NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

C7 Meeting With Fox 1-9-13

It is being reported that each school will make 3 million each and no unequal revenue sharing.

Also being reported that interest in VCU as the 5th team in has been intensifying the last few weeks. Looks like they could give SLU a run for that last spot.

Plus, the C7 will be meeting in DC on Saturday, hopefully we will get some concrete news afterwards about the makeup of the league.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130109/catholic-7-tv/index.html?mobile=no

Edit:REMINDER;before posting articles please check that thread to see if has been previously posted.This is your second such duplicate(spam)article posting within the last 24 hours.
Are YOU even reading this board prior to posting or what?

Freaked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

bige wrote:
C7 Meeting With Fox 1-9-13

It is being reported that each school will make 3 million each and no unequal revenue sharing.

Also being reported that interest in VCU as the 5th team in has been intensifying the last few weeks. Looks like they could give SLU a run for that last spot.

Plus, the C7 will be meeting in DC on Saturday, hopefully we will get some concrete news afterwards about the makeup of the league.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130109/catholic-7-tv/index.html?mobile=no

Interesting St.Louis vs VCU for the last spot. I figured it would be Dayton vs VCU. Since Xavier is right near Dayton and their market. St.Louis and Richmond are pretty good markets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

bige wrote:

This is unfortunate for St Louis. I wonder if its necessarily SLU that is going to be left out or if Creighton could be on the chopping block.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
bige wrote:

This is unfortunate for St Louis. I wonder if its necessarily SLU that is going to be left out or if Creighton could be on the chopping block.

It reads like Creighton is likely in. If St.Louis is left out, I bet they fill Creighton's spot in the MVC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Someone at DePaul or Marquette has apaprently been pushing for Creighton.

Good BB program and the fit the general school profile.

I live in St. Louis, but have no connection to the Billikins.

Nonetheless, SLU has invested in some nice new facilities, and I'm thinking St. Louis is a better market than either Dayton or Omaha !

Let's think about travel partners....
East - Providence (Rhode Island), St. Johns (NY), Seton Hall (NJ), Villanova (Philly), Georgetown (D.C.)
If we're going to 12, you could add an eastern school and pair the 6 up most any way imaginable.
If they want to stay with the Catholic profile, I think maybe Holy Cross (MA) or Duquesne (Pittsburgh) fits in well.

West - Pair up DePaul (Chicago) and Marquette (Milwaukee), Xavier (Cincy) and Dayton, and Butler (Indy) and St. Louis U.

Politics will determine whether Creighton is in or out, not your damn green-blooded logic, Spock !!!!
Still, I think Omaha is rather isolated from the other schools.
If Dayton were seen as redundant to Xavier (both SW Ohio), you could pair Xavier with Butler, and St. Louis U with Creighton, I suppose.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Reports have been indicating 12 schools.

Also, that VCU has been moving up the pecking order.

So if Creighton is in, I would still think that means Dayton is potentially left out.

Because if you add Creighton, VCU, Butler, and Xavier...do you need Dayton which is nearby Xavier?

And if you add Creighton in Omaha, NE, wouldn't it make more sense to add St. Louis, which has great facilities, provides access to the St. Louis market, serves as a bridge to connect DePaul/Marquette/Butler/Xavier with Creighton?

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I mean assuming they setup 2 division East/West or Midwest/Coast (play teams in yours twice others just once) we know that the original BE 5 want to stay together GT/Nova/SH/StJ/Prov and DePaul/Marquette/Xavier/Butler make a good block.

The push for VCU probably has less to do with liking VCU over SLU/Dayton add more to do with creating the best divisions they can. VCU fits with the rest of the original 5 better than an Ohio school and unfortunately that leaves a well deserving candidate out in the West.

I agree with Quinn that Dayton seems like the best school to leave behind, Xavier can still play them OOC, but then you have a nice grouping of schools in OH/IN/IL/MO +NE/WI with no overlap that probably delivers the most bang for your buck, HOWEVER....

If its true that the Catholic 7 already have a TV deal ready to go regardless of who they chose then why not pick the best like minded schools and just play as a divisionless league?

