NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

Actually, I think UND/USD would be riper for the pickings because of their football situation. While NDS/SDS are both comfy in the MVC for football (and might have a leg up should the MVC wish to expand for all sports), the U of ___ Dakota schools are still in the Great West for FB, which means of the BSC does come calling, they're more likely to listen than the Dakota States, who were already spurned before. Now should the Dakota schools go to the Big Sky, would the State schools be tempted to try to join them? Possibly, however that would require a school either leaving the conference (most likely Sac State to the Big West or Montana leaving for the WAC/MWC (the MWC being a long shot, but that's another post)), or being forced out for dropping football (NAU and EWU the most likely, but I don't see either dropping before the economy turns around) to stay at a decent number (12 instead of 13), and keep things more managable in other sports (I doubt they have any desire to go to 14).

On the flipside, I actually see Denver getting a nod to the BSC before Southern Utah. This would require the consensus that going to 9 has really made basketball scheduling FUBAR, none of the schools are going to drop football or leave, and that there's no interest in any of the Dakota schools. In that case, they would probably take a school without football to leave that scheduling intact, and Denver would make more sense (while not necessarily adding a market, their sports resume is much better than SUU's, and UVU really doesn't bring anything to the table that would interest the BSC. This option would likely be used if the long term goal is I-A membership, which I'd estimate maybe half of the conference is ready for right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:39 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Tarkio, IMHO, a schools associate football membership in a conference is a non-factor in a conference shift in most cases, but definately this case: NDSU and SDSU, both schools that have been on the Big Sky radar would gladly drop their MVFC football affiliation and Summit all-sports affiliation to join a single conference (the conference both tried desperately to get into before settling on the Summit) for all sports. I just don't at all see UND and USD being in a more favorable position for the Big Sky simply because they play football in the Great West. All 4 schools want to be in the Big Sky and there is an assumption in the Dakotas that NDSU and SDSU are top in the pecking order.

If the Big East invited UMass, they'd jump at the opportunity. Just because they were spurned in the past (or lack of interest) doesn't mean they wouldn't jump if the opportunity presented itself. The Dakota State schools are in the same boat: if the Big Sky were to ever consider expanding east (still doubtful) they'd be the first two schools to bring in the welcome wagons.

The Denver situation always intrigues me. I like the school in relation to the Big Sky footprint. And I agree, if the Big Sky tried to remedy their scheduling hiccup, Denver would make sense. There just are alot of "buts":
* Denver is a private school while the other 9 are public
* By admitting Denver, the Big Sky could find themselves in the future in the same position the Sunbelt is in: stuck with a non-football school. Should a Big Sky member leave/downgrade/drop football, and the league look to expand, all of a sudden you're stuck with limited expansion options. Say 1 school leaves, and you are at 9 now for basketball but 8 for football. You want 1 team for football, so you're potentially stuck inviting 1 Dakota school. if you invite (2) for travel purposes, you're at 11 for basketball. It's a mess when you could just invite (2) Dakota schools now to be at 11.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think part of Sacramento State's reluctance to join the Big West is that a lot of the possible subsequent moves by the Big Sky has pretty good odds of guaranteeing that the Big West wouldn't be eligible for an automatic bid football. If four or more BWC/WCC schools and Southern Utah are all sponsoring scholarship FCS football, then I'd think Sac makes the move-even if all four Dakota schools go to the Big Sky, the Big West football league is safe.

The other possible glitch is that if the Big West adds Cal-State Bakersfield, adding Sacramento State would give the conference 11 members for all sports.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think Sacramento State's position is:

For all the potential advantages of the Big West, what do we do with our football team ?
The Great West is too small and highly unstable. Everyone in it wants to be somewhere else.

Imagine Sacramento State pulls out of the Big Sky and moves it's football program to the Great West.
The very next day, the Big Sky replaces them with Southern Utah for all sports.
One minute, Sacramento State became the 6th FB team in the GWFC, and a minute later that conference is back down to 5, and again in no position to apply for an AQ to the FCS Championship playoffs.

