NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm 
Senior
Senior

MVC expansion is tricky. Belmont is probably the best option, but if they go non football, the MVFC is unchanged and the Summit will be at risk. I think they need to go with a football school, Eastern Kentucky. Then they need to get North Dakota into the Summit/MVFC.

That would give the MVFC 12, the MVC 10, and the Summit a solid base of 6 (4 Dakotas, Denver, and UN-O). W Illinois is probably good with being with those 6 as well. This would allow Oakland and the Indiana-Purdue schools to leave and not risk the Dakota schools fleeing to the Big Sky.

I think if you go with Belmont and the three eastern Summit schools leave (bringing the conference to 6) you run the risk of W Illinois moving to the OVC. That or the Dakotas may need to make an all sports conference and the MVC could lose all their football schools.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
MVC expansion is tricky. Belmont is probably the best option, but if they go non football, the MVFC is unchanged and the Summit will be at risk. I think they need to go with a football school, Eastern Kentucky. Then they need to get North Dakota into the Summit/MVFC.

That would give the MVFC 12, the MVC 10, and the Summit a solid base of 6 (4 Dakotas, Denver, and UN-O). W Illinois is probably good with being with those 6 as well. This would allow Oakland and the Indiana-Purdue schools to leave and not risk the Dakota schools fleeing to the Big Sky.

I think if you go with Belmont and the three eastern Summit schools leave (bringing the conference to 6) you run the risk of W Illinois moving to the OVC. That or the Dakotas may need to make an all sports conference and the MVC could lose all their football schools.

I looked into it more I think Oral Roberts is their top option. They're the only one w/o fb that has an arena over 10K. Belmont, Valpo, Denver, UWM, UIC only have between 3,500 & 7,000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Belmont is closer to more MVC schools than ORU. UW-Milwaukee is also an option but have been bad at bball for a while.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cbd1.PNG

Denver or Belmont the likely replacement for Creighton
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... r/1973937/

shoulda just stuck w/ Belmont, I finally warmed up to ORU and they are a longshot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If Creighton leaves MVC baseball is down to 7. That might be a strike against Denver.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Belmont is closer to more MVC schools than ORU. UW-Milwaukee is also an option but have been bad at bball for a while.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cbd1.PNG

Denver or Belmont the likely replacement for Creighton
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... r/1973937/

shoulda just stuck w/ Belmont, I finally warmed up to ORU and they are a longshot.

Is there any single school that keeps the MVC a top 10 RPI conference/two bid league? Is there a way to estimate future conference RPI with all the changes and/or with hypothetical additions or do we all have to just take our best guess? I've never tried to figure out RPI so I have no idea if it's possible.

Just wondering, if Belmont is in a one bid league whether they move or not, seems it would be best to pick the one with the least amount of travel/easiest to win (unless there are major revenue increases). If the MVC adds three does that make them a two bid league?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I wonder if the MVC would consider going BIG and taking all the quality markets and programs available

MVC West: Denver, Oral Roberts, Missouri St, Wichita St, Drake, N Iowa, Bradley, Illinois St
MVC East: Indiana St, Evansville, S. Illinois, UIC, Loyal Chicago, Detroit, Belmont

They would make them the midwest version of the A10 while the A10 focused on the northeast and south.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

accseahawk wrote:
I wonder if the MVC would consider going BIG and taking all the quality markets and programs available

MVC West: Denver, Oral Roberts, Missouri St, Wichita St, Drake, N Iowa, Bradley, Illinois St
MVC East: Indiana St, Evansville, S. Illinois, UIC, Loyal Chicago, Detroit, Belmont

They would make them the midwest version of the A10 while the A10 focused on the northeast and south.

Don't forget Western Illinois.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

WIU brings no significant market nor another bid in men's basketball. I don't think WIU ever gets in unless if there is some reason to combine the MVFC into the MVC, but enough schools in the footprint play baseball for that not to be an issue.

The MVC is safe in baseball without Creighton at 7 schools. The MVC will only have four full members for men's soccer-the bare minimum-after Creighton leaves. Missouri State is one of those four members in men's soccer, but is flirting with FBS conferences and therefore a long-term question mark. Belmont, Denver, and Oral Roberts all play the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Denver told the MVC no? Why would they do that unless the MVC told them they're taking Belmont?

https://twitter.com/stuwhitney/status/3 ... 3759688706

https://twitter.com/stuwhitney/status/3 ... 8577917952

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Why not Murray State and Moorehead State? They seem like great additions along with Belmont.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Why not Murray State and Moorehead State? They seem like great additions along with Belmont.

They don't want 11 for football so Murray St. is out. Morehead St. was good when they had Fareed but nothing before or after.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

They don't want 11 for football so Murray St. is out. Morehead St. was good when they had Fareed but nothing before or after.

The MVC takes Murray St and the Summit takes UND and boom the MVFC has 12.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Wichita with comments from MVC Commish regarding league realignment at http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/09/270928 ... topic.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

By taking Belmont, the MVFC can keep the MVFC schools in the Summit. If the Summit starts to collapse, that can strain relations in the MVFC between the MVC and Summit members. Adding schools in the Dakotas will send schools like Indiana State and Evansville looking for the exits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

What if they added a private school like Loyola (Chicago) or Valparaiso? Would that keep the private schools happy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next