Side note: I'd push for some of these schools to start LAX and possibly use that as a tie breaker when picking, this new league will just be 2 teams shy of an autobid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tkalmus wrote:
I mean assuming they setup 2 division East/West or Midwest/Coast (play teams in yours twice others just once) we know that the original BE 5 want to stay together GT/Nova/SH/StJ/Prov and DePaul/Marquette/Xavier/Butler make a good block.

The push for VCU probably has less to do with liking VCU over SLU/Dayton add more to do with creating the best divisions they can. VCU fits with the rest of the original 5 better than an Ohio school and unfortunately that leaves a well deserving candidate out in the West.

I agree with Quinn that Dayton seems like the best school to leave behind, Xavier can still play them OOC, but then you have a nice grouping of schools in OH/IN/IL/MO +NE/WI with no overlap that probably delivers the most bang for your buck, HOWEVER....

If its true that the Catholic 7 already have a TV deal ready to go regardless of who they chose then why not pick the best like minded schools and just play as a divisionless league?

Side note: I'd push for some of these schools to start LAX and possibly use that as a tie breaker when picking, this new league will just be 2 teams shy of an autobid.

Good point on lacrosse. the C7 have 5 members and need a 6th. But I don't see anyone of the candidates as an option right now but like with Marquette, things could change.

Also worth noting in the Big Ten expansion is that the ACC lost it's 6 school conference when Maryland left. With Syracuse and Notre Dame, they have 5 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quinn wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I'm all for a divisionless league if it means getting Dayton into the conference. You don't have to have divisions in order to have a common sense approach to scheduling---just have a standing agreement that St Louis/Marquette/DePaul/Creighton will always play each other twice each season, Butler/Dayton/Xavier always meet up twice a season, and the 5 East Coast original BE schools always play twice each season. The Commissioner's office can just fill in the rest of the schedule as needed. The Butler/Xavier/Dayton block ends up becoming the swing schools that double up on a combination of East Coast and Midwestern schools. The deal probably works out nicely for Xavier/Butler Dayton because they will get roughly the same exposure on the East Coast as will in the Midwest.

As for lacrosse, I am sure both the Catholic 7 and ACC will be able to find enough programs out there to get enough to make the NCAA minimum. Ohio St for instance fits nicely in the middle of the Catholic 7s footprint.

By chance does anyone know who made the lacrosse map on wikipedia b/c it isn't working right?--you can't zoom in on it at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

fighting muskie wrote:
Quinn wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I'm all for a divisionless league if it means getting Dayton into the conference. You don't have to have divisions in order to have a common sense approach to scheduling---just have a standing agreement that St Louis/Marquette/DePaul/Creighton will always play each other twice each season, Butler/Dayton/Xavier always meet up twice a season, and the 5 East Coast original BE schools always play twice each season. The Commissioner's office can just fill in the rest of the schedule as needed. The Butler/Xavier/Dayton block ends up becoming the swing schools that double up on a combination of East Coast and Midwestern schools. The deal probably works out nicely for Xavier/Butler Dayton because they will get roughly the same exposure on the East Coast as will in the Midwest.

As for lacrosse, I am sure both the Catholic 7 and ACC will be able to find enough programs out there to get enough to make the NCAA minimum. Ohio St for instance fits nicely in the middle of the Catholic 7s footprint.

By chance does anyone know who made the lacrosse map on wikipedia b/c it isn't working right?--you can't zoom in on it at all.

(Being that the ACC has never had enough to reach the minimum, I'd say they won't unless someone internally like BC adds lacrosse...since they will only expand if they lose schools and UVA and UNC are two of the schools that could leave.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Hartford(previously posted in another thread)with comments from UConn AD shooting down rumors that his school is looking to join the Catholic 7 at http://articles.courant.com/2013-01-11/ ... o-big-east

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hoops Weiss at NY Daily News discussing SJU and new Catholic BB league at http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.1239044

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The thing about Dayton and markets and being "so close to Xavier" is misleading.

