NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Very sensible decision by Idaho, and great for the fans, who are certainly FAR MORE LIKELY to travel to games in the Northwest than travel to Appalachia State or Louisiana.

Big Sky would also be a great home for NMSU.

If Big Sky is getting too big, maybe the Summit / MVFC will take another look at North Dakota (since they've shed the controversial "Fighting Sioux" name) and / or let Sacramento State leave for the Big West, while remaining a Football affiliate in the Big Sky.

I think it's sensible... but to say that Idaho fans will travel after having had 20 years of FBS is kind of pushing it. Idaho will have to write off a good number of alumni and regenerate from there.

In the meantime, as the WAC likely goes the way of the dodo bird, the next conference that perhaps deserves a wakeup call is the Big West. Having a conference where UC schools have to not allow Cal State schools to outvote them begs for a split.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Enlighten me....
Did Idaho fans make the trek to any Sun-Belt away games ?

I imagine some kids went to some OOC games in their neighborhood....
Now they will play more games within a few hours bus ride.
I would expect SOME interest in games vs. Montana, Montana St., Eastern Washington, Idaho State, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:06 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Probably Idaho's only decent option. No other FBS conference will want Idaho as long as they use the Kibbie Dome. 16,000 seats made Kibbie the smallest FBS stadium, and it would put them middle of the pack in the Big Sky Conference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Will NMSU follow remains the big unanswered question. I think they are a little better positioned to make an Indy schedule as long as UTEP and New Mexico are willing to play them.

Supposedly, the Big Sky is semi-obsessed with creating a set up where they get to automatic bids for FCS football as well as possibly men's basketball. You can do that by either working with the Big West or WAC. I think it's just a matter of figuring out how to shuffle things.

Big West--they already have Cal Poly and UC Davis. If they expand with Sacramento St and NMSU and Hawaii is forced out of the MWC in favor of UTEP that gives Big West football 5 members. They'd just need San Diego to make the minimum of 6 but the Big Sky could loan them Southern Utah or Grand Canyon or Utah Valley could start a program.

WAC--make a deal with the truly western schools (sorry UMKC, UTRGV, and Chicago St). 12 members plus 5 newcomers is 17--that's a 9 team conference and an 8 team conference. Divide the football members and affiliates UC Davis and Cal Poly among the two.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces(previously posted in another thread)with comments from NMSU BOR Chairperson who says that NMSU plans to stay FBS at this time and is not interested in the Big Sky,who have not issued an invitation.Link at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... s/83978532

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Enlighten me....
Did Idaho fans make the trek to any Sun-Belt away games ?

I imagine some kids went to some OOC games in their neighborhood....
Now they will play more games within a few hours bus ride.
I would expect SOME interest in games vs. Montana, Montana St., Eastern Washington, Idaho State, etc.

Don't be so obsessed with away games when the home games are just as hard to reach for the majority of Idaho's area of support.

Mind you, the Idaho board is full of rabid anti-relegationists who are hopping mad right now. They're vowing not to go to any more games or give money to the program. They're claiming that the majority of support for this move comes from people who don't go to games and will continue to not go to games. I'm not sure this isn't a small minority of Vandal fans, but when they point out that attendance has been better in FBS than it was prior to 1996, the numbers kind of back them up.

There will probably be consistent road support from the Montana schools and Eastern Washington. It should be noted that nobody else travels to Portland in good numbers. I know I'd been to Idaho v Idaho State in Moscow and ISU fans were barely noticeable. If the Idaho fans have skipped over anything, it's how the Montana school support has grown since Boise State and Idaho left the Big Sky after 1995 and left the ball in Missoula, so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

With Idaho and FBS, do you think a lot of it is "Boise State Envy" ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Billings with comments from Big Sky Commish regarding various topics at http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... c0862.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

No mention of potentially adding NMSU.
Perhaps the writer was too ill-informed to discuss that possibility.
Perhaps NMSU is praying for Big XII expansion and a favorable cascade.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Grand Forks(previously posted in another thread) reporting that UND is negotiating to leave the Big Sky.Link at http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ ... mit-league

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Sioux Falls also reporting that North Dakota plans to announce this Thursday that they will be leaving the Big Sky for the Summit and MVFC.Link at http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... 0/97004366

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Sioux Falls also reporting that North Dakota plans to announce this Thursday that they will be leaving the Big Sky for the Summit and MVFC.Link at http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports ... 0/97004366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, basically, 7-8 years for bad blood to subside and good regional sense to take over. Better than most.

Also, the Big Sky doesn't have to do a darned thing in response. North Dakota leaves, Idaho football returns. Now, about Portland State football...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

To be fair, I believe that it's about time that the North Dakota athletic program can finally compete in a more geographic friendly and more competitive conference after years if finding a new nickname to replace their longtime and historical one in The Fighting Sioux, causing to have sanctions and stuff; which was why that North Dakota couldn't join the Summit & MVFC along with the other Dakota schools and also former football school Nebraska-Omaha. However, I don't get why the transition process for 2 years as an affiliate member for football in the Big Sky; when UND could have joined altogether in the SL/MVFC coming the 2018-19 athletic year.

But the next question is: with North Dakota joining the MVFC in football, will that eventually lead the SL to form a football league of its own? So far, the Summit schools with football in that league are North Dakota St. (FCS powerhouse), South Dakota St. anf South Dakota; along with Western Illinois and Nebraska-Omaha (if that school would have chosen to revive its football program; but it won't happen for a long time) and possibly Youngstown St. (as a possible associate member, and former Summit full member).

With UND leaving and Idaho football returning (come 2020), the Big Sky will still have 12-13 schools, of which all but 2 are full members.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Bismarck with announcement that as previously reported Big Sky member UND will be joining the Summit and MVFC at http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/sports/UN ... 03005.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Could this Big Sky realignment nightmare come to pass?

MVC adds Milwaukee, Valparaiso, Murray State
Horizon League adds IUPUI, IPFW
OVC adds Western Illinois
Summit League adds Montana, Montana State, Idaho, EWU
Big West adds UCSD, Sacramento State

At this point the Big Sky is down to six schools. The Big Sky could be completely shut down if the Big West takes another school as its twelfth member, like Portland State. The WAC takes Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Weber State, and Idaho State and agrees to sponsor FCS football taking the three Big West schools as affiliates. At that point Northern Colorado has begged its old North Crntal Conference companions to add them as the Summit's twelfth member. The Summit divorces from the Missouri Valley Conference as it now has nine FCS programs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next