NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Atlantic Sun Realignment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

America East will probably do something stupid like invite Merrimack, and if Stony Brook goes FBS they'll invite someone like Mercyhurst or Bentley to get an AQ in Ice Hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:25 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Don't understand America East's logic. They were in need of at least one other university as they were going to lose their Men's Swimming program (AQ and program), Men's Tennis program (AQ and program) and Women's Tennis program (AQ) but they did nothing. The only thing they did is invited NJIT's Women's Tennis program as Associate Member.

But with NJIT leaving for Atlantic Sun, they would lose their Women's Tennis AQ and most likely the program as it does not make sense for the remaining schools to continue Women's Tennis at America East since the athletics can never reach NCAA level even if they are good.

So America East paid dearly losing 3 programs for not adding another member. Some may argue the Men's swimming is a not important sport but what about Tennis? All flagship academic schools sponsor Tennis. Now America East schools are the only ones that seemed at a disadvantaged position.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

eastsidefan wrote:
Don't understand America East's logic...Now America East schools are the only ones that seemed at a disadvantaged position.

Who knows. It's going to cost them Stony Brook, though. Those guys are gone within five years, if one believes the claims and intentions of their fundraising campaign. They kind of put it right out there that they want access and viability for national championships. Given what AEast did there, assuming they don't have some trick up their sleeve, this did nothing but probably motivate Stony to leave even faster.

The question is, does that help NJIT any? And if so, where does ASun go? Nobody feels this pickup is a longterm thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
eastsidefan wrote:
Don't understand America East's logic...Now America East schools are the only ones that seemed at a disadvantaged position.

Who knows. It's going to cost them Stony Brook, though. Those guys are gone within five years, if one believes the claims and intentions of their fundraising campaign. They kind of put it right out there that they want access and viability for national championships. Given what AEast did there, assuming they don't have some trick up their sleeve, this did nothing but probably motivate Stony to leave even faster.

The question is, does that help NJIT any? And if so, where does ASun go? Nobody feels this pickup is a longterm thing.

My best guess is that elements of America East are banking on internal strife in the CAA and the departure of members such as JMU and Wm & Mary to present America East with the opportunity to grab some of those schools so they are staying small at 9 members to allow for expansion at a later date if the right schools become available. Acquisition of Delaware & Towson would bring the America East football and then round out to 12 with either Drexel for the Philadelphia market or invest in Central Connecticut St or Monmouth as a additional football program.

Stony Brook definitely has visions of grandeur but I'm not sure where they think they are headed. Hofstra is blocking them from the CAA. Are they thinking the MAC will look East and grab them and JMU?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
My best guess is that elements of America East are banking on internal strife in the CAA and the departure of members such as JMU and Wm & Mary to present America East with the opportunity to grab some of those schools so they are staying small at 9 members to allow for expansion at a later date if the right schools become available. Acquisition of Delaware & Towson would bring the America East football and then round out to 12 with either Drexel for the Philadelphia market or invest in Central Connecticut St or Monmouth as a additional football program.

Stony Brook definitely has visions of grandeur but I'm not sure where they think they are headed. Hofstra is blocking them from the CAA. Are they thinking the MAC will look East and grab them and JMU?

AEast might be closer to a meltdown than CAA. I mean, right now, they ARE still closer to one than CAA/F. Where that trickles down to ASun and any share of Big South Football ASun might have, I don't think ASun picks up anything from it. Private schools in CAA and AEast are more likely to petition the likes of NEC, MAAC, SoCon, and Big South. Public ones...I don't know. I mean, AEast used to be big, and much of what's in CAA is from AEast. There's some bad blood, but how bad is it, and could ASun pick anything up from that? Doubtful. I mean, UNCW, CoC, and Elon? Elon's probably the most reachable for ASun, if just because they ticked off too many people in SoCon, but Big South will take them. CoC's probably on good enough terms for SoCon. UNCW? Seems like a stretch. Big South or OVC more likely than ASun. I doubt SoCon goes to bat for them, but they, too, would be in line before ASun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

AEast might be closer to a meltdown than CAA. I mean, right now, they ARE still closer to one than CAA/F. Where that trickles down to ASun and any share of Big South Football ASun might have, I don't think ASun picks up anything from it. Private schools in CAA and AEast are more likely to petition the likes of NEC, MAAC, SoCon, and Big South. Public ones...I don't know. I mean, AEast used to be big, and much of what's in CAA is from AEast. There's some bad blood, but how bad is it, and could ASun pick anything up from that? Doubtful. I mean, UNCW, CoC, and Elon? Elon's probably the most reachable for ASun, if just because they ticked off too many people in SoCon, but Big South will take them. CoC's probably on good enough terms for SoCon. UNCW? Seems like a stretch. Big South or OVC more likely than ASun. I doubt SoCon goes to bat for them, but they, too, would be in line before ASun.

