NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Post subject: Re: CAA Realignment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
America East currently sits at 11, so if they lose just Stony Brook, they may choose not to reload. Stony Brook's departure would cost America East its automatic bid in Women's Tennis, but it has already lost its bid in Men's Tennis, and its members are affiliates of other conferences in that sport.

Assuming it is Stony Brook and James Madison to the MAC, this puts CAA football at 10 members and overall membership at 9 schools. I would think finding a replacement in the state of Virginia has to be a priority to keep the southern schools connected to the rest of the conference. Liberty and VMI are the only remaining FCS programs in Virginia not playing in the CAA, and at this point Liberty probably has to realistically rule out FBS for an extended amount of time. The CAA adds Liberty for all sports, and Monmouth for football only.

If William & Mary walks also then VMI is next in line, allowing the SoCon to go after Gardner Webb. Richmond football leaving the CAA allows the CAA to pick up Kennesaw State for football only.

Presbyterian and Charleston Southern work out affiliation deals with the OVC and SoCon, giving each league a 10th member in football.

America East is actually at 9 members so the loss of Stony Brook would put them in a precarious spot but I think there are schools in the region that would welcome an America East invitation: Central Connecticut St, Monmouth, NJIT. I also think that if the CAA were to simultaneously lose the likes of James Madison and William & Mary and the feuding factions can't agree on a direction I think the Northern and Middle CAA members come into play.

Truthfully, I think it was a poor decision for a hybrid league with just 10 full members to stretch their footprint from Boston to Charleston. If the conference loses its geographic center (which has already eroded with the loss of ODU and VCU) they will be left with schools in two geographic regions with vastly differently agendas. If James Madison and William & depart then Elon, UNC Wilmington, and Charleston are going to be left isolated. At that point your options are really split up or build two six team divisions. I suppose you could fill the South with VMI, Citadel, and either Furman or Wofford to make 6 and Monmouth as the 6th in the north.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
The Seawolves United campaign was the first (and only) bit I've heard about Stony being *that* interested in a more significant football future. And, wow, just read this page from it. Some of the tidbits contain:

-a study of their programs' placement for maximum exposure and viability to access playoffs in all sports
-win a championship
-LaValle stadium goes to at least 15K
-"compete at the highest level of intercollegiate football"
-become a model program among AAU peers...

They want to expand a lot of facilities with this, and their timeline is 2015-20, meaning some of this is ongoing. They're scheduling FBS games until they're told they can't. They expect to win some.

At the very least? They're gone from AEast and CAAF. I don't think MAC's going to do much for them, either...so, what is their endgame? A P5?

My best guess is that they are counting on Buffalo to campaign for them in the MAC or they envision bypassing the MAC and finding an opening in the American. I don't see the American ever being a real option for them. Aside from UConn and Temple the conference has a Southeastern flavor and I don't see the league trying to hold on the Northeast if it loses either of those 2 to the ACC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for the info.

So is Seawolves United funded by the school, or is it just wishful thinking by a handful of fans with $2.79 ?

It takes a real financial commitment (and a plan, and some luck, and some timing) to pull all that off.

I guess everyone is inspired by Temple, who went from being kicked out of BE Football in 2003, to going 0-11 in 2005 (?)
to being 7-0 and ranked, before losing to Notre Dame in the last 2 minutes on National TV Saturday night.

But this sport is a zero-sum game in many ways, and as Temple rose, you now have UCF having gone from BCS Bowl to a trainwreck in 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
So is Seawolves United funded by the school, or is it just wishful thinking by a handful of fans with $2.79 ?

It takes a real financial commitment (and a plan, and some luck, and some timing) to pull all that off.

It's legit, it appears. They already have a pledge of $5 million from one family for the indoor training facility, and the site states there's been almost 1,200 donations. This only just launched, too, in late June/early July?

With these things, and what Stony only needs to really prove: can it raise even just half of the $100 million? That's a good sign you have a base that's interested in athletics without a clear or defined directive. Part of this campaign is to find some of the high-roller boosters, and that's not just for athletics, although this event takes its aim for them. Another part to this is trying to get some of the renovations they've wanted to do to LaValle but can't get via state funds.

The football stadium is aiming for this result. Looks much bigger than 15K. The current structure's over 8K. I think the renderings put the stadium in the 25-30K range.

My impression is: they pumped money into their basketball arena when they thought CAA was a target. That venue, however, is a paltry 4K. THAT is a red flag for FBS considerations, but, it looks like the fund will study other options for these facilities, if not lay some groundwork down for future projects.

I think you have another Coastal Carolina on your hands with them. They set a level, CAA, and got hosed by that conference's small-time politics. So, now they want bigger. Given how they stand, institutionally, and where they reside, yeah...this is a school with a potentially high ceiling. If they can find the money, they may get sent to the front. And by the look of their projects, they're being more explicit about their intentions than Madison and Missouri State are. Stony doesn't need to probably do what others must...Stony's a top-level national university and an AAU member. They won't have to work hard at all for this if they want it.

America East's kind of in a bad spot with that one, then. They don't want CCSU or NJIT. Monmouth's out there, but without football sponsorship, it puts Monmouth in front of CAAF, who probably don't want them (until some of the other associate members leave, like Villanova). Who else does that put out there?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article from JMU paper discussing possibility of CAA member JMU leaving for FBS at http://www.breezejmu.org/sports/jmu-ath ... d0778.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

FCS MB thread with speculation regarding possibility of Monmouth joining the CAA in the future at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... peculation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44