Absent any movement between D-I FCS and D-I FBS, what could stabilize the situation would be for the following:
Big Sky adds 3 affiliates for football (to get to 12), namely UC Davis, Cal Poly-SLO, and Southern Utah.
North Dakota becomes Summit #12 and North Dakota and South Dakota become #10 and #11 in the MVFC.
The GWFC disbands, as all member teams have gone elsewhere (there would still be a Great West Conference for a few non-football schools.

Then if Sac. St. were to move from the Big Sky to the Big West, Southern Utah could become their replacement as full Big Sky member #9. Sacramento State remains as one of 12 teams in Big Sky football (as an affilate).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:54 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

wbyeager wrote:
I think part of Sacramento State's reluctance to join the Big West is that a lot of the possible subsequent moves by the Big Sky has pretty good odds of guaranteeing that the Big West wouldn't be eligible for an automatic bid football. If four or more BWC/WCC schools and Southern Utah are all sponsoring scholarship FCS football, then I'd think Sac makes the move-even if all four Dakota schools go to the Big Sky, the Big West football league is safe.

The other possible glitch is that if the Big West adds Cal-State Bakersfield, adding Sacramento State would give the conference 11 members for all sports.

It would, but it could be a buffer to wait for a 12th team. Also, don't underestimate the power of the California state admins. The Big West is entirely California schools, all public except for Pacific (who could be a WCC option for #10 should they expand with Seattle). If the Cal St system pushes for Sac St to be added, Sac St would be added. The 10 vs 11 schools argument that makes so much sense for other conferences, isn't quite the same in this rare case where all 11 schools would be in the same state. Could be right though with the 11 school issue. But also figure that if the Big West were adamant on only 10 schools, there is a chance that they'd talk to Sac St. first before admitting Bakersfield. You never know though since it's years away. anything could happen before then.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
I think Sacramento State's position is:

For all the potential advantages of the Big West, what do we do with our football team ?
The Great West is too small and highly unstable. Everyone in it wants to be somewhere else.

Imagine Sacramento State pulls out of the Big Sky and moves it's football program to the Great West.
The very next day, the Big Sky replaces them with Southern Utah for all sports.
One minute, Sacramento State became the 6th FB team in the GWFC, and a minute later that conference is back down to 5, and again in no position to apply for an AQ to the FCS Championship playoffs.

Absent any movement between D-I FCS and D-I FBS, what could stabilize the situation would be for the following:
Big Sky adds 3 affiliates for football (to get to 12), namely UC Davis, Cal Poly-SLO, and Southern Utah.
North Dakota becomes Summit #12 and North Dakota and South Dakota become #10 and #11 in the MVFC.
The GWFC disbands, as all member teams have gone elsewhere (there would still be a Great West Conference for a few non-football schools.

Then if Sac. St. were to move from the Big Sky to the Big West, Southern Utah could become their replacement as full Big Sky member #9. Sacramento State remains as one of 12 teams in Big Sky football (as an affilate).

I think you're right about Sac St. It's why I think the key to it all is Fullerton and/or another Big West school adding football. If there are 3 Big West schools, plus SUU, UND and USD and THEN Sac St, you have 7 schools. The assumption for the Big West would be that SUU would go. But NDSU and SDSU are the likely top targets if they Big Sky went down the other path. Would the MVFC add UND and USD to replace NDSU and SDSU? Who knows. If they did, the Big West would be at 5: Fullerton, Sac St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, SUU.

But beyond Fullerton being a key, an argument could be made that Sac St. is the key.

With the economic troubles at Sac St, the number crunchers might look at the Big West. Straightforward, if Sac St. could save millions by switching from the Big sky to Big West, and the only setback is no opportunity for an automatic FCS football bid, perhaps they make the change. Think about it: how many autobids have Sac St. won recently. Even in a 5 team Big West, they'd save money on travel IF they filled out their OOC schedule with schools they have played recently or other more regional schools (2008 games played by Sac St: NAU, Portland St., Humboldt St, So. Oregon, Weber St, Idaho St; 2007: Fresno) as well as San Diego.

