NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The article that I posted the link to states that "the Fighting Sioux" has been the mascot since about 1930.

I think I read somewhere that before that it was "the flickertails" (I think a species of bird).

"Tatanka" sounds like a Native American term.... Somewhere, someone is already offended by that idea....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

funny how in that article they only quote students or people who are part of the university about "what the name means to them". what about the standing rock tribe, who were the "thorn in und's side" with the whole situation? if they didnt want to get behind the name, obviously someone who is a part of that tribe was offended. arent their opinions the ones that hold water about what the name means? seriously, what does it matter what a buncha white people think about the naming issues? of course they think its absorb & that it didnt offend anyone. what grounds do they have to stand on that it would offend them? none.

as ive been stating all along, thank god common sense & logic prevailed in this situation. hopefully now with the law repealed, that that same common sense/logic will prevail with the big sky brass & allow UND to just be a FB only member & have all their other sports elsewhere I.E. TSL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Kim Jong Skillz wrote:
funny how in that article they only quote students or people who are part of the university about "what the name means to them". what about the standing rock tribe, who were the "thorn in und's side" with the whole situation? if they didnt want to get behind the name, obviously someone who is a part of that tribe was offended. arent their opinions the ones that hold water about what the name means? seriously, what does it matter what a buncha white people think about the naming issues? of course they think its absorb & that it didnt offend anyone. what grounds do they have to stand on that it would offend them? none.

as ive been stating all along, thank god common sense & logic prevailed in this situation. hopefully now with the law repealed, that that same common sense/logic will prevail with the big sky brass & allow UND to just be a FB only member & have all their other sports elsewhere I.E. TSL.

Just stop, you have no idea what went on, they needed 3 tribes to approve the name, two did and one never even took up the issue. Many of the people of that tribe came out in support of the nickname only the leaders refused to do anything about it. This whole thing was much to do about nothing, till this day you find some Seminoles against Florida St's use of the nickname however the vast majority of tribes support it, this seems to be a very similar issue however the few people that are against the nickname just seem to be in a position of power which is the cause of this whole debacle. Had they taken a vote from the tribe and turned down UND's use of the nickname I think most reasonable people would support that however there was no vote, and a few people on in charge of a small tribe took it upon themselves to ban the use of the nickname. There have been petitions by hundreds of members of that tribes and the other two wanting UND to keep the nickname but to no avail. This is dumb and I'm glad its over but in no way shape or form has "common sense & logic prevailed" all that did was politics of a few old men getting their way at the expense of the nation of Sioux people, the state of North Dakota, and its flagship university.

And if in the future you choose to once again preacher racial sensitivity to all these "white people" I suggest that you do it with a handle that's less offensive and not modeled after an oppressive dictator, it just makes you look like a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

i know exactly what went on. i realize it took the permission of all 3 tribes but 1 tribe didnt take a vote. so technically what i said was valid. that some people in 1 tribe were offended & hence they werent able to get the permissions. thats where my "logic" statement comes into play. some people were offended, so by that logic get rid of the name. do you get it?

i never mentioned a "what if" scenario where the 3 tribes took a vote now did i? if i had, i would agree with you that most likely they would have given the permissions, but now were talking about hypothetical. go ahead & pick & choose which parts of my statement you want to respond to.

if you want to attack my statement, how about you use some reading comprehension before hand? how about you analyze where my statement came from? the people that quotes were taken from in that article were non native americans who were associated with the school. those arent exactly the type of people who have ANY understanding of the people who are offended. do you understand this? if you did, then you would realize my statement was insinuating instead of getting quotes from non native americans, how about you get some quotes from the standing rock tribe or those who ARE offended? go back & read that article again & read the quotes. each quote is talking about how they may have to change the name, but it wont change who they are. again, my statement says that those arent exactly the people whose opinions were offended by the name, so their opinions are moot on the subject.

who exactly is my handle offensive to? its a play on words & if any person would be offended, it would be south koreans. they are the only ones who are even ALLOWED to be offended by my name because of a shitty leader that i made a play of words with his name. anybody in their right mind, would realize im not in support of kim jong il, but have something called idunno a sense of humor? in no way, is my handle using any derogatory terms, now is it? dont be mad at me because you dont agree with what i had to say. you dont even know what race/ethnicity i am. im gonna take a guess that youre a white caucasian male?

now if i had gone out & said fuck koreans & if my name was "god should kill all koreans", thats offensive. but a satirical play on words of a world dictators name, being offensive? come on man, you can do better then that. thats something an ignorant person would be offended by. you seem to know your stuff about athletics & seem to have a college education. how about try using it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

First I never questioned anything but your statement that "common sense & logic prevailed" so feel free to question my reading comprehension but that has no bearing on anything and I could easily shoot that one back at you.

My entire point was that a few people (less than 10 I believe) changed the nickname of a flagship university despite being supported by the majority of Sioux people, Sioux tribes, the state, the university, and citizens/students. Feel free to attack that point if you wish but that seems illogical and goes against what most people would say is common sense.