Market sizes are determined by census data that has nothing to do with television (or sports). It's a formula of statistics the census bureau came up with. And a while back, enough people commuted that Middletown, Ohio (halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati) was lumped into the Cincinnati DMA. The idea that Middletown TV viewers belongs to Cincinnati (and Xavier) and not Dayton (and UD) is absurd.

In Cincy-Dayton-Middletown you have fiver primary fan bases: Cincinnati, Xavier, Dayton, Kentucky, and then Ohio State/Other.

In June, the US Census Bureau is going to announce revised DMAs, and it's highly likely the Dayton and Cincinnati-Middletown DMAs are merged.

Does Xavier deliver that entire market by themselves? No. Adding both X and UD gives you the plurality of fans in Southwest Ohio. That's the #16 market in the country with 3,200,000 people.

You can find a 12th MARKET with more viewers than Dayton, but you can't find a 12th team that DELIVERS a bigger market than a Xavier-Dayton combo would.

The Cincy-Dayton DMA is the number SIX market for college basketball by total viewers. Ahead of Philly, KC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, etc. More people watch college hoops in Dayton than in Phoenix.

If Dayton isn't the C7's fourth choice, they're idiots.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:53 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

JPSchmack wrote:
The thing about Dayton and markets and being "so close to Xavier" is misleading.

Market sizes are determined by census data that has nothing to do with television (or sports). It's a formula of statistics the census bureau came up with. And a while back, enough people commuted that Middletown, Ohio (halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati) was lumped into the Cincinnati DMA. The idea that Middletown TV viewers belongs to Cincinnati (and Xavier) and not Dayton (and UD) is absurd.

In Cincy-Dayton-Middletown you have fiver primary fan bases: Cincinnati, Xavier, Dayton, Kentucky, and then Ohio State/Other.

In June, the US Census Bureau is going to announce revised DMAs, and it's highly likely the Dayton and Cincinnati-Middletown DMAs are merged.

Does Xavier deliver that entire market by themselves? No. Adding both X and UD gives you the plurality of fans in Southwest Ohio. That's the #16 market in the country with 3,200,000 people.

You can find a 12th MARKET with more viewers than Dayton, but you can't find a 12th team that DELIVERS a bigger market than a Xavier-Dayton combo would.

The Cincy-Dayton DMA is the number SIX market for college basketball by total viewers. Ahead of Philly, KC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, etc. More people watch college hoops in Dayton than in Phoenix.

If Dayton isn't the C7's fourth choice, they're idiots.

I don't think you'd find anyone arguing that Dayton and Xavier aren't more or less the same market. It's the same with the LA DMA...Riverside used to be it's own DMA but was absorbed into LA.

But I think people are talking more of redundancy in that if you are a new conference looking to add quality programs AND new markets to increase the TV value, then it could come down to a choice. And that choice, despite Dayton's excellent support and appela, would be to put Xavier as the top pick. Now if it came down to opting between say Creighton (smaller market very much to the west), Duquesne (a less program in a good C7 city) and Dayton, then Dayton could very well be the pick based on the points you made.

But if it were between say St. Louis, a program with good facilities, growing support (and has shown not that long ago it can have great support) AND a larger and new TV market for the C7, then St. Louis likely would be the pick.

I think the C7 should keep it simple: Add what works, add what you know, add what has been proven. Go with Xavier, Butler and St. Louis for 10. Go with Dayton and EITHER Creighton or VCU for 12.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Can they just pull the damned trigger on anything?

This is the worst season of following men's basketball I can remember. And I'm a St. Bonaventure fan who's team went 32-110 following the welding scandal.

I got the A-10 board where everyone is just trumpeting why their school is better than everyone else's for the C7.
I got the C7 board, where everyone is just taking dumps on anyone not in the C7 or Xavier/Butler.

Idiots are reporting different, stupid stuff daily and people are taking Katz one-liners like "Don't be surprised if Georgetown pushes for Richmond" and acting like Richmond is in, VCU, Creighton, Dayton and Saint Louis are out and the apocalypse is happening to their program.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next