NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Wichita discussing some "possible" future conference options for MVC member Wichita State as it waits for it's consultant's report at http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 68637.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Wichita with update on WSU conference search at http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 36837.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Fargo Moorhead with comments from MVC-FB Commish regarding possibility of WSU joining for FB at http://www.inforum.com/sports/4049449-k ... ita-states

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I can understand why the MVFC schools aren't interested in helping Wichita St get football off the ground. The Shockers want to be be in the AAC.

Ultimately for that to happen though, either Navy has to decide they'd rather be an independent again or someone is going to have to leave the American. Another massive alignment likely won't occur again for almost a decade. Why not let the Shockers football team in now and see if they can bring anything to improve the league in the short term.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:33 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Fargo Moorhead with comments from MVC-FB Commish regarding possibility of WSU joining for FB at http://www.inforum.com/sports/4049449-k ... ita-states" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was it me...or did that lady commish seem like a total bitch? Why would she talk noise against a potential conference member? Her comments seemed very short sighted.
WSU is a good school with a bunch of potential....and deserves to be included in any MVC moves...even in the short run.
Also, the MVC would have plenty of lead time to add them and then prepare for their departure if it ever came to that. Hard to believe the MVC would prefer W. Illinois over WSU??? Plus, IF, WSU started fb....they would probably be a whipping post for at least one or two years....which would be a nice extra win for a few teams during that duration.
Not to mention...the fact that Missouri State is looking towards their future in a better conference.

Worst case scenario for WSU....Oly's in the MVC and fb in the SunBelt(possibly with Mo State in the same situation)??
Would the Belt pass on WSU(with or without Mo State) because of their impending kick in the pants to NMSU???
It's really hard to gauge the SunBelt. They seem very much like a chicken minus the head. Poor, poor SunBelt.

Big XII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The MVFC is NOT sponsored by the MVC. the MVC can't sponsor football, unless there are minimum of 6 MVC football teams in the league. There are NOT currently - there are 5 (plus 4 in Summit, plus Youngstown State). the league had previously been known as the "Gateway Conference". The names CAA and MVFC would lead you to believe that the FB leagues are sponsored by the D-1 all-sports conferences, but in each case, the FB leagues are essentially independent.

I think Doug Elgin still runs the MVC, and Patty Viverito runs the MVFC and the Pioneer Football League (D-1 FCS, non-scholarship football), both independent of the MVC. Those football conferences effectively rent space from the MVC.

I would love to see North Dakota join the MVC / MVFC, and Wichita State join the MVFC. I think Patty's comment is that Wichita State has made public statements that if they start up football, it's solely intended to facilitate moving ALL THEIR SPORTS to the AAC or similar conference. And selling Wichita State FB to the MVFC members is difficult if they feel they are "being used".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Wichita reporting that WSU FB feasibility report has been released.Link at http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 93007.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Fargo Moorhead with comments from MVC-FB Commish regarding possibility of WSU joining for FB at http://www.inforum.com/sports/4049449-k ... ita-states" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was it me...or did that lady commish seem like a total bitch? Why would she talk noise against a potential conference member? Her comments seemed very short sighted.
WSU is a good school with a bunch of potential....and deserves to be included in any MVC moves...even in the short run.
Also, the MVC would have plenty of lead time to add them and then prepare for their departure if it ever came to that. Hard to believe the MVC would prefer W. Illinois over WSU??? Plus, IF, WSU started fb....they would probably be a whipping post for at least one or two years....which would be a nice extra win for a few teams during that duration.
Not to mention...the fact that Missouri State is looking towards their future in a better conference.

Worst case scenario for WSU....Oly's in the MVC and fb in the SunBelt(possibly with Mo State in the same situation)??
Would the Belt pass on WSU(with or without Mo State) because of their impending kick in the pants to NMSU???
It's really hard to gauge the SunBelt. They seem very much like a chicken minus the head. Poor, poor SunBelt.

maybe the Sunbelt could be convinced to let Wichita St and NMSU be football affiliates. Wichita is a lot closer than Moscow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
The MVFC is NOT sponsored by the MVC. the MVC can't sponsor football, unless there are minimum of 6 MVC football teams in the league. There are NOT currently - there are 5 (plus 4 in Summit, plus Youngstown State). the league had previously been known as the "Gateway Conference". The names CAA and MVFC would lead you to believe that the FB leagues are sponsored by the D-1 all-sports conferences, but in each case, the FB leagues are essentially independent.

I think Doug Elgin still runs the MVC, and Patty Viverito runs the MVFC and the Pioneer Football League (D-1 FCS, non-scholarship football), both independent of the MVC. Those football conferences effectively rent space from the MVC.

I would love to see North Dakota join the MVC / MVFC, and Wichita State join the MVFC. I think Patty's comment is that Wichita State has made public statements that if they start up football, it's solely intended to facilitate moving ALL THEIR SPORTS to the AAC or similar conference. And selling Wichita State FB to the MVFC members is difficult if they feel they are "being used".

My point wasn't to imply that both Missouri Valley conferences were one in the same. I think everyone is aware that they are separate. The point is....that both Missouri Valleys are controlled by a majority of MV schools(all 10 in one, and 5 in the other). Would the 5 schools on the fb side be willing to go against one of their partners on the other side of the MV?