The CAA strife and internal bickering makes sense--the geography, the public/private split, the football/no football split. The AEast issues are a little more mind boggling.

Hartford being contrary makes sense--they are the only private and they don't play football and they don't want to be replaced by a public football school in their own state.

Binghamton ought to be more helpful. If they want to stay in the same league as Albany and Stony Brook they need to help their fellow SUNY schools get what they want. The same with Vermont--if their old rivalries with New Hampshire and Mainethen they need to support their pro-football agenda.

UMass Lowell doesn't really belong in this league and they shouldn't have been invited but after losing the Boston market the other members wanted it back. Then you have geographic outlier UMBC who is awful in basketball.

This is a conference where the weaker members are the ones getting their way and it's going to drive the stronger members away.

Tying this back to the A-Sun, when things hit a boiling point in CAA and AEast I think the best case scenario is that they are uneffected and worst case the cascade they cause leaves the A-Sun as collateral damage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of New Bern(previously posted in another thread)discussing ASUN/Big South member partnership announcement.Link at http://www.wcti12.com/sports/big-south- ... p/79647055

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The official Atlantic Sun page announcement is here: http://www.asunsports.org/general/2016- ... 0913d3jpxf

The door opens for the BS and ASun schools who have football programs in the Pioneer for automatic membership if/should they ever offer scholarships. Nothing's said on any scholarship numbers, though.

UNF and FGCU have conducted studies, but aren't ready to offer the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
The official Atlantic Sun page announcement is here: http://www.asunsports.org/general/2016- ... 0913d3jpxf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The door opens for the BS and ASun schools who have football programs in the Pioneer for automatic membership if/should they ever offer scholarships. Nothing's said on any scholarship numbers, though.

UNF and FGCU have conducted studies, but aren't ready to offer the sport.

This almost certainly means that the A-Sun intends to court 2 or more DII football programs in order to grow the ranks of their weak conference. There are several programs in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida the fit the mold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

And it lets those 3 Pioneer league programs know that if they are considering upgrading to FCS (full-scholly), they need not worry about an invitation.

This is a smart move. It may not amount to anything, but it is an invitation for those 3 Pioneer programs to consider moving up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
...if they are considering upgrading to FCS (full-scholly)...

I'm not convinced they have to go to BSF's max number. Maybe it's like Patriot and allows for a level determined by the school. That would DEFINITELY get some of these schools to make a move. When you have some of these schools getting dinged by Pioneer's aid/scholarship restrictions, especially in this era of higher education and collegiate athletics, it can't be better going the Pioneer route, can it?

fighting muskie wrote:
This almost certainly means that the A-Sun intends to court 2 or more DII football programs in order to grow the ranks of their weak conference. There are several programs in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida the fit the mold.

I think it just keeps the door open for UNF and FGCU if they do ever choose to look into football. FGCU's leadership thought it was a matter of when rather than if; time's the variable. I don't disagree about others out there. West Florida's sharing a minor league baseball stadium. Valdosta State seems to get some love here and there. UNG (just built a new multi-purpose arena)?

It's time both conferences move forward. I really hope they didn't commit time and resources to persuading MEAC or SWAC schools to come over. If it didn't happen by now, it probably never will.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The new Big South-ASun deal definitely stabilizes both conferences. The Big South gets an infusion of football affiliates/partners while keeping their compact footprint and not having to split the pie more than 10 ways while the ASun can be assured that the Big South will not pull away a key program like Kennesaw St away.

It also allows the football alliance to grow past its precarious 6 member structure in 3 ways:

1. Existing members with non-scholarship fb going to scholarships (Campbell, Stetson, Jacksonville)
2. Existing members starting up scholarship football (FGCU and UNF, maybe others)
3. A-Sun adding D-II schools who play football

I have to think that if paths 1 and 2 don't produce any new football teams in the next year then they have to go with option 3. Essentially its means that the ASun has to hold up their end of the agreement--provide the alliance with football teams but at the cost of splitting NCAA MBB tournament money 10 ways instead of 8. It's simply the cost of keeping the Big South from outright raiding their fragile conference.

Between North Alabama, West Alabama, Valdosta St, West Georgia, West Florida, and Florida Tech someone is bound to be interested now that their is a guaranteed football home at the FCS level for them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Florence reporting that D-2 member UNA is in talks with D-1 Atlantic Sun regarding possible membership.Link at http://www.timesdaily.com/sports/una_sp ... 5796f.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Naples with comments from A-Sun Commish regarding possibility that UNA "may" join that league in 2018.Link at http://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/ ... k/94818146

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Naples reporting that D-2 member UNA will be joining the A-Sun. Link at http://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/ ... s/95041806

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next