky doesn't offer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Only UNC, MSU, & Montana wanted the Dakota schools the rest of the league was/is against it. Too far east all 4 schools on the eastern border of the state. I was reading about SUU's improvments that the Sky told them to make to be considered and that they were working on it. UC-Davis would get added over S.Utah but Davis won't leave its all Cali conf., plus UCD has a lot of sports that the Sky doesn't offer.

Or another possibility is that the BSC axes NAU and takes the four Dakota schools... this insulates them for when Sacramento state makes any move they're going to make (and they'll also be the lone southern member), and would also give them more solid football if UM decides to jump to D-I.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:29 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tarkiokid wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Or another possibility is that the BSC axes NAU and takes the four Dakota schools... this insulates them for when Sacramento state makes any move they're going to make (and they'll also be the lone southern member), and would also give them more solid football if UM decides to jump to D-I.

I really like this idea. The big sky has changed slightly over the years. And a future look that would be entirely northern states would be good...and stable.

EWU
Portland St
Idaho St
Weber St.
Northern Colorado
Montana
montana St
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

However, this would ONLY happen if something happened to Sac St (upgrade to WAC) or NAU (drop football???). There's no way the Big Sky would kick out a school.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I talked to a top NAU supporter who knows what's going on. They are not going to drop football.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
I really like this idea. The big sky has changed slightly over the years. And a future look that would be entirely northern states would be good...and stable.

EWU
Portland St
Idaho St
Weber St.
Northern Colorado
Montana
montana St
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

However, this would ONLY happen if something happened to Sac St (upgrade to WAC) or NAU (drop football???). There's no way the Big Sky would kick out a school.

I agree, this would only work if Sac State moves and if NAU would drop football (which is not the case for now), but even if NAU did I don't really see them wanting to leave, as their only options would be the Big West (who probably wouldn't be interested), the Summit (not nearly as attractive as the BSC), or the GWC (would take some Chicago State-like sanction threats to make them move there). I also agree that I really don't see them kicking anyone out, but it is possible that if a school drops football they could show them the door. That may have been a sticky situation with CSU-Northridge had they not went to the BWC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

With UC-Davis and Cal Poly accepting FB-only invites to the Big Sky, the Great West is likely dead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next