Sure, it has been suggested that WSU will look towards the FBS....but, so might Missouri State(and possibly an Illinois school at some point. Because, the Ill. state legislature was looking for ways to put more schools into the Big 10 as some point. Which means a school would have to move up the ladder eventually to be eligible for the Big 10 inclusion. I, of course doubt that another Illinois school will be added to the Big 10, but, that shouldn't stop the State from pushing their schools up to the highest levels possible....ie: the MAC, CUSA or the AAC.

Would Mo St be willing to possibly ruin their relationship with WSU over WSU starting fb and needing a home, even if it is temporary(2-6 years in the future)? With Mo St knowing that they too will be short lived in that conference and could possibly be a running mate of WSU in their future endeavors.

Would the 4 other non fb playing schools in the MV put any pressure on the fb schools to cooperate with WSU to keep stability in the Oly side of the deal? After losing Creighton....could the MV stand to lose more of their top level talent this soon after?
There are some dynamics here that the lady Commish seems to be overlooking. All because she doesn't want to look like a doorstep....which I don't really agree with. That's why I suggested that the MV should allow WSU to start fb and be a member of both MV conferences even if it is short term.

Big XII

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Another article out of Wichita discussing WSU/FB situation at http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 23817.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Everyone on this board keeps thinking Missouri State wants to jump to FBS and play in the Sun Belt.
I live on the other end of the state (St. Louis) and have never heard this.
It is not as if Missouri State has been a dominant FCS team anytime lately....
If you look on a map, they are right in the middle of Oklahoma's (and OSU's, and Tulsa's) recruiting territory (which of course also includes Texas).

It's becoming apparent, that unless you are in the P5, FBS is a big money sink.
TV money for the G5 (with possible exception of AAC and BYU) ain't much, while FCS - > FBS means another 22 scholarships for FB (63 -> 85).
CUSA's TV revenue now appears to be non-existant. They DID sell some media rights to beNetwork, wchi appears to have some Al Jazeera affiliation...

Timeframe to go from no football to FBS ? I think Georgia State and UNC - Charlotte started up football and made the jump in maybe 3 years ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
Everyone on this board keeps thinking Missouri State wants to jump to FBS and play in the Sun Belt.
I live on the other end of the state (St. Louis) and have never heard this.
It is not as if Missouri State has been a dominant FCS team anytime lately....
If you look on a map, they are right in the middle of Oklahoma's (and OSU's, and Tulsa's) recruiting territory (which of course also includes Texas).

It's becoming apparent, that unless you are in the P5, FBS is a big money sink.
TV money for the G5 (with possible exception of AAC and BYU) ain't much, while FCS - > FBS means another 22 scholarships for FB (63 -> 85).
CUSA's TV revenue now appears to be non-existant. They DID sell some media rights to beNetwork, wchi appears to have some Al Jazeera affiliation...

Timeframe to go from no football to FBS ? I think Georgia State and UNC - Charlotte started up football and made the jump in maybe 3 years ?

I can only say that I've seen Mo St's name mentioned more than once when the SunBelt was looking to expand. If, Mo St isn't interested, no problem. Again, the timeline I was thinking of was from 2-6 years after WSU started their move up. Which could be anywhere from 3-7 years from now. Which would give Mo St plenty of time, if they were interested.

There was some really good info on the most recent Wichita St fb report that outlined the finances of four or five schools that made the jump to FBS.

Big XII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I can understand why the MVFC schools aren't interested in helping Wichita St get football off the ground. The Shockers want to be be in the AAC.

Ultimately for that to happen though, either Navy has to decide they'd rather be an independent again or someone is going to have to leave the American. Another massive alignment likely won't occur again for almost a decade. Why not let the Shockers football team in now and see if they can bring anything to improve the league in the short term.

With the Big XII looking closer to expansion all the time, one assumes Cincinnati is going to create an AAC opening. Maybe UCF/USF as well.

That opens the door for AAC expansion. You'd assume if they lost Cincy, their top candidate could be UMass. But others will be in the mix as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The time to have moved on football for Wichita State was when Creighton left for the Big East.

The WAC would have invited Wichita State, Missouri State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Northern Iowa. All five would have gone FBS, although Wichita State would be a year behind due to being a new program. The WAC would still need two more football schools ready to go immediately, so that would have been North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

With eight new schools coming on board for 2013, the WAC doesn't need to invite Cal State Bakersfield, Utah Valley, UMKC, Chicago State, Grand Canyon, or UTPA. Seattle, Texas-Arlington, and Denver likely stay, giving the WAC 13 for all sports and 10 in football.

South Dakota takes Idaho's spot in the Big Sky.

The four remaining MVC schools plus incoming Loyola invite Belmont, Murray State, and Valparaiso. Murray State, Indiana State, Youngstown State work out a football affiliation with the Big South.

Western Illinois joins the OVC for all sports.

The Summit, down to UMKC, Omaha, IUPUI, IPFW, and Oral Roberts, has no choice but to add Chicago State, NJIT, and UTPA from the Great West.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Grand Forks(previously posted in another thread)reporting that UND is negotiating to leave the Big Sky.Unclear whether they are interested in the MVC or just MVFC.Link at http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ ... mit-league

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next