A longshot. But schools are cutting sports that they'd be able to keep if they weren't incuring such high travel costs. Sac St. is a rare school that could leave a conference like the Big Sky, save money by moving to the Big West, but actually be joining a stronger conference for many of the non-football sports).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sac St. will work like this. As long as they have football they'll be in the Sky. If they drop it they'll be in the Big West even if it has 10 already. UC San Diego would be added as a 12th school unless Pacific says they're going to the WCC. UCSD is trying to get an athletic fee hike to go D-I.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:35 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Sac St. will work like this. As long as they have football they'll be in the Sky. If they drop it they'll be in the Big West even if it has 10 already. UC San Diego would be added as a 12th school unless Pacific says they're going to the WCC. UCSD is trying to get an athletic fee hike to go D-I.

Bakersfield is assumed to get an eventual Big West invite once they are fully transitioned to D1. Their schedules are basically like being an additional BW member.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:50 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Tarkio, IMHO, a schools associate football membership in a conference is a non-factor in a conference shift in most cases, but definately this case: NDSU and SDSU, both schools that have been on the Big Sky radar would gladly drop their MVFC football affiliation and Summit all-sports affiliation to join a single conference (the conference both tried desperately to get into before settling on the Summit) for all sports. I just don't at all see UND and USD being in a more favorable position for the Big Sky simply because they play football in the Great West. All 4 schools want to be in the Big Sky and there is an assumption in the Dakotas that NDSU and SDSU are top in the pecking order.

If the Big East invited UMass, they'd jump at the opportunity. Just because they were spurned in the past (or lack of interest) doesn't mean they wouldn't jump if the opportunity presented itself. The Dakota State schools are in the same boat: if the Big Sky were to ever consider expanding east (still doubtful) they'd be the first two schools to bring in the welcome wagons.

The Denver situation always intrigues me. I like the school in relation to the Big Sky footprint. And I agree, if the Big Sky tried to remedy their scheduling hiccup, Denver would make sense. There just are alot of "buts":
* Denver is a private school while the other 9 are public
* By admitting Denver, the Big Sky could find themselves in the future in the same position the Sunbelt is in: stuck with a non-football school. Should a Big Sky member leave/downgrade/drop football, and the league look to expand, all of a sudden you're stuck with limited expansion options. Say 1 school leaves, and you are at 9 now for basketball but 8 for football. You want 1 team for football, so you're potentially stuck inviting 1 Dakota school. if you invite (2) for travel purposes, you're at 11 for basketball. It's a mess when you could just invite (2) Dakota schools now to be at 11.

Well, actually if the Dak States continue to build their hoops pedigrees (NDSU in men's, SDSU in women's), they actually would have a very good shot in becoming 11 & 12 in the MVC, especially if Butler chooses to try to get in with the Big East non-fb teams rather than go MVC. I see Butler being the 1st choice since they give a boost in hoops to a conference that's still very solid mid-major wise (it was only a few years ago they had 3 teams in the Sweet 16), but the problem is finding a 12th to come along and not water down Butler's impact. The second choice would be the DSU's, and I think this looks better than the Big Sky would at that point: not only do you have a solid fb conference, you also get a boost in basketball that the Big Sky really doesn't have. If I'm looking at the big picture if I'm at one of those schools, that's probably more enticing.

It is interesting to bring up UMass, because they would be involved likely in a BE split, probably by the football conference trying to coerce an upgrade, which would probably happen in better economic times. The split would also probably try to woo Butler, which would see that as an upgrade from the Horizon if the MVC can't find a school that would convince Butler to move West.

I agree with the "Buts" around the BSC taking Denver and possibly being stranded with them, but it can be worked around. The first choice would be to try to woo a Cal-Davis or Cal Poly from the Big West with virtually at least two slots available to the I-AA playoffs as a carrot, and this would put them back at 9 fb-10 bb. Second option would be to take two of the Dakota schools and then maybe add Seattle if they're still available. While this would put you at 10/12, it's a lot cleaner than some of the other options. I also realize that Denver is a private, which hasn't been in the conference since Gonzaga and Nevada swapped, but really outside of convincing a Big West school to move, there's not really many publics to choose from as is, let alone getting one to upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:14 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tarkiokid wrote:

Well, actually if the Dak States continue to build their hoops pedigrees (NDSU in men's, SDSU in women's), they actually would have a very good shot in becoming 11 & 12 in the MVC, especially if Butler chooses to try to get in with the Big East non-fb teams rather than go MVC. I see Butler being the 1st choice since they give a boost in hoops to a conference that's still very solid mid-major wise (it was only a few years ago they had 3 teams in the Sweet 16), but the problem is finding a 12th to come along and not water down Butler's impact. The second choice would be the DSU's, and I think this looks better than the Big Sky would at that point: not only do you have a solid fb conference, you also get a boost in basketball that the Big Sky really doesn't have. If I'm looking at the big picture if I'm at one of those schools, that's probably more enticing.

