NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAA Realignment
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:43 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Stony Brook would be a rental at best anyway, but a very good rental without doubt. They will continue to climb that conference realignment ladder, and quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

accseahawk wrote:
now the caa needs a southern #12. caazone.com rumors that furman is the target. I would much rather have UNCG or Coastal

I don't see Furman unless JMU leaves. They now have 12 fb members. Albany and either Stony Brook, Fairfield, UNCG, will get the nod.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I would love Coastal but I don't think they could get the votes. UNCG would be a great add now and then down the road we could add Coastal when necessary

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesport ... east/16115

If Albany won't join without Stony Brook, CAA needs to suck it up add them both to the north and then add UNCG and Coastal to the south. They are the best options on the board now and a 14 team conference would make travel much more manageable with only 2 road interdivisional games required.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Richmond with comments from CAA Commish regarding addition of Elon and "possibility"of future CAA expansion at http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/col ... c90b8.html

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I hope that quote of Yeager means that they are considering 2, 7 team divisions thereby limiting travel in a major way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fairfield lacrosse to CAA.

Countdown begins to full membership...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:

So how did they get away w/ being in the ECAC(grandfathered?) and not the MAAC for lax? Is full membership a sure thing w/ this move? If not, it makes no sense to play all your other sports in the MAAC but not Lax.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:11 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

So how did they get away w/ being in the ECAC(grandfathered?) and not the MAAC for lax? Is full membership a sure thing w/ this move? If not, it makes no sense to play all your other sports in the MAAC but not Lax.

Fairfield sees their lacrosse as superior to the other MAAC programs in the areas of budget, etc. The CAA is a much better conference for lacrosse, hence the move. It's not fair on the surface, but since the MAAC doesn't force the issue, Fairfield gets to go where they want.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Fairfield sees their lacrosse as superior to the other MAAC programs in the areas of budget, etc. The CAA is a much better conference for lacrosse, hence the move. It's not fair on the surface, but since the MAAC doesn't force the issue, Fairfield gets to go where they want.

Yeah, I think the MAAC said it was ok to move to ECAC because its lacrosse was more established and organized. Fairfield has, in the past, held the proverbial gun to MAAC's head about having the wandering eye.

That no longer being the case, this particular move is to get themselves into position for full membership. They don't want to be members of MAAC anymore...it's either CAA or Patriot.

CAA gets its replacement for Penn State, though it didn't technically need one, and makes it that much harder for Stony and Albany.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So how is Fairfield higher on the CAA all sports list than Albany, Siena, Monmouth, Iona, CCSU, UNCG? I know SBU is blocked by Hofstra but the rest, I'd take all of those over Fairfield.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
So how is Fairfield higher on the CAA all sports list than Albany, Siena, Monmouth, Iona, CCSU, UNCG? I know SBU is blocked by Hofstra but the rest, I'd take all of those over Fairfield.

I don't think Fairfield is high as a CAA all-sports candidate...I think it's just as simple as the CAA needing a replacement in lax for Penn St.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I don't think Fairfield is high as a CAA all-sports candidate...I think it's just as simple as the CAA needing a replacement in lax for Penn St.

They wouldn't appear to be that high, and I think Fairfield would rather be in the Patriot, but this is the CAA...was Elon that necessary no matter how stranded UNCW and Charleston felt? They didn't really *need* to replace PSU, but that they felt they needed to, why go with a team who hasn't made the playoffs in almost ten years?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

They wouldn't appear to be that high, and I think Fairfield would rather be in the Patriot, but this is the CAA...was Elon that necessary no matter how stranded UNCW and Charleston felt? They didn't really *need* to replace PSU, but that they felt they needed to, why go with a team who hasn't made the playoffs in almost ten years?

I think location played a role too...close to UMass and Hofstra. Also, not a lot of options. If the CAA could have done better for an affiliate lax member, they would have...but what other real options were there?

As for your Elon comparisons...Elon has football...CAA needs football schools to maintain sponsorship They have JMU, UD, Towson, W&M and Elon. That's 5 of the required 6 they will eventually need to keep full sponsorship of the sport. They might drop the "full" part (getting a vote) in favor of just the brand recognition, ala MVFC. But for lax, it's not an issue. Fairfield makes #7 overall, and the 3rd affiliate member.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I think location played a role too...close to UMass and Hofstra. Also, not a lot of options. If the CAA could have done better for an affiliate lax member, they would have...but what other real options were there?

As for your Elon comparisons...Elon has football...CAA needs football schools to maintain sponsorship They have JMU, UD, Towson, W&M and Elon. That's 5 of the required 6 they will eventually need to keep full sponsorship of the sport. They might drop the "full" part (getting a vote) in favor of just the brand recognition, ala MVFC. But for lax, it's not an issue. Fairfield makes #7 overall, and the 3rd affiliate member.

It's convenient, sure, but it doesn't make the league better. Except for the two football affiliates, they haven't filled the holes with good contributors. Even CoC...yeah, they were good in the 90's...they fell off the map in SoCon, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next