Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:13 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
I get all that but that why I said they could be more competitive and even win titles in basketball. When we talk about divisions we are typically talking about football and basketball for the most part but as you point out they don't participate in the FCS post season and only play 3 out of conference games (mostly against local or other non-scholarship team) so I'm not really talking about fb. Maybe I should have made it more clear but I think downgrading to DII would help their basketball and give them a chance to win some title which they DO compete in.

Same reason Dallas will never leave the NFC East. History. Would they be more competitive if they moved down? Sure. Do they care? Not really.

And also, they're good in the sports no one cares about (well, I guess to be fair, sports I don't care about). So they'd want to stay in D-I for that. And the Ivy League has had some pretty good teams in the tourney lately. There are plenty of schools in D-I that aren't competitive as the Ivy schools...and they have scholarships.

But something should be done with the D-I football situation. I do think it's ridiculous to have schools without scholarships competing against schools that do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:54 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
I get all that but that why I said they could be more competitive and even win titles in basketball. When we talk about divisions we are typically talking about football and basketball for the most part but as you point out they don't participate in the FCS post season and only play 3 out of conference games (mostly against local or other non-scholarship team) so I'm not really talking about fb. Maybe I should have made it more clear but I think downgrading to DII would help their basketball and give them a chance to win some title which they DO compete in.

Same reason Dallas will never leave the NFC East. History. Would they be more competitive if they moved down? Sure. Do they care? Not really.

And also, they're good in the sports no one cares about (well, I guess to be fair, sports I don't care about). So they'd want to stay in D-I for that. And the Ivy League has had some pretty good teams in the tourney lately. There are plenty of schools in D-I that aren't competitive as the Ivy schools...and they have scholarships.

But something should be done with the D-I football situation. I do think it's ridiculous to have schools without scholarships competing against schools that do.

The Patriot League was made so that the Ivy League would have non-scholarship football teams to play when they added non-conference games to their schedules. Plus the big point of this is that these schools don't care about sports to nearly the same extent as other schools.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, the Ivy League members will continue to play whomever they want OOC, since they don't compete in the FCS Championship.

Patriot Football has moved on to the standard NCAA criteria (moving from the "Academic Index" and awarding scholarship equalavents, theoretically NOT tied to athletics
to coming out and calling a football scholarship a "football scholarship").
Fordham (curiously, only a Football AFFILIATE member) steered them away form this nonsense.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:19 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

For months, I've seen the new posts in this thread indicator and it just makes me giggle thinking about what the posts might be. I never actually looked until now. I just thought to myself: "Twitter says the Ivy might add Binghamton and Morgan State" and chuckled.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
For months, I've seen the new posts in this thread indicator and it just makes me giggle thinking about what the posts might be. I never actually looked until now. I just thought to myself: "Twitter says the Ivy might add Binghamton and Morgan State" and chuckled.

It would be cool if D-I implemented the D-II rule where all conf. must have 10 by 2020 or something. Give them Lafayette and Lehigh or let them have a D-III to D-I waiver and bring Johns Hopkins, MIT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I do think there is one scenario where the ivy could expand.

Should Football drive off the cliff and form it's own governing structure and leave the NCAA, I could see other like minded institutions seeking a relationship with the Ivy.

Perhaps not outright Ivy-expansion, but perhaps a joint venture - and Ivy-west, per se. I could see Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Duke (as examples) refusing to join the lemmings, and sticking with their values.