It is interesting to bring up UMass, because they would be involved likely in a BE split, probably by the football conference trying to coerce an upgrade, which would probably happen in better economic times. The split would also probably try to woo Butler, which would see that as an upgrade from the Horizon if the MVC can't find a school that would convince Butler to move West.

I agree with the "Buts" around the BSC taking Denver and possibly being stranded with them, but it can be worked around. The first choice would be to try to woo a Cal-Davis or Cal Poly from the Big West with virtually at least two slots available to the I-AA playoffs as a carrot, and this would put them back at 9 fb-10 bb. Second option would be to take two of the Dakota schools and then maybe add Seattle if they're still available. While this would put you at 10/12, it's a lot cleaner than some of the other options. I also realize that Denver is a private, which hasn't been in the conference since Gonzaga and Nevada swapped, but really outside of convincing a Big West school to move, there's not really many publics to choose from as is, let alone getting one to upgrade.

Couple things:
* Butler: I like them alot and thought they should have been an option rather than Boston University or Detroit the last time the A10 discussed expansion (took StL and Charlotte when CUsa had their major changes). But if you're the Big East non-football schools and there is a split, I think it's a virtual assumption in the sports world that xavier would be the school selected. They have the facilities, budget and success that the Big East would want, along with the Cincy market they'd be losing from the departure of Cincy. After them, Dayton is a logical candidate based on success, budget and facilities. The NCAA favors them as well. After those 2, you have St. Louis whom DePaul and Marquette favor joining. Even Charlotte might make the list if football doesn't take off. Regardless, you have a number of schools (3) at worst, that would be invited before Butler even gets reviewed.

* Dakota St schools: the facilities are a big step down for the MVC. So while it makes sense based on NDSU winning the summit and the geography, both schools need to raise tens of millions to build new facilities before they'd be serious players in the MVC. Would love to see it though.

* the UMass window never opened. When the BE 2003 changes started, Providence pushed for UMass to be added as an replacement for Boston College. But the Big East never called and certainly never game a sweet deal like UConn, St. Johns and GTown (only UConn took the deal to upgrade to IA football). If UMass were to ever join the BE, it would mean upgrading on their own as an indy, maybe join the MAC, win conference titles, increase their attendance numbers to 50,000, build a new stadium...just doubtful it will happen. USF had a good situation with CUSA and then the BE: Tampa market, an NFL stadium. UMass has to do it all on their own.

* I don't think the Big sky would be unhappy is Sac St. left. Many fans complain already about travel their as well as NAU. So i don't think that they'd look at Cal poly or UC Davis. And I don't think either school would ever give up their low travel costs for what could be considered a downgrade in conference affiliation, with the ONLY carrot being a potential FCS playoff bid. If Cal Poly or UC Davis has a good year, they've proven they can get an at-large bid. And it saves them millions in travel costs over time.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:43 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Not expansion based, but some new cost cutting measures by the Big Sky:

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2009/ ... costs.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:02 am 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
tarkiokid wrote:

Couple things:
* Butler: I like them alot and thought they should have been an option rather than Boston University or Detroit the last time the A10 discussed expansion (took StL and Charlotte when CUsa had their major changes). But if you're the Big East non-football schools and there is a split, I think it's a virtual assumption in the sports world that xavier would be the school selected. They have the facilities, budget and success that the Big East would want, along with the Cincy market they'd be losing from the departure of Cincy. After them, Dayton is a logical candidate based on success, budget and facilities. The NCAA favors them as well. After those 2, you have St. Louis whom DePaul and Marquette favor joining. Even Charlotte might make the list if football doesn't take off. Regardless, you have a number of schools (3) at worst, that would be invited before Butler even gets reviewed.

