NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:
UALR and UTA will not leave the Sun Belt as long as they have a choice, and then the Summit might be preferable as it can build around Oral Roberts.

But why bother being on an FBS conference as non-football members in the first place?! Now with the power-hungry Power-5 conferences having some desire to expand to over 16 teams (whose full members must have football), I bet they might apply a rule to prevent that to happen, with the exception of Notre Dame.

SBC is far safer of a conference than the A-Sun and Summit. Plus the fbs money raises the value of the conf. over A-Sun, Summit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:
UALR and UTA will not leave the Sun Belt as long as they have a choice, and then the Summit might be preferable as it can build around Oral Roberts.

But why bother being on an FBS conference as non-football members in the first place?! Now with the power-hungry Power-5 conferences having some desire to expand to over 16 teams (whose full members must have football), I bet they might apply a rule to prevent that to happen, with the exception of Notre Dame.

SBC is far safer of a conference than the A-Sun and Summit. Plus the fbs money raises the value of the conf. over A-Sun, Summit.

Despite of what you said, which I can respect that, I still think that pure non-football full member schools don't belong to FBS conferences (except Notre Dame). Either if that school goes full membership with football or none.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, nobody on this board seems to embrace "hybrids", myself included.

The Sun-belt doesn't seem to have any mechanism (or desire) to kick UALR out, though.
UTA had vaguely promised to "consider" football, but has apparently backed off.

So given that reality, Benson helped out his buddies at Idaho and NMSU by providing a football home for them,
which compensates for 2 of the full members (UALR and UTA) not playing FB.
Idaho is a ridiculous out-lier geographically, but a few FB games a year (4 in Idaho, 4 where Idaho has to come to them) is no big deal.

Notre Dame is just a "user". Unless they have a secret long-term agreement to move their FB from independence into the ACC long-term,
they are just a leach. The ACC and Big Ten should have let them rot in the decaying American Conf. / Big East.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Yeah, nobody on this board seems to embrace "hybrids", myself included.

The Sun-belt doesn't seem to have any mechanism (or desire) to kick UALR out, though.
UTA had vaguely promised to "consider" football, but has apparently backed off.

So given that reality, Benson helped out his buddies at Idaho and NMSU by providing a football home for them,
which compensates for 2 of the full members (UALR and UTA) not playing FB.
Idaho is a ridiculous out-lier geographically, but a few FB games a year (4 in Idaho, 4 where Idaho has to come to them) is no big deal.

Notre Dame is just a "user". Unless they have a secret long-term agreement to move their FB from independence into the ACC long-term,
they are just a leach. The ACC and Big Ten should have let them rot in the decaying American Conf. / Big East.

Good points so far. Like UTA, UALR could have "consider to re-instate football", but so far, these schools don't feel like having those plans in mind, making things not so interesting; very unfortunate in my opinion. Look at South Alabama, the ONLY charter member (continuously and uninterrupted) within the conference who was mostly a pure non-football school until they plan to have the sport installed within the program in the early 2010's. The same applied with UTSA, started as a pure non-football school until 2010 or 2011 while mostly being in the Southland at that time.

Let's say UTA has added football, but would it motivate NMSU to aspire for full membership, while planning to gain a football-only affiliate on the East side within the Sun Belt's footprint (like Army or UMass)? So far, Idaho is VERY FAR away from the mostly South Central/Southeastern U.S. members the Sun Belt has.

Anyways, back to the A-Sun realignment stuff, that conference must find at least 2 more expansion candidates to keep up the 18-game conference-play schedule. So far, most of the membership schools, without East Tennessee State and Mercer since they'll head to the SoCon next season, are from Florida with 4, plus a school from Georgia (Kennesaw State), a school from South Carolina (USC Upstate), a school from Tennessee (Lipscomb) and a school from Kentucky (Northern Kentucky). Besides, has any of those mentioned schools within the past 15 years had sponsored football ever? All I know is that Jacksonville is one of them, and most recently Stetson.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah I hate hybrids too, I hate that Hawaii is football only too. I want all or nothing. I'm just saying that's why they won't leave. If I was in charge I'd be right w/ you in booting their asses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Yeah I hate hybrids too, I hate that Hawaii is football only too. I want all or nothing. I'm just saying that's why they won't leave. If I was in charge I'd be right w/ you in booting their asses.

At least there's someone who partly agrees with some stuff of my point. Hawaii has been on the FBS level since the inception of its athletic program. Played mostly as an Indy before joining the WAC in the late 70's/early 80's (like a similar path that UTEP took prior joining the WAC). In Hawaii's case, I still couldn't understand why their non-football sports had to downgrade to the Big West instead of being upgraded to the MWC; DESPITE of travel issues. Hadn't the Rainbow Warriors had certain times of good success in the past 15-25 years, like their only unbeaten regular season before losing to Georgia in the 2008 Sugar Bowl of the 2007 season or having certain shares of the WAC title on football (1992, 1999 and 2010)? Plus, they're a great powerhouse in men's and women's volleyball. Back to the hybrid issue, I hope that Benson knows what he'll be doing with UTA and UALR for the upcoming years.

