NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:09 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

KSBY out of California reporting Cal Poly to the Big Sky for FOOTBALL ONLY

http://www.ksby.com/news/report-cal-pol ... e-big-sky/

Tute made an excellent point that this may be a preemptive move by the Big Sky to provide stable FCS homes to potential WAC candidates therefore decreasing the possibility of a mass Big Sky defection to the WAC.

Cal Davis still a wildcard. Stink for Bakersfield too that its football only

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ACCSeahawk,thanks for the post.Unfortunately that source has nothing DEFINITE to report.
Apparently the Big Sky will issue some type of release at about 2pm MT with a teleconference by the league Commish scheduled for 5pm MT.
Stay Tuned.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:48 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I've heard from sources today that Cal Poly and UC Davis are set to join the Big Sky as affiliate members.

Still waiting for confirmation on the potential for a 3rd school, SUU, to be included.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ne ... 03286.html

looks like it will be both california schools for football only

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ACCSeahawk, thanks for your posts on this Big Sky expansion story.
Official Big Sky release regarding league expansion(Cal Poly and UCDavis for FB only).Sounds like the Big Sky is looking to add more schools in the future. Link at http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2010/9/7 ... 00731.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I found this.....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39024702/ ... rtainment/

Fullerton said more to come (possibly). It sure sounds like SUU would make a dandy #12, and Fullerton even admitted that the Big Sky was taking a hard look at them recently.

Question - Would Sac. State want to vacate their Big Sky membership in all but football, and go Big West ? They would then have a similar set-up to UCD and Cal-Poly, and Southern Utah would take Sac. State's spot for all sports. And then they'd have 12 for football.

So Sacramento State may be negotiating wiht the Big West, and that could be what is holding up the SUU invitation.... OR NOT.... I'm just speculating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I agree with you tute. If I am Sacramento St, I would really be pushing for the Cal Davis, Cal Poly deal with the Big West/Big Sky football. Regardless Southern Utah makes too much sense now not to be added sooner rather than later because Big Sky obviously wants 12 for football.

Depending on what Sacramento St. wants Big Sky is looking good either way if they add Southern Utah as full member with either a 10/12 setup or a 9/12 setup. Both would work well in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Another thought....

If the WAC members see the "writing on the wall" that the WAC is dead, I wouldn't entirely discount the posssibility of Idaho moving back down to FCS and the Big Sky.

Again, pure speculation. If you were President / AD of University of Idaho, what are your options ????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The timing of this is just really weird. To me it seems like Cal Poly and Cal Davis would not be doing this if they were planning on going to the WAC, so I am not going to consider them WAC candidates for the time being. My eyes are on Sacramento St. now. Their AD seemed to really want to move up in an article I read. They are already in the WAC for baseball, a core sport, so I think of all the Big Sky schools, they are the most likely to go WAC. Montana just does not seem to want to move up or either can't shake their Montana State problem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

here is the article is was referring to with comments from the sacramento state ad
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 002e0.html

however, after reading this other article, the loss of fresno and nevada may have really taken the enthusiasm out of sacramento state to the wac.
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/20/297104 ... te-uc.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think it was a preemptive move for Sac St. jumping to the WAC and keeping CA in the footprint. If SUU is added then maybe not, but why just 2 now and not all 3 if they really think there will be 12 in the conf.

If SUU is added and Sac St. leaves then they call UND.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

tute79 wrote:
Another thought....

If the WAC members see the "writing on the wall" that the WAC is dead, I wouldn't entirely discount the posssibility of Idaho moving back down to FCS and the Big Sky.

Again, pure speculation. If you were President / AD of University of Idaho, what are your options ????

The same thought occurred to me as well -- although I personally think it makes sense to add SUU, maybe the Big Sky is holding a seat open at the table just in case?

Regards, Driver 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If WAC collapses, Big Sky is now poised to fill in the gap with relative ease.

San Jose St. and Sacramento St. get the Cal Poly/Cal Davis deal with football only with other sports in the Big West
Idaho and Utah St join for everything

FOOTBALL

PACIFIC DIVISION
San Jose St.
Sacramento St.
Cal Poly
Cal Davis
Portland St
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado

MOUNTAIN DIVISION
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho St
Utah St
Montana
Montana St
Weber St

If Utah St. gets the MWC bid they desire then substitute Southern Utah for Utah St. and move Southern Utah into the Pacific Division and Northern Colorado in the Mountain division. I put Northern Colorado in the Pacific division instead of Eastern Washington because I bet they both want to be in the Mountain division but Eastern Washington has seniority

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SaltLake Trib article with comments from Big Sky Spokesman John Kasper regarding league expansion.According to Mr Kasper today's moves were apparently meant to be proactive in case of future raids with a future goal of having a 12 school,two divisional FB league.Mr Kasper indicates that the Big Sky plans to have expansion discussions in October with the apparent notion of adding a full time member.SUU was mentioned as a candidate in this article.Link at http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/502 ... l.html.csp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Reading between the lines of Mr. Kaspar's comment in the article, I'm even more convinced now that the Big Sky is waiting to see if the WAC falls apart even further. If the stated goal is to get to 12 football-playing members, Southern Utah or North Dakota are available right now -- why wait until October? I can't see the conference alignments of either SUU or UND changing drastically over the next month or so, but can the same be said for Idaho or San Jose State?

Regards, Driver 8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next