NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: GREAT WEST Expansion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wow does this mean they'll get a basketball bid too?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Bruin, the NCAA contradicting itself by saying a 5 team league counts even though they just passed a rule that says you need 7 full members. I'll believe it when I see an actual invite. It would be great if it was allowed. I think Quinn and the others would be mad if I took the bet now and lost, since the NCAA seems to be talking out of both sides of its mouth(ass). They'd tell me to get a new ID and keep posting :twisted:

The D-II schools would be Grand Canyon who already said they want to be D-I. So, they'd ask to be a member as soon as the GWC is allowed. (If the NCAA goes through with this).

schools that want to be D-I
Grand Canyon
UCSD (want to be in the Big West or stay D-II)
N.Alabama(talking w/ OVC)
N.Kentucky(talking w/ OVC)
Abilene Christian(wants SLC)
Angelo St.(put off looking at D-I/SLC)
Lincoln Memorial(A-Sun if they still want to move)
Bellarmine(wants D-I, Summit?)
W.Florida (wanted D-I, A-Sun, I don't know if they still do)

So GCU might be your only option.
Longwood and CSUB have less travel by being Indy and playing basically against local BSC, ASC, SoCon, CAA schools, and same for CSUB w/ BWC, WCC schools. So unless GWC had an AQ I don't see them going. I'm surprised that NJIT is still in the GWC. All it takes for them to be gone is the AEC taking a NEC school to go to 10, then the NEC really only has NJIT to back fill to 12 with. HBU and UTPA might end up in the SLC if they can't land a D-II fb school or 2.

Who are you a fan of that you take so much interest in the GWC?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

GWC
Utah Valley
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Chicago St.
NJIT

What 5 or 7 schools are they going to land to split E/W? Longwood is only closeish to NJIT, CSUB is only closeish to UVU. GCU would be in the west. Bellarmine would likely wait for a Summit invite but who knows. The others have conf. options in the A-Sun, OVC, SLC. Longwood may end up in the A-Sun now that they are down to 9.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
GWC
Utah Valley
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Chicago St.
NJIT

What 5 or 7 schools are they going to land to split E/W? Longwood is only closeish to NJIT, CSUB is only closeish to UVU. GCU would be in the west. Bellarmine would likely wait for a Summit invite but who knows. The others have conf. options in the A-Sun, OVC, SLC. Longwood may end up in the A-Sun now that they are down to 9.

UCSD may go ahead and start the process of moving to D1 and play in the Great West if CSUB joins...that way when they are a full D1 member the Big West may be more willing to take them since they have proven they are D1 quality. The Big West may not want to risk having UCSD fail in D1 and be stuck with an uneven number of Cal/Cal St school by accepting CSUB right away. They may be at a catch 22, UCSD doesn't want to upgrade w/o a conference and the Big West doesn't want to invite them knowing that they could be stuck with CSUB...the Great West could act as transitional home and address both of these problems...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
GWC
Utah Valley
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Chicago St.
NJIT

UCSD may go ahead and start the process of moving to D1 and play in the Great West if CSUB joins...that way when they are a full D1 member the Big West may be more willing to take them since they have proven they are D1 quality. The Big West may not want to risk having UCSD fail in D1 and be stuck with an uneven number of Cal/Cal St school by accepting CSUB right away. They may be at a catch 22, UCSD doesn't want to upgrade w/o a conference and the Big West doesn't want to invite them knowing that they could be stuck with CSUB...the Great West could act as transitional home and address both of these problems...

BWC was already willing to take them if they had only 9. The only thing keeping them out is that they don't want 11. It's posted on the D-II thread. They also don't want 12 w/ CSUB & UCSD. I don't know what the problem is w/ CSUB or 12. I think the report said something about BWC or stay D-II as well. They can't afford the travel of the WAC, GWC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

so unless there is some new info that only bruin knows about, that shows the hypocrisy that is the NCAA where they install a new rule this year, then change it so that a not-conf w/ 5 teams can be one.

He posts a message proving me right then finds that hypocritical gem to bail him out. Somehow freaked missed it. bruin must be the head of the NCAA and he just changed it so he could win if we bet :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

From facebook...

tkalmus: Does this mean the Great West has an automatic bid to the NCAA bb tourney and can invite D2 members into the conference?

The Senior Reports: TK...I would say no...it just gives them NCAA ok to compete as a conference, they don't meet a lot of the requirements needed to get the AQ's...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
From facebook...

tkalmus: Does this mean the Great West has an automatic bid to the NCAA bb tourney and can invite D2 members into the conference?

The Senior Reports: TK...I would say no...it just gives them NCAA ok to compete as a conference, they don't meet a lot of the requirements needed to get the AQ's...

Side note Dave was in charge of expansion for the ECC(D-I version that no longer exists that had NE Illinois, Buffalo, Troy, Chicago St., Hofstra, CCSU, back in the 90's). So maybe the bet should be back on ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

Consider this a dead conference.

Members are leaving in various sports. It just can't keep up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Oral Roberts leaving the Summit on July 1 may prompt the Summit League to add Chicago State, which would be the only school in the Summit's footprint that is available on that short of notice. The Cougars haven't been good the past couple of years, but in 2008-2009 they finished 19-13, and were 6-2 against the current members of the Great West.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 am 
Freshman
Freshman

This may not help the "Great" West at all: http://www.chron.com/sports/college/art ... 260654.php

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UTPA coach begins blog : "The team I inherited in June 2009 was on probation with only half its scholarships filled. To boot, we compete in the Great West -- the only D1 conference without an automatic bid to the Big Dance (why do we pay NCAA dues again?) and the only league in which the HQ is run out of the commissioner’s basement. (Foosball, anyone?)"

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... egins-blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

With North Dakota and Houston Baptist leaving might as well throw a bone at other independents needing a "scheduling alliance" but also I know it added Nebraska-Omaha for Softball. Yes I typed softball.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Rio Grande Valley discussing GWC attempt at snagging a NCAA BB tourney autobid.Link at http://www.themonitor.com/sports/ncaa-5 ... -UTAA.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:30 am 
Senior
Senior

Hope they get it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next