However now I'm questioning your point about only those races can be offended by racial issues. So you have to be a Native American to be offended by UND's nickname and a South Korean to be offended by your handle, and an African American to be offended by the "N" word, or a woman to be offended by sexism? That is moronic. I can be offended by plenty of things without ever being attached or apart of them. The Quakers were offended by slavery and they weren't slaves, and many Caucasian students were offended by the Ole Miss Mascot and changed it, in fact 7 of the 10 head petitioners that championed the change were white.

And yes, I do personally find your handle unnerving just like if anyone had handle named after Chairman Mao, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, or any other brutal dictator, but I'm not Asian, Jewish, Russian, or Italian so I must be ignorant. I find handle's like that distasteful, my rule of thumb is if you were put on a witness stand tomorrow and were embarrassed to verify your email/message board handle/ect in front of friends, family, coworkers, and even strangers then it is probably not a good thing. That being said I believe in free speech so go ahead and do what you will but I personally don't like it and would never approve of my kids from using them either.

I'm not sure why you get defensive when people challenge your point of view, but feel free to attack, call me whitey and suggest that I'm obtuse. I get it the internet is fun because its anonymous and you can do almost whatever you want without repercussions, but I come on these board to see and share opinions, if this is how you deal with differing opinions then I'll just avoid your posts in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Salt Lake Trib article with comments from Big Sky Commish regarding future of his league at http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/532 ... n.html.csp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Its back...

"Is it the return of the Fighting Sioux? Supporters of the University of North Dakota's nickname turned in more than 17,000 signatures Tuesday night to cap a petition drive to force a statewide vote on a moniker the NCAA says is insulting to American Indians."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ition-work

For yall who don't know the NCAA said thay UND could use the name if all three major tribes in the area signed off on it, 2 held referendums which passed with ease but the leaders of the final tribe refused to do so, so some of the tribe's members took it upon themselves to gather signatures to show their support.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This is BEYOND comical. Not sure what outcome these folks are planning on, but they ae hurting North Dakota vis-a-vis both the NCAA and the Big Sky.

When I read of the new ND logo (with inter-locking N and D), I got an idea.

Lets go with that ND logo, change the nickname from "Fighting Sioux" to "Fighting Irish".
Put little leprechaun hats on the Indian Warrior's head....
DONE !!!! NCAA has completely approved that !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Grand Forks with comments from Big Sky Commish regarding current UND nickname situation at http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... p/homepage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 pm 
Junior
Junior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Grand Forks with comments from Big Sky Commish regarding current UND nickname situation at http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... p/homepage

Ya know what...Let the people of the state decide and not the holier-than-thou NCAA. It may be a "voluntary" association, but the association stepped WAY over its bounds on this WHOLE issue!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Fargo-Moorhead with comments from UND AD regarding Big Sky/UND nickname situation at http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... oup/Sports

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NYTimes article discussing current UND nickname situation at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/sport ... limbo.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:18 pm 
Junior
Junior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
NYTimes article discussing current UND nickname situation at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/sport ... limbo.html

Is it time for North Dakota to return to Division 2? I wonder if that is a possibility being considered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

That solves nothing. North Dakota has a lot invested in D-1. Truly they want to wind up in the Summit / MVFC.
D-2 is still NCAA, and that is who has the issue with "the Fighting Sioux" name, so this nickname issue is going to follow them wherever they go,
until they replace it, which is what the school administration is now determined to do.

The Big Sky invited them, thinking they were getting North Dakota / South Dakota as a pair.
With South Dakota in the Summit / MVFC, North Dakota is really an out-lier in the Big Sky.
The Big Sky is stuck with an odd number and might really prefer an excuse to boot North Dakota.

If North Dakota resolved their nickname issue, I think the Summit would take them in, however the Summit doesn't control the MVFC, and
North Dakota still needs a home for football.
I keep thinking the Summit might expand to 12 with North Dakota, SEMo (OVC), and UALR.
North Dakota and SEMo both play football, and the MVFC could expand to 12....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:48 pm 
Junior
Junior

tute79 wrote:
That solves nothing. North Dakota has a lot invested in D-1. Truly they want to wind up in the Summit / MVFC.
D-2 is still NCAA, and that is who has the issue with "the Fighting Sioux" name, so this nickname issue is going to follow them wherever they go,
until they replace it, which is what the school administration is now determined to do.

The Big Sky invited them, thinking they were getting North Dakota / South Dakota as a pair.
With South Dakota in the Summit / MVFC, North Dakota is really an out-lier in the Big Sky.
The Big Sky is stuck with an odd number and might really prefer an excuse to boot North Dakota.

If North Dakota resolved their nickname issue, I think the Summit would take them in, however the Summit doesn't control the MVFC, and
North Dakota still needs a home for football.
I keep thinking the Summit might expand to 12 with North Dakota, SEMo (OVC), and UALR.
North Dakota and SEMo both play football, and the MVFC could expand to 12....

I see your point. If The Summit League wants, they can have UND (it would fit their new geography perfectly). But the MVFC is another animal, I don't see anything happening there unless YSU or one of the eastern teams opts out. I just don't see that happening unless something happens to cause some movement around the OVC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next