* Dakota St schools: the facilities are a big step down for the MVC. So while it makes sense based on NDSU winning the summit and the geography, both schools need to raise tens of millions to build new facilities before they'd be serious players in the MVC. Would love to see it though.

* the UMass window never opened. When the BE 2003 changes started, Providence pushed for UMass to be added as an replacement for Boston College. But the Big East never called and certainly never game a sweet deal like UConn, St. Johns and GTown (only UConn took the deal to upgrade to IA football). If UMass were to ever join the BE, it would mean upgrading on their own as an indy, maybe join the MAC, win conference titles, increase their attendance numbers to 50,000, build a new stadium...just doubtful it will happen. USF had a good situation with CUSA and then the BE: Tampa market, an NFL stadium. UMass has to do it all on their own.

* I don't think the Big sky would be unhappy is Sac St. left. Many fans complain already about travel their as well as NAU. So i don't think that they'd look at Cal poly or UC Davis. And I don't think either school would ever give up their low travel costs for what could be considered a downgrade in conference affiliation, with the ONLY carrot being a potential FCS playoff bid. If Cal Poly or UC Davis has a good year, they've proven they can get an at-large bid. And it saves them millions in travel costs over time.

With Butler, I think a new conference from the non-BE teams would take Xavier, Dayton, AND Butler, then probably St. Louis to balance out the travel. That already gives you a darn good hoops conference, maybe not the same level as the current big East, but you do get a boost from these schools coming in compared to the Eight as is. I went with St. Louis instead of Charlotte because the market is there, it's not too far out of the footprint, and it keeps everyone private, with ND as an Independent for time being and the other football schools content at being I-AA. Charlotte is a public school with I-A aspirations, which makes them less attractive considering they'd bail for a full-sports affiliation if/when they move up.

I see your point on the N/SDSU's facilities, but with more success, the more money that will come in. I think the MVC would put up with a few years of their facilities if there are plans to upgrade in place. I just see them now trying to get in a solid place, and stay one step ahead of the Joneses (UND/USD).

I do actually see an opportunity for UMass to get help with an upgrade during a conference split. The BE offered Georgetown and SJU the opportunity knowing full well that neither university could or would take it, on top of the facility upgrades needed, they'd also need a TON of help going from 0 to 85 schollys, and as private schools that's nearly impossible. It would have made more sense to offer that to Villanova, however I dunno if that was ever on the table for them. If the fb-BE schools can't find a 10th with attractive basketball (assuming they overlook Memphis's NCAA sanctions and if they can keep up their basketball success), UMass may end up being that answer if the economy is back on its feet.

Cal Poly has proven to be able to get an at-large berth, but UCD hasn't as of yet. While they would sacrifice the compact footprint of the Big West, it would also make football a lot easier to schedule around, and instead of having to give money games to D-II schools, they could keep their money games with the I-A teams and not have to shell part of that out, keeping that to help with the slightly expanded travel. It would be a longshot, but of the carrot can be sweetened a little, they may just bite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It's been a while.

Anyway, my pic from PGE Park in Portland yesterday.

The final funding plan was approved by the Portland City Council last week. The equipment was in place already (per a waiver allowing other work to be started), so things are going quickly.

PSU will probably play in Hillsboro or elsewhere this season (baseball and soccer will play this summer after turf is re-laid over footings that will support the next phase). Next year, the new east side stands will be in place adding 4,000 seats to the facility, MLS Portland Timbers the primary tenant, and Portland State a hopeful beneficiary.

In the process of selling this to the city, PSU has been claiming that this will help them leave FCS for FBS. In reality, there's a ways to go in drawing enough fans to reach that milestone, never mind the current NCAA moratorium.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

may i ask why would the big west want Sacramento state? Couldn't they try to get cal state San bernardino instead? Since San bernardino has no football team they could be a better fit for the big west. i would think it would be better for the school to stay were it is.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If Sac St. dropped football they'd be a natural fit being a CSU. If/when the BW(9) expands CS Bakersfield should be next and UCSD (even better fit) is looking into D-I. CSUSB has not looked into D-I.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next