And for the A-Sun issue, shouldn't 10 or 12 is the "new 8" in terms of a conference on sponsoring a sport? Just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I agree. The low midmajors need to bulk up to at least 10 if not 12 members in order to protect the viability of their conferences. The additional members allow for some breathing room for whenever one of the big boys makes a power play and sets off a reaction that leaves the little guys at the bottom scrambling to try to meet NCAA minimum membership requirements. This is particularly true for the A-Sun. They need to go after low hanging fruit from other leagues or dip into DII and start getting those schools closer to full eligibility. Leagues The Horizon also need to think about expanding too--NKU, IUPUI, and IPFW would give them neat tidy division play as well as in insurance policy. The WAC in particular needs to be soliciting upwardly mobile DII programs as they are at the greatest risk for dissolution.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

At least there's someone who partly agrees with some stuff of my point. Hawaii has been on the FBS level since the inception of its athletic program. Played mostly as an Indy before joining the WAC in the late 70's/early 80's (like a similar path that UTEP took prior joining the WAC). In Hawaii's case, I still couldn't understand why their non-football sports had to downgrade to the Big West instead of being upgraded to the MWC; DESPITE of travel issues. Hadn't the Rainbow Warriors had certain times of good success in the past 15-25 years, like their only unbeaten regular season before losing to Georgia in the 2008 Sugar Bowl of the 2007 season or having certain shares of the WAC title on football (1992, 1999 and 2010)? Plus, they're a great powerhouse in men's and women's volleyball. Back to the hybrid issue, I hope that Benson knows what he'll be doing with UTA and UALR for the upcoming years.

And for the A-Sun issue, shouldn't 10 or 12 is the "new 8" in terms of a conference on sponsoring a sport? Just saying.

yes, and will be in D-II by 2020 I believe. I wish D-I had a 10 team rule, except for the Ivy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

yes, and will be in D-II by 2020 I believe. I wish D-I had a 10 team rule, except for the Ivy.

I wish that there's an equal-balanced system in terms of conference membership, but due to the realignment changes in recent years, I doubt that it'll happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Ft Myers discussing A-Sun membership situation at http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/ ... ow/9990417

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Ft Myers discussing A-Sun membership situation at http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/ ... ow/9990417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say that for now, the A-Sun should stay at 8; giving the conference's staff members time to explore any possible candidates to join the A-Sun in the future.

So far, most of the members in the conference are from Florida. Therefore, the conference is basically not "technically" in the Southeast U.S. The A-Sun is the SSC of D-I, plus some non-Florida schools. for a non-football conference.

But they have got success in recent years such as Mercer (now heading to the SoCon), who upsetted Duke; and FGCU making it to the Sweet-16 the season before; as well as Kennesaw St. who's recently about to make to the CWS (if they win the Super Regionals first).

However, what will happen after the end of this upcoming season to look forward to 2015-16 and beyond? I say that it should add 2-4 members from D-II conferences as the SSC or the PBC (i.e. Tampa [whose baseball team had a whooping 54-4 record plus being national semifinalists in the D-II CWS] or another South Carolina school like USC Aiken, just for travel partner purposes with USC Upstate), because nobody from other conferences in D-I will downgrade to the A-Sun; especially those from former members like UALR (78-79 to 90-91) or CoC (92-93? to 97-98). As I would say: "Only time will tell."

Last edited by ncaanopaawaa2000 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Atlantic Sun Realignment
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Francis Marion (SC) and Georgia Regents already play in Division I in two sports - men's golf at both schools, women's golf at Georgia Regents, and women's soccer at Francis Marion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
Francis Marion (SC) and Georgia Regents already play in Division I in two sports - men's golf at both schools, women's golf at Georgia Regents, and women's soccer at Francis Marion.

Then how come that either of them aren't in the conversation for A-Sun candidate expansion yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:20 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Then how come that either of them aren't in the conversation for A-Sun candidate expansion yet?

Hard to catch a fish without a line in the water.

They haven't been mentioned yet, because, the A-Sun hasn't started looking for anyone yet(officially). The A-Sun has not mentioned one school thus far.
They won't be able to re-recruit schools that have already departed the conference, either.

Just like the WAC....it's DII or nothing(that's my guess).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Hard to catch a fish without a line in the water.

They haven't been mentioned yet, because, the A-Sun hasn't started looking for anyone yet(officially). The A-Sun has not mentioned one school thus far.
They won't be able to re-recruit schools that have already departed the conference, either.

Just like the WAC....it's DII or nothing(that's my guess).

Well, you do have a point. But I guess we have to wait when the 2014